Tinting windows?

Donnelly713

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
I'm a tint newbie, wondering what others have done as far as tinting windows to reduce heat and improve appearance with a nice match. NC is 32%. seems the 302a has some factory tint on rear and back windows... any suggestions on what to do?
Sponsored

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
In FL, I'm planning to have all the windows tinted or film protected, including the windshield and back window (no-slider) due to the heat and sun here. I'll match the fronts to the backs and probably not go much darker on the windshield, but still want all windows covered.

Last edited:

spectre446

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
It's personal preference. Some people tint the back over the factory tint and then match to the front. Some do a light tint on windshield even if illegal. Protects your dash from UV rays. I've done 25% front and back on previous cars.

jamill

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat & 2020 GMC Acadia SLT
Occupation
Pipeline Operator
I just did my windows last week. Went with 5% on the back 2 doors and rear glass/sliding glass, 25% on the front two door windows (which is the darkest New Mexico allows), and a "brow" on the front window. Don't really have a picture though, but it works great for heat, and especially for my two small children in the back seat when they take their naps on road trips. Lol.

Agashi25

First Name
Arban
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang GT PP CO
70% double ceramic on windshield
20% ceramic on front doors
Left rear doors and window stock.

Sponsored

Tyler17

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat
I just did 20% on the front side windows to match the rears and 40% on the whole windshield with a 5% strip across the top over that. I love it.

GolfR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KR PB
20% on the front windows matches the rear almost exactly. I also did 20% on the sunroof to block more heat and light so I can leave the shade open all the time. I’m very happy with my choices but I would pass on the ceramic if I were to do it again. I think it causes a little more glare on the side windows compared to the non ceramic that I have on our other cars.

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew, FX4, Lariat
20% front doors, 50% windshield. I will not drive a car without tint unless it’s an emergency, lol.

spud_41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 502a, Lead Foot 3.5L EB Fx4
I went with fronts to match (Which I believe is 20%) and 15% eyebrow. My other vehicles have all been 15% and I kind of want to get it all redone at 15% and get my windshield ceramic tinted just for the heat.

sonofzell

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 XLT Sport 2.7EB SCrew 302A High
I also went with a 20% on the front, which (to my eye) is a perfect match to the OEM shade on the rear windows. I used film tint installed by a local freelancer that I've used a bunch of times in the past; $100 and <30min and never any issues post-install.

I'm in the northeast, but I spend a good amount of time in FL where the tint is an absolute must if you don't want the cab to become a large oven. I have / had this same shade on a bunch of vehicles over the years without any issues or questioning by law enforcement.

The only "downside" I can describe is that I do get an interior reflection at night time if driving in a rural area that has little or no ambient light (street lights, store fronts, other vehicles, etc). It can be a slight distraction if you're trying to focus on something specific (like house numbers on a dark street); you just need to focus through the reflection of your dash cluster or drop the glass for a few seconds.

Ford F-150 Tinting windows? 2021-03-27-First Bath - 1 of 1

Sponsored

mshipway

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
09 F150, '17 F150 '19 F150 ;21 F150
Occupation
Engineer
Im going to get my front door windows matched to the back doors, he asked if I want standard or cermaic tint... no idea what the difference is but its $35 difference.

Str8Shooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT 302A FX4 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired Systems Integrator
Went with a 20% SunTec ceramic tint last week on the front doors to match the back to help cut down on the heat in the Summer. Here's how that came out; I really like it.
Ford F-150 Tinting windows? Truck tint side

The window tint folks suggested 50% for the windshield. So, after thinking about what I wanted to do for the windshield I went back a few days later and had that done. I decided to go with 60% SunTec ceramic on the windshield so that it would help balance out the look, but not interfere with my night driving.

Since the truck will sit out in the weather all year long I may decide to add ceramic tint films to the rear windows too but keep the tint look the same (as clear as possible); I'll wait until next Summer and see how the temperature feels in there.

Besides comfort, I think that the xtra cost of the ceramic tint will be off set in short time by buying less gas. After all, this is a powerboost and when the climate controls work harder, the more likely the gas engine will need to be running.

Some more food for thought for those on the fence deciding if it is worth twice the money for ceramic tint over metallic tint. Do you use your cell phone often in the car making calls? Metallic tint messes with you signal. Ceramic tint does not have electronic signal interference.

Ford F-150 Tinting windows? Truck tint front

Djlee1592

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Occupation
industrial mechanic
20% is usually a match to the rears. That's what I went with, also added the strip on the windshield. I think it's a good comprise. It's not totally blacked out but so not impossible to see out of at night
Ford F-150 Tinting windows? 4E151F02-9C24-4C1E-BBF0-D808903A64A2

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
Ford F-150 Tinting windows? 5E7D26AF-2165-40BE-ACC9-022A9C2BDE57

5% all around so no one can see me. I didn’t touch the windshield because I do a lot of nighttime driving and didn’t want to risk messing up my visibility. Cops pull up beside me all the time and no problems yet. But if you had an all black truck I think it might risk the police issues. My white two tone with all the chrome has a bit of a grandpa vibe
Sponsored