Sponsored

Rear Tailgate Camera Quality

TJSparky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT (302A) 5.0L RockyRidge K2
Is the picture quality of the rear tailgate camera just naturally bad with 12” Sync screen?
I don’t know if it’s normal but seems real blurry and fuzzy. Tried to make sure the lens was clean too.

Might need to have the dealer check it out but wanted to hear from others.
Sponsored

Tosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Re-Tired Bicycle Mechanic
Mine is crystal clear. The extra-wide angle lens produces some optical distortion, but it's much better than my Ring Pro doorbell. I use the same lens cleaner that I use on my glasses.

PB2021

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Ours is clear. I always clean with a little washer fluid on a cloth so I don't scratch it.

OP
OP
TJSparky

TJSparky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mine is a job 1 truck made in Feb. 2021
Are your trucks newer builds?

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
There WILL BE aftermarket upgrades. Just give it time.

ALL the cameras on the F150 are dissapointing by 2022 standards.

Sponsored

kb2755

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT 302A Sport
I’ve been really impressed with mine, but I’m coming from a pretty crappy Subaru camera. I find it super clear on the 12” screen.

wayne b

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat PB
tailgate / hitch cam seems to get dirty and blurry easily / quickly. Car wash doesn't fix it, find it helps to do windex paper towel. The bed cam on the other hand always seems lower quality, 1987 VHS vibe, almost as if because it's aimed at an all black surface it's distorting?

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
The worst one for me is the bed camera, very grainy. They are all still useable though.

gtotco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A FX4 3.5L
Mine is a job 1 truck made in Feb. 2021
Are your trucks newer builds?
Mine is a Job 1 from Dec 2020 and it has always been clear. My issue with it is really slow frame rate. Not noticeable parking but we have a long driveway that I back down (a few hundred feet) and it has noticeable frame rate drag once you get above 5mph or so. I always assumed this is part of why they haven’t turned on the cameras while driving in job 1 trucks, it’s kind of stomach churning.

Kino

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 GC-Trailhawk V8, '21 Bronco Sport
Occupation
Beatnik
2.1.21 blend date. It is nice and clear.

Edit: Lariat.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JHForman812

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F350
I have no proof of this but I feel like the lower model trucks got poor cameras vs the higher end trucks. as for the CMHSL camera(bed camera) I think its still analog and ford didnt update it. The pictures ive seen from cameras in platinums the quality was amazing! my super duty got sync 4 with analog cameras, you wanna talk about garbage picture quality get in one of those !

Ritchie457

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Is the picture quality of the rear tailgate camera just naturally bad with 12” Sync screen?
I don’t know if it’s normal but seems real blurry and fuzzy. Tried to make sure the lens was clean too.

Might need to have the dealer check it out but wanted to hear from others.
Mine is super clear. It needs to be because I back the truck into the driveway about a foot away from the garage door!

OP
OP
TJSparky

TJSparky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I do want to clarify that I can see fine but just doesn’t seem like a real crisp/clean image. Especially moving from the center out it starts to be not as sharp. My truck is a XLT, so I am not sure if the higher trim model trucks have better cameras.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Mine is a Job 1 from Dec 2020 and it has always been clear. My issue with it is really slow frame rate. Not noticeable parking but we have a long driveway that I back down (a few hundred feet) and it has noticeable frame rate drag once you get above 5mph or so. I always assumed this is part of why they haven’t turned on the cameras while driving in job 1 trucks, it’s kind of stomach churning.
Have you updated you ipma? The early builds did have an issue with picture quality that was addressed in an update.

to The other question. The cameras from xlt and above are the same. They are digital all the way to the apim.
Xl uses the same cameras as the other trims except the ipma takes the digital image and converts it to ntsc and sends it to the apim through a twisted pair rather than a coax.

you can upgrade the xl trim to digital all the way if you did a 12” upgrade because the 8” apim doesn’t have digital in unless you have 360 cams and the 8” then it is digital all the way. If you don’t want to do the 12” upgrade and you want digital then you can get the 8” digital input apim it has a brown connector below the gps antenna port.
Sponsored

Last edited: