Sponsored

Powerboost or 3.5L Ecoboost To Tow 7000 lb travel trailer?

docprego

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia
I had a Powerboost XLT on order to tow my 7000 lb travel trailer. Then I found out it had a 30.6 gallon tank, and the few videos and forum posts I found showed towing MPG to be around 8 or less, sometimes significantly less. So I switched my order to the 3.5L Ecoboost which has the 36 gallon fuel tank. I figured weighing about 500 lb less than the Powerboost combined with that 36 gallon tank would make it a much better tow vehicle. I believe the Powerboost will not utilize the hybrid powertrain while towing so there shouldn't be any MPG gains and in fact that 500 lb difference will probably mean the 3.5L Ecoboost will have better towing fuel economy.

Am I thinking correctly? Which would you choose to be primarily a tow vehicle?
Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Oops! I didn't know you cross posted or I would have answered here. That "other" forum didn't realize you have analyzed payload stickers to death already. I'll cross post my analysis here too, in case anyone cares.

And for what it's worth, for range I'm ok with ~300 miles because my family doesn't like to drive 5hrs straight, we usually pull over at a truck stop or even a rest area if no truck stops. I get gas there just because we're parked anyway using the restroom. So giving up the final 60 miles of range was ok for us, as we can run the A/C while eating lunch now with powerboost. I think everyone is different and would totally understand if someone wants that extra range though!

-----begin cross post----------

My stats are a 2017 EB 4x2 max tow pulling 7500# TT, I settle into cruising speed of 60mph max (my preference) and I get between 9.5-10MPG towing.

I expect the wind resistance and aerodynamics to be the same moving to my new PB. The biggest difference will be the axle ratio. But it isn't as straightforward as I wish it would be, because I'm not maxed out at 10th gear when towing!

When towing my setup, in tow/haul mode it settles into 8th gear max (it would RARELY go into 9th, only a few times I remember tapping the accel on a slight down grade). So there are 2 more gears of less RPM's that would in theory get better MPG, but the truck's computer feels they can't comfortably pull. Since my EB had an axle ratio of 3.55, and it could usually only use the first overdrive gear (8th) but RARELY ever 9th, it tells me that the minimum comfortable towing ratio is somewhere between 3.55x0.854 (3.03 total) and 3.55x0.689 (2.45 total). The truck will pick 8th so that it exceeds the minimum it needs, but *maybe* it is close to being able to use 9th, because I got it a few times....

Ford F-150 Powerboost or 3.5L Ecoboost To Tow 7000 lb travel trailer? 1615353244263

The new PB is going to have slightly different effective ratios. 8th gear would put it at 3.73x0.854 (3.19 total) while 9th gear gives 3.73x0.689 (2.57 total). What I'm optimistic for, and it would be pure luck, is if the required towing gear ratio for my setup can be met by a 2.57 effective ratio of 9th gear, I will be MORE efficient than my EB. If I settle into 8th gear again, I will be LESS efficient than my EB.

All this is going to be specific to every individual's towing resistance, which is a function of the weight and (mostly) aerodynamics at your cruising speed. So everyone's will vary. I would not take 8MPG as the golden reference, you need someone like me that is towing the EXACT same rig in order to do a proper apples-apples report and I will absolutely be over analyzing this when I eventually get my dang truck and do some camping.

laujoyjoy

First Name
King
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
I believe the Powerboost will not utilize the hybrid powertrain while towing so there shouldn't be any MPG gains and in fact that 500 lb difference will probably mean the 3.5L Ecoboost will have better towing fuel economy.
I don't think this is true. When you switch to tow haul mode, the truck will limit to 8 gears and disable EV mode (i.e. electric only mode), I don't think it will stop the electric motor assisting the engine during tow.

Last edited:
OP
OP

docprego

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia
I don't think this is true. When you switch to tow haul mode, the truck will limit to 8 gears and disable EV mode (i.e. electric only mode), I don't think it will stop the electric motor assisting the engine during tow.
I'm not sure what the facts are regarding this. I've seen several mentions that the hybrid powertrain is essentially inactive in tow/haul mode. One person stated that it is to avoid unnecessary strain on the electric motor and battery. Again I am not certain so clarity here is still needed.

kmayer

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 F250
Occupation
Web Design Agency
I'm not sure what the facts are regarding this. I've seen several mentions that the hybrid powertrain is essentially inactive in tow/haul mode. One person stated that it is to avoid unnecessary strain on the electric motor and battery. Again I am not certain so clarity here is still needed.
I don't know the answer to this, but my money is on the powerboost helping while towing given the direction that automobile powertrains are headed coupled with the fact that towing is when you most need the extra power.

Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
If I had my got damn truck I would tell you guys! I plan to have fun watching the "power distribution" screen when I tow to see if the electric ever kicks in while I tow. I don't *expect* it to, but if the computer decides it helps? Well great! Maybe I will get better than my current 9.5MPG towing in my EB.

OP
OP

docprego

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia
To revitalize this thread, has anyone had any experience towing with a Powerboost recently? I am most curious about MPG numbers. I'd love to know if the Powerboost will give me any MPG advantage over the 3.5L EcoBoost when towing.

Thank you.

OP
OP

docprego

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia
My VIN# was issued last week after I started this thread and therefore no further changes could be made. But that was ok as I decided to stick with my order for the 3.5L Ecoboost. My build date is April 19th.

smitty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Powerboost
My trailer is listed as 6800# dry, and I typically get around 11 MPG when towing with my '21 Powerboost. Sure, when I'm heavy footed, MPG will read around 8. But I average 10-11. What I like about the Powerboost is the low range torque provided by the electric motor. I'm in Colorado and have no issues pulling up hill or accelerating. And until they put the generator into an F250, I'm sticking with the truck.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
My trailer is listed as 6800# dry, and I typically get around 11 MPG when towing with my '21 Powerboost. Sure, when I'm heavy footed, MPG will read around 8. But I average 10-11. What I like about the Powerboost is the low range torque provided by the electric motor. I'm in Colorado and have no issues pulling up hill or accelerating. And until they put the generator into an F250, I'm sticking with the truck.
I'm getting about 8 mpg with my powerboost pulling a 6500 lb TT @ 65 mph.

Sponsored

wayne b

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat PB
Just did a 2400 mile trip with PB (Lariat that's on the heavy side) 6000# trailer. Average was 13.4 mpg for the trip, included a bunch of grades in California, Arizona, New Mexico. We drive slow, 55-60 and I think speed as it relates to mpg is a big factor that doesn't get mentioned that often.

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
I am fairly sure my PB will upshift to at least 9 pulling my 7600# TT in Tow/Haul mode, if I do not manually limit it. I think I might have even seen 10 on a long flat stretch…

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
Just did a 2400 mile trip with PB (Lariat that's on the heavy side) 6000# trailer. Average was 13.4 mpg for the trip, included a bunch of grades in California, Arizona, New Mexico. We drive slow, 55-60 and I think speed as it relates to mpg is a big factor that doesn't get mentioned that often.
Definately on the speed factor. Someone posted a chart where they had collected a lot of MPG data towing at various speeds for an Ecoboost here a while back - the knee of the curve is very steep beyond ~ 60 MPH.

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I had a Powerboost XLT on order to tow my 7000 lb travel trailer. Then I found out it had a 30.6 gallon tank, and the few videos and forum posts I found showed towing MPG to be around 8 or less, sometimes significantly less. So I switched my order to the 3.5L Ecoboost which has the 36 gallon fuel tank. I figured weighing about 500 lb less than the Powerboost combined with that 36 gallon tank would make it a much better tow vehicle. I believe the Powerboost will not utilize the hybrid powertrain while towing so there shouldn't be any MPG gains and in fact that 500 lb difference will probably mean the 3.5L Ecoboost will have better towing fuel economy.

Am I thinking correctly? Which would you choose to be primarily a tow vehicle?
In general, I think that your analysis is pretty sound. Slightly less weight and 15% bigger gas tank should give you additional range, and I think that the EV benefits are minimal while using Tow/Haul mode. (You might offset some of that lower fuel economy with the PB when you're *NOT* towing, but I recognize that towing range is a significant concern here, so I understand why you would likely discount that offset.)

I made the opposite decision and went with a PB to be used primarily for towing a 6500lb travel trailer (and a family of 5 in the vehicle). With everything else being (nearly) equal, the ability to power the trailer with the truck outweighs the slightly worse towing range, in my opinion. But I can absolutely see how you would come to your conclusion, if you don't intent to use it that way much.
Sponsored