Sponsored

Sync 4, Wireless Carplay and Rear Seat Occupant Message

Sledderj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat Powerboost
My 21 Lariat Powerboost has had ongoing glitchy issues. I've been expecting them to go away with updates, but they are getting worse if anything. The two big ones are:

The rear seat occupant alert message keeps on popping up almost every time you get in the truck. The message notification is disabled in the settings menu, but it still pops up. The thing that has gotten worse is now at times, when I hit the button to select airflow (defrost, dash or floor) the pop up window doesn't come up and I can't change it from whatever it's set to. I think it's related to the rear seat occupant alert window glitch because when it's doing this, if I hit the blower speed switch, the rear seat occupant alert pop up briefly flashes up and then goes away. It's annoying and somewhat of a safety hazard in the winter time if you are not able to divert airflow to the windshield to keep it clear. Shutting the truck on and off usually clears it.

The other annoying glitch is Sync 4 wireless carplay connection is not reliable. On my commute home, there is a stretch of road that the connection between my iPhone and Sync 4 ALWAYS drops. I lose calls or whatever media stream I have going. It usually reconnects after getting past that stretch of road. If I connect via bluetooth it never disconnects. If I hardwire connect and use airplay, it works fine as well. This has been the case with two different iPhones, so it pretty much narrows it down to the wifi connection between the iPhone and Sync 4.

Searching the forum brought up a few similar stories, but I didn't see anything that talked about resolutions. Curious if anyone has had any luck with fixes other than hoping the next update will make it better.
Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
There's a max defrost button to clear the windshield. It's quite handy as you push it for max defrost and it does what it's supposed to. Hitting it again should return your air controls back to what they were.

While it won't fix your rear seat occupant issue, it will at least help you to get the windshield clear. Inspect the wires going to your rear seats to see if anything is out of place -- wouldn't hurt to unplug them and plug them back in. Inspect them looking for any corrosion on the pins.

BarryT82

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
USAF
Mine was having the same issue with the pop up until the APIM was updated a few weeks ago.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
My 21 Lariat Powerboost has had ongoing glitchy issues. I've been expecting them to go away with updates, but they are getting worse if anything. The two big ones are:

The rear seat occupant alert message keeps on popping up almost every time you get in the truck. The message notification is disabled in the settings menu, but it still pops up. The thing that has gotten worse is now at times, when I hit the button to select airflow (defrost, dash or floor) the pop up window doesn't come up and I can't change it from whatever it's set to. I think it's related to the rear seat occupant alert window glitch because when it's doing this, if I hit the blower speed switch, the rear seat occupant alert pop up briefly flashes up and then goes away. It's annoying and somewhat of a safety hazard in the winter time if you are not able to divert airflow to the windshield to keep it clear. Shutting the truck on and off usually clears it.

The other annoying glitch is Sync 4 wireless carplay connection is not reliable. On my commute home, there is a stretch of road that the connection between my iPhone and Sync 4 ALWAYS drops. I lose calls or whatever media stream I have going. It usually reconnects after getting past that stretch of road. If I connect via bluetooth it never disconnects. If I hardwire connect and use airplay, it works fine as well. This has been the case with two different iPhones, so it pretty much narrows it down to the wifi connection between the iPhone and Sync 4.

Searching the forum brought up a few similar stories, but I didn't see anything that talked about resolutions. Curious if anyone has had any luck with fixes other than hoping the next update will make it better.
Hi there, I'd be happy to look into your F-150 concerns on my end. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into things on my end.