• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Automakers Face A Threat To EV Sales: Slow Charging Times

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
The lightning is not for people who tow long distances. Those customers should just buy the powerboost hybrid model.
I'm going to tow 100 miles one way with the F150EV, is that "long distance"? And as long as you don't mind charging so you can be zero emissions (at least with the tow vehicle) it is totally doable.
Sponsored

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
No, definitely had paid chargers turned on. Maybe I just need to play around more. Can always just call hotels anyways. Would be really nice if Expedia (or similar listed it as a searchable amenity)

Edit: Hotels.com let's you search by it. Nice!
Good that Hotels.com has it. Airbnb just added it recently, too, I think. There used to be a backdoor way, but now it's a normal filter, apparently.

Probably good to check Plugshare anyway, because a hotel may "have a charger", but it could be a 120V outlet that's always blocked or something.

Maybe make sure you've got "Restricted Locations" turned on, also. That defaults to OFF, sometimes and a lot of hotels are marked that way because only people staying there are supposed to use them. The map markers are brown for Restricted Locations, so if you're not seeing any brown ones, it's probably off.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Tesla canceled as it did not pencil out as profitable.

Lowest price Model 3 is $40k.
Quit moving the goalposts when the previous claim is debunked.

It wasn't a popular option, so they ended up just making it by software locking an SR+, so yeah, it was inherently less profitable than the SR+ because it had the same costs. Demand didn't justify making the version they originally intended with metal roof, cheaper interior, etc.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Quit moving the goalposts when the previous claim is debunked.
There is no $35k Tesla. it was too popular and Tesla would have gone broke had they matched demand.

But this thread is about claim that fast DC charging speed of 150 kWh is somehow a threat to EV sales and that's just not true. It's not even on the radar as the several sources such as Consumer Reports and NYT quoted by this article point out the main reasons people are reluctant to buy EVs.

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/the-biggest-complaints-about-electric-cars/

The high cost of EVs vs. ICE cars is mentioned, the side topic above.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
There is no $35k Tesla. it was too popular and Tesla would have gone broke had they matched demand.
There isn't anymore, but you claimed they "never" made it, which is incorrect. They did sell it for 20 months.

It was not "too popular." Tesla said it wasn't that popular and it's easy to see why : buyers got 20 miles of extra range and autopilot for just ~$3k more, so most went for the $38k SR+ instead of the $35k SR.

But this thread is about claim that fast DC charging speed
You brought up the subject of the $35k Model 3, not me.

Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer
@ChasingCoral can answer as well, but I've used Plugshare in the past.

You can use their "Trip Planner" if you log in and it will show you your route and you can tell it how far off the route you're willing to go to get to a charger (say, 2 miles), and it will show every charger along your route within 2 miles of the route.

Also, Plugshare is the best website/app, currently, for figuring out how good/reliable/etc. any particular charger is. It's user filled, but it shows photos and recent check-ins so you can see if people have recently used it successfully, if it's commonly blocked, etc.
Agreed. Plugshare has been the best resource. A Better Route Planner (ABRP) also has tools that help with this.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired oceanographer
No, definitely had paid chargers turned on. Maybe I just need to play around more. Can always just call hotels anyways. Would be really nice if Expedia (or similar listed it as a searchable amenity)

Edit: Hotels.com let's you search by it. Nice!
Do you have your filters allowing J-1772 chargers? That's your L2 that you will use overnight. I just searched on Toronto and saw a veritable sea (lake) of chargers in the downtown area.

Plugshare can be a better choice than Hotels.com as the charger may be adjacent to the hotel but not listed. I charged free in a municipal parking garage next to a hotel in Raleigh. I also charged free in a Starbucks parking lot adjacent to a Best Western.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired oceanographer
I'm going to tow 100 miles one way with the F150EV, is that "long distance"? And as long as you don't mind charging so you can be zero emissions (at least with the tow vehicle) it is totally doable.
You may even be able to make that as a round trip. Time will tell.

Sponsored

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
You may even be able to make that as a round trip. Time will tell.
Not really. Towing is tough on the cars energy usage, EV or ICE. For a 300 mile range to be able tow 5k# and get 33% of that 300 mile would be solid.