• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tesla opening Superchargers to other automakers this year.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Wrangler Rubicon and 2018 Mini Cooper S Count
Occupation
overpaid computer nerd.
https://electrek.co/2021/07/20/elon-musk-confirms-tesla-open-superchargers-to-other-automakers/

Elon Musk has confirmed that Tesla plans to open its Supercharger network to other automakers later this year.

It’s something that has been in the works for a while.

It’s hard to put a number on that value, but there’s no doubt at this point that Tesla’s Supercharger network is the most extensive electric vehicle fast-charging network in the world.

Instead of relying on third-party charging networks like most other automakers, Tesla developed its own network from the ground up, which was more of a necessity, considering how early Tesla was with electric vehicles.
That’s a big deal.
Sponsored

Louis

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.enormis.net
Vehicles
21 F150 Crew 3.5 Lariat Sport 502a 6.5bed FX4
Occupation
Biz Owner

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
I disagree. This is a HUGE Deal!!! :)
I disagree. It's no deal at all, yet. Tesla wants other manufacturers to kick in for the cost of the network, and then someone needs to make an adapter. It'll be years before it becomes truly available for non-Teslas.

wingfiry

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
My understanding is that yes, he does plan to Open the network to other manufacturers.... *but*, only in Norway.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Yes initially it will only be Norway and then trickle down to the U.S. Musk is not stupid, he knows there are better products coming out. He already hinted at the CT being a limited production with a normal Truck coming later.

Musk knows allowing others to use his SC network will be a money maker. They will charge a different rate for non-Teslas. Which I am willing to pay for fast consistent charging.

Sponsored

Lime Green

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, Expedition Max, Tesla...
I disagree. It's no deal at all, yet. Tesla wants other manufacturers to kick in for the cost of the network, and then someone needs to make an adapter. It'll be years before it becomes truly available for non-Teslas.
They will begin opening the network this fall with most locations (read: all V3 charger locations) open before the end of Q1 next year, possibly as soon as the end of this year.

Adapters already exist. I’m expecting Tesla to use a dual/hybrid charge port on upcoming vehicles like they do in Europe. So newer cars will have both the Tesla connector and a CCS connector.

Other manufacturers do not need to buy in to have access. Tesla is opening up the network to all. You plug in and pay via the app on your phone/ car registered on the network, same as with Electrify America or EV-GO chargers. Tesla network supports the Plug & Charge standard, same as EA and EV-GO.

Tesla has the largest network. They’re already charging all their customers for its use with the exception of the few who still have unlimited charging perks. May as well open up to monetize it and charge everyone else who wants to use it.

Lime Green

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, Expedition Max, Tesla...
…Elon deleted his tweet about timeframe. But Norway first. USA/Canada next.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Adapters already exist
There are adapters from J1772 to Tesla destination chargers, but who cares. There are no adapters that will let you connect cars with CCS connectors to Tesla superchargers.
Other manufacturers do not need to buy in to have access
https://techcrunch.com/2021/07/20/e...harging-network-to-other-evs-later-this-year/
“We’ve always said that we’re — this is not intended to be a walled garden, and we’re happy to support other automakers and let them use our Supercharger stations,” Musk said in 2018. “They would just need to pay the share of the cost proportionate to their vehicle usage. And they would need to be able to accept our charge rate or at least — and our connector, at least have an adaptor to our connector. So this is something we’re very open to, but so far none of the other car makers have wanted to do this. But it’s like not because of opposition from us. This is not a walled garden.”
Even though Tesla charges most users, Superchargers are still subsidized. Musk is looking for additional revenue and will attempt charge anyone who will pay.
So newer cars will have both the Tesla connector and a CCS connector.
Even if someone decides to produce a Frankenstein car with 2 or more connectors, it'll be years before this exists, and will obviously be of no benefit to those who buy cars predating these.

Theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Etron,Chevy Volt,BMW I3,Mach-E,F150 Lightning
We will see. If history is any guide nothing usable will come of it. This is not the first time TSLA has tried this only to back out later. Not the lack of comment on joining the de Facto industry standards.

Historically TSLA will demand all manner of compensation and demand standards to conform to their peculiar implementation and then the Musk kid will lose his cool and stomp off into the darkness. I also suspect its yet another way to control cost as the network is wildly unsustainable.

There are 2 items that that are compelling TSLA to do this.

- The CCS network has started to rival TSLA and has access to much better locations than TSLA can ever get. Read gas stations. Plenty of TSLA cars are charging at CCS stations these days. So TSLA is going to push their dongle at these stations in lieu of Chaedomo possibly.
- Second Federal tax dollars will not be available to closed networks. So TSLA is angling to get a slice of that and still find a way to make it impractical for others to use their network..

That said I will reserve my judgement to see if this time things are different.

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
Correct.
Just in time for when our Lightnings start to lose a little bit of range. Works for me.

Sponsored

EVSport7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Kia Sorento Hybrid
- Second Federal tax dollars will not be available to closed networks. So TSLA is angling to get a slice of that and still find a way to make it impractical for others to use their network..

That said I will reserve my judgement to see if this time things are different.
This is the only angle I can see for the US. Gotta try to weasel in on that infrastructure money.

Kickaha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
This is a lot of noise that doesnt mean anything. I have a 2016 Tesla model X (until my Lightning gets here!) and every few years this openness about allowing other vehicles on Teslas Supercharger network comes up - and it eventually blows over.

Elon is "open" to a lot of things - he is a classic idea-man. And alot of his ideas are fantastic. But, as they say, the devil is in the details. Supercharger is one of Tesla's biggest assets and selling points - they are not going to just give it away. Business agreements have to be made and I would be willing to bet those have not even started *IF* there is even any interest by Ford, Rivian or others.

Ford was very smart in its Ford Pass strategy - get agreements in place to leverage 3rd party networks already in place and let those 3rd party networks bear the cost of building the infrastructure - just pay a licensing or access fee. Ford doesnt "need" Tesla's network. Ford already has multiple agreements in place for Ford Pass. Tesla would be a really great addition, but its not make or break for Ford.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
- The CCS network has started to rival TSLA and has access to much better locations than TSLA can ever get. Read gas stations.
Huh? Many Tesla Superchargers are already at gas stations. Wawa is a common location for Superchargers in FL, for instance. They also have some at Sheetz gas stations. Maybe you meant to say a particular brand station, like Shell or something, but this comment is misleading.

Further, gas stations aren't even the best locations, IMO. I'd rather be in a parking lot with several restaurant options or a grocery store or something.

This comment sounds more like making stuff up to try and make potential good news for everyone into a bad thing. There are certainly things to complain about regarding Tesla, but them not being able to get good charging locations or gas station locations isn't one of them.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Musk knows allowing others to use his SC network will be a money maker. They will charge a different rate for non-Teslas. Which I am willing to pay for fast consistent charging.
Agreed. Road trip electricity is a small part of total electric usage. I don't mind paying more (than a Tesla) if I need to to use Tesla's chargers. It could be a perk for Tesla owners, just like some free charging is a perk for Mach E and ID.4. Most importantly, more locations could be a big benefit for people who are towing and only can make it ~100-150 miles between charges, too.

Theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Etron,Chevy Volt,BMW I3,Mach-E,F150 Lightning
This comment sounds more like making stuff up to try and make potential good news for everyone into a bad thing. There are certainly things to complain about regarding Tesla, but them not being able to get good charging locations or gas station locations isn't one of them.
Heh! Rite by the dumpster and next to the Arbys drive thru...:ROFLMAO: ..Just making stuff up he says... ..the difference is I know some of the blow smoke history of the technoguy... ..stole abunch of ideas claimed he invented it all... ...now trying to sell piece of shitte as golden melon.

Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla opening Superchargers to other automakers this year. 1626982617986
Sponsored