First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch FX 4
Occupation
Retired Fed LEO, Current Federal Contractor
Hello, I had this same issue with my F150 Sync 4 and a Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra.
The issue seemed to be with the Android lock screen permissions. I solved the issue by:
Go to Smart Lock on your Samsung phone and add your Sync 4 car connection to Trusted Devices. That warning message has not come back since.
Thanks for this. Made the addition tonight on S21. Will report back in a week or so.

Update: Sept 17: It did not work. Still getting random "wireless connection unstable" messages seemingly at the most inopportune moments. Starting to piss me off.
Sponsored

Last edited:

morn2112

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
The lockscreen fix did not work with my S21 Ultra, so I tried this solution and it worked!

Delete all vehicles in the Android Auto app, turn off location, then go into the app settings and press Version 7-10 times. Next, press the three dots in developer settings, then check Add Wireless Projection to set it up. Turn location back on, then connect to the F150 again.

I found this solution here:
https://fordauthority.com/2021/01/s...ners-are-having-wireless-android-auto-issues/

SilRich

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
The lockscreen fix did not work with my S21 Ultra, so I tried this solution and it worked!

Delete all vehicles in the Android Auto app, turn off location, then go into the app settings and press Version 7-10 times. Next, press the three dots in developer settings, then check Add Wireless Projection to set it up. Turn location back on, then connect to the F150 again.

I found this solution here:
https://fordauthority.com/2021/01/s...ners-are-having-wireless-android-auto-issues/
Hi, my problem wasn't that Android auto didn't work. My Android phone connected and worked fine. My issue was that the connection error message would come up every 5 seconds stating that the connection was unstable.

morn2112

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Hi, my problem wasn't that Android auto didn't work. My Android phone connected and worked fine. My issue was that the connection error message would come up every 5 seconds stating that the connection was unstable.
Same problem for me. And after less than a day the problem returned. Hopefully Ford and Google solve this soon. I didn't spend $60k for a damn computer that doesn't work!

MYF150FX4

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 3.5 Ecoboost Lariat Supercrew FX4
It is not isolated to the S21. Many people have reported this issue with other Samsung phones. I have an S10+ and am having the issues. But it is interesting to hear from someone who has had good success with the system using an iphone. My dealer is clueless on this issue and replaced some part and now my phone will not stay paired with the truck. Going back in tomorrow and if they can just get it back to the way it was I can at least use sync 4 on the limited occasions that my phone stays connected.
The iPhone (Apple, in general) seems to have a better stability track record with connected products (I've had several Apple and Droid products over the years). Related to this issue; I tried many other fixes as stated in this thread and from elsewhere - no luck. Same issue. I simply went back to my iPhone and again, not a single issue - back to normal. Hope your dealer can fix your issue - good luck.

Sponsored

Eased

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT Sport 2.7L EcoBoost
For the first month after owning my truck, I used Android Auto wirelessly with a Galaxy S10+ and never once had the "Your wireless connection is unable message"

Switched to S21 Ultra a couple weeks ago and started getting the error message. It only shows up when I am on a screen other than Android Auto. For example if I am On the radio screen, the error message will repeatedly show every 10 seconds or so. I usually pull up Google Maps and continue listening to the radio, which is the best way I've found to deal with it for now.

Phones were locked and in my pocket, both for the S10 and S21.

spud_41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 502a, Lead Foot 3.5L EB Fx4
For the first month after owning my truck, I used Android Auto wirelessly with a Galaxy S10+ and never once had the "Your wireless connection is unable message"

Switched to S21 Ultra a couple weeks ago and started getting the error message. It only shows up when I am on a screen other than Android Auto. For example if I am On the radio screen, the error message will repeatedly show every 10 seconds or so. I usually pull up Google Maps and continue listening to the radio, which is the best way I've found to deal with it for now.

Phones were locked and in my pocket, both for the S10 and S21.
Did you get a Sync 4 update recently? I rarely had a problem with wireless Android Auto until I got an update and now it's disconnecting like crazy.

Eased

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT Sport 2.7L EcoBoost
Did you get a Sync 4 update recently? I rarely had a problem with wireless Android Auto until I got an update and now it's disconnecting like crazy.
I did have a OTA update a couple of weeks ago, but I'm fairly confident the issue started with my switch to the S21 and not a Sync update. It really seems more on the phone software side of things to me, rather than the truck itself. But that is just a guess.

I installed the August update on my S21 yesterday and did not see the error today. That said, the issue has been kind of intermittent. I'll report back if it is gone for good.

Ldkburra

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
I was promised that this last over the air update would fix the issue, but once again it was an empty promise. Pretty sad when every Bluetooth device I own, including a $15 portable speaker can work flawlessly with my Samsung phone, yet a $60,000+ vehicle can't. It is so frustrating.

CaelebCandon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew
I was promised that this last over the air update would fix the issue, but once again it was an empty promise. Pretty sad when every Bluetooth device I own, including a $15 portable speaker can work flawlessly with my Samsung phone, yet a $60,000+ vehicle can't. It is so frustrating.
I also was promised several fixes to software related issues with OTA updates. So far after 2 updates nothing is fixed. This is to be expected though. All the best software engineers work for Google and Apple, Ford and other car companies get the dregs that are left over.

Sponsored

Perplexer

First Name
Kobus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350 platinum 2022
I just got my truck yesterday with the same problem. I have a Samsung Galaxy s 21 ultra. I kept getting the message too. I believe I have fixed it now. In the power settings of the phone, you have to add android auto to the list of apps that never sleep. Otherwise your phone is trying to save power and kill android auto. Since I have changed the setting on my phone I have had no problems.

Thekameleon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
I just got my truck yesterday with the same problem. I have a Samsung Galaxy s 21 ultra. I kept getting the message too. I believe I have fixed it now. In the power settings of the phone, you have to add android auto to the list of apps that never sleep. Otherwise your phone is trying to save power and kill android auto. Since I have changed the setting on my phone I have had no problems.
That makes sense. I just added this setting. I will give it a whirl and see what happens. I'll let everyone know my findings.

Bravo36

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch FX 4
Occupation
Retired Fed LEO, Current Federal Contractor
Had to really dig for that setting but I found it and added AA. Let's hope for the best. Thanks for the info.

Perplexer

First Name
Kobus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350 platinum 2022
After further testing the problem persists. As long as my phone screen is on everything works fine. But if I switch the screen off the problem comes back.

Ldkburra

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Thank you for the update. I had high hopes for a successful fix. I am beyond annoyed with this malfunction that is apparently being ignored by ford.
Sponsored