Sponsored

Smoked side windows. Not tinted with a film?

ToTheDuals

First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Account Manager
Wondering if anyone makes a side window that is factory smoked “tinted” that is not done with a film.
Where I live it’s illegal to have tinted side windows because they don’t shatter into small pieces.
So if I have factory smoked glass like the rear windows it would then be legal.
Anyone know of any options?
Thanks!
Sponsored

pkinneb

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 & 2018 MX5's, 2021 F150 PB Platinum
A tinted window will still shatter into small pieces although the tint film may hold the shattered pieces somewhat together seems odd that it would make it illegal

OP
OP
ToTheDuals

ToTheDuals

First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Account Manager
A tinted window will still shatter into small pieces although the tint film may hold the shattered pieces somewhat together seems odd that it would make it illegal
it’s because it comes out as 1 piece that can fly through the air is their reasoning.

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
But the front window is laminated glass.... so...

We here in 'Merica have tint laws and they are different from state to state. Here in NC we can't go past 20%. When you go to get tint installed they'll ask "Do you want it legal?" Because here in 'Merica, we like to break the law.... J/K, but seriously they do ask that question and I see people that run illegal tint all the time. You'll get a ticket when you get pulled over and have to remove it before the court date anyways.

You can also get your front windshield tinted if you have a medical reason, my neighbor has his done.

Saskatchewan window tint laws overview:
Windshield: No tint allowed.
Front side windows: No tint allowed.
Back side windows: Any darkness can be used.
Rear window: Any darkness can be used.

In Saskatchewan you are not permitted to install any aftermarket window tint on the windshield nor on front side windows. There are no window tinting restrictions and any level of darkness can be used on back side windows and rear window.

Other Saskatchewan tint laws:
Reflective tint: Forbidden.
Side mirrors: Always required on non-vintage vehicles.
Medical exemptions: None.
Certificate requirements: None.
Tint sticker requirements: None.

OP
OP
ToTheDuals

ToTheDuals

First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Account Manager
Lol. I know what the laws are here. That’s why I need a factory smoked glass I can replace with my current ones.
Tint or film can’t be used.
A factory smoked glass or “privacy glass” can be used. Again like what the back and rear side door windows are. They are factory tinted or smoked or what ever you call it. No FILM.
I’m probably SOL, I have mine tinted with film now and got my first ticket. Doesn’t go against my license thankfully just a 115 dollar thanks and come again. Guess I’ll just keep paying the fines till I get fed up. Lol

Reactions: 780

Sponsored

pkinneb

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 & 2018 MX5's, 2021 F150 PB Platinum
Lol. I know what the laws are here. That’s why I need a factory smoked glass I can replace with my current ones.
A factory smoked glass or “privacy glass” can be used. Again like what the back and rear side door windows are. They are factory tinted or smoked or what ever you call it. No FILM.
I’m probably SOL, I have mine tinted with film now and got my first ticket. Doesn’t go against my license thankfully just a 115 dollar thanks and come again. Guess I’ll just keep paying the fines till I get fed up. Lol
Ouch! $115 bucks I can see why your looking for a solution LOL

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
C&A
I’ve seen some options for sprayable tint before. Not sure how effective it is.

Shyrax

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 F150 Limited
Occupation
IT Management
You can get them dipped. They remove the windows from the vehicle and dip them in a tinting solution. It can also be sprayed on. I’ve seen it on several vehicles theough the years. Looks good.

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
The information was more for others, since I don’t know a state that doesn’t allow tint.

Wow, $115 ticket….. That sucks.

Missmy3/4ton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
300a XLT 5.0 4x4
I think their point was,

1) dyed, sprayed, vinyl, etc. it doesn't matter, you cant use anything in the front... It's 100% VLT per the tint law.

2) that on the rear, any tint levels can be used; so they're not worried about it "coming out as 1-piece" or vinyl tint would be illegal there too.

Sponsored

NESK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX4
Wondering if anyone makes a side window that is factory smoked “tinted” that is not done with a film.
Where I live it’s illegal to have tinted side windows because they don’t shatter into small pieces.
Thanks!
Were you able to figure anything out? I'm in the same boat in Sask as well, I know I've seen factory "tinted" front side windows before and have seen people post about them but I can't find any reliable answer. It seems like you need to "know a guy" lol

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
Ouch. Same laws here in Alberta. I'm at 30%. Can I ask if you were pulled over specifically just for the tint? I've had many police officers pass me or sitting beside me at red lights and haven't had an issue yet. *knocks on wood* This isn't my first vehicle with tint either.

Ford F-150 Smoked side windows. Not tinted with a film? IMG_3691.JPG

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
The information was more for others, since I don’t know a state that doesn’t allow tint.

Wow, $115 ticket….. That sucks.
In the late 80s I relocated to Northern California from Phoenix Az.
the windows in my car were tinted, and rather dark.
California at the time (don’t know if it still applies) did not allow tint on the front or the front door glass.

Got pulled over by CHP after he witnessed me a bit aggressive with a slowpoke in the left lane.
Took him a while to get up to me—5miles or so—and by then I had calmed down and was being civil.
He cruised up beside me and then dropped back to “light me up”.

He used the tinted glass as an excuse to pull me over for a chat about what he thought he saw. I assured him that he saw exactly that.
Enough to lose a license over or go to jail.
He gave me a ticket for the windows and nothing else.

He also said honesty and attitude got me off and that his little group of troopers only use the tinted window thing when they wish to “have a word” or a closer look.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Thanks!
If I remember correctly the glass for the doors on the F150 is laminated not tempered. So even without tint it wont shatter. Unless Ford reverted back to tempered for the doors.

astrand1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford F150 Powerboost 7.2kw
Occupation
Studio truck driver
Thanks!
What state are you in? I’m curious as I’ve never heard a law like that. Usually they just specify no tint period like in California on the front 2 windows.
Sponsored