• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tesla opening Superchargers to other automakers this year.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
I would guess they are started development when 150kW was cutting edge and couldn't switch over without disrupting the timetable or causing lots of rework ($$). Could be some other engineering tradeoffs I am not aware of though. My background is much more mechanical than electrical.
Or it could be that they have yet to finish all the certification testing...you have to destroy a lot of packs through "safety" testing.
Sponsored

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
There is a CCS1/Tesla adapter that allows Tesla owners to use EA chargers. A bit spendy at $563 but then Tesla's Chademo adapter was $450.

It would let me fully test out the 150kW EA chargers in anticipation of the F150EV, so I ordered one. Figure I'll make it back when I sell the Tesla as it will come with Chademo and CCS1 adapters. Meantime I'll have a year's(?) usage before the F150 gets here.

https://ev-lectron.com/products/lec...ith-ccs-type-1-chargers-for-tesla-owners-only

Last edited:

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
It will be interesting if Tesla can build a Tesla CCS adapter for Fords and Chevys and that qualifies the Tesla plug stations as "universal" as required for the funding to built out EV charging infrastructure. Paying $500 for a Tesla adapter to use Tesla stations is problematic vs. the Tesla adding CCS cords and plugs to existing chargers. That would be something Tesla could do that would qualify is making the Tesla chargers universal.

I think Musk's statement are aimed more at EU where Tesla already deploys CCS adapters and where Tesla could make money quickly by selling power to other EV's.

Sponsored

Theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Etron,Chevy Volt,BMW I3,Mach-E,F150 Lightning
I don't think the rule making entity for that $7.5 Billion will even allow 'preferential' treatment for TSLA vehicles. No such thing exists on the other networks.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I don't think the rule making entity for that $7.5 Billion will even allow 'preferential' treatment for TSLA vehicles. No such thing exists on the other networks.
It does, but it is in the form of a membership. So Telsa could make a membership for their supercharger network and give all Tesla owners a free membership. Others could join for a price.

Theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Etron,Chevy Volt,BMW I3,Mach-E,F150 Lightning
It does, but it is in the form of a membership. So Telsa could make a membership for their supercharger network and give all Tesla owners a free membership. Others could join for a price.
We will have to see but such a situation would be ripe to legal challenge. Membership will have to open to all citizens or it is not open at all. Once you take Federal dollars, all kinds of strings come with it, esp. if you are trying to stay proprietary. Just can't see any rule making body allowing this to pass.

I can't even see the TSLA plug passing the smell test as it is not a approved standard.
Sponsored