Sponsored

PowerBoosts - Poll --> How far can you get on just electric?

From stopped, how far can you go with just electric power?

• Total voters

SuperRaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Lariat 502A
I just finished a 900 mile trip, the truck has 6,500 miles on it.
Tire pressure 36-37psi
Flat - rolling hills coastal Florida scenic highways.
Using cruise when speed limits were 55-70mph and was set at 56-71mph (mostly 68 when it was 65 or 70 posted)
Temperatures 40-70 Degrees F.

Trip fuel economy was 18.7MPG <-- no error codes no warnings

First leg of the trip 450 miles traveled 9 miles were electric.
Second leg of the tirp 450 miles traveld 5 miles were electric.

There were a few spirited starts but no tires squealing, what am I doing wrong how do I ask for to inspect something just because it is not getting the stated MPG???
That's pretty bad, do you have anything in the bed causing drag? Were the winds really bad?
Sponsored

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
Can't get much more than a tenth right now in the below freezing temps.

OP
OP
toyko joe

toyko joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT PowerBoost FX4
That's pretty bad, do you have anything in the bed causing drag? Were the winds really bad?
Soft tonno cover over the bed. There were some wind gusts but no prevailing 20mph wind or anything.

I ran a delivery last night 24 mile round trip, 2 miles of the trip were city streets and the rest was open highway. That trip got me 20.2 mpg with 1.2 miles of electric and I set the cruise to 67mph. Outside temp was 64 Degrees F. I am wondering if I got a bad tank of gas along my trip, because I have done that delivery trip before and it would show up as 22.5 mpg when I set the cruise to 67.

All that being said the truck has 6,600 miles and so far the lifetime average of the fuel economy hasn't gone above 19.3mpg.

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
Soft tonno cover over the bed. There were some wind gusts but no prevailing 20mph wind or anything.

I ran a delivery last night 24 mile round trip, 2 miles of the trip were city streets and the rest was open highway. That trip got me 20.2 mpg with 1.2 miles of electric and I set the cruise to 67mph. Outside temp was 64 Degrees F. I am wondering if I got a bad tank of gas along my trip, because I have done that delivery trip before and it would show up as 22.5 mpg when I set the cruise to 67.

All that being said the truck has 6,600 miles and so far the lifetime average of the fuel economy hasn't gone above 19.3mpg.
I wonder what your braking habits are like - that matters a lot more on hybrids than gas engines. If the electric motor can’t recover a decent amount of charge braking, the efficiency goes way down. Do you have the brake coach going? And do you watch the EV coach?

OP
OP
toyko joe

toyko joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I wonder what your braking habits are like - that matters a lot more on hybrids than gas engines. If the electric motor can’t recover a decent amount of charge braking, the efficiency goes way down. Do you have the brake coach going? And do you watch the EV coach?
Brake coach is always above 70% mostly 95%+
I have my TIN FOIL hat on today, since taking the trip this past weekend I have driven the truck 3 times; each time I have gotten into the truck the dash display configuration has been re-set to factory configuration. "My View" sections went back to factory twice and this last trip the instrument cluster was back to factory gauges without my selection of boost on the right and transmission temp on the left. I don't know what's going on anymore because on the last trip it was switching from hybrid to electric all the time and the "this trip" summary showed I got 27.8mpg... I must be going crazy.

Sponsored

SuperRaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Lariat 502A
Brake coach is always above 70% mostly 95%+
I have my TIN FOIL hat on today, since taking the trip this past weekend I have driven the truck 3 times; each time I have gotten into the truck the dash display configuration has been re-set to factory configuration. "My View" sections went back to factory twice and this last trip the instrument cluster was back to factory gauges without my selection of boost on the right and transmission temp on the left. I don't know what's going on anymore because on the last trip it was switching from hybrid to electric all the time and the "this trip" summary showed I got 27.8mpg... I must be going crazy.
Something has to be going on, even a bad tank of gas wouldn’t cause this. If you got that many miles on the truck it’s broken in (at least 98%),

OP
OP
toyko joe

toyko joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Took the scenic route home today. Probably my best electric vs total miles ratio yet. Just barely under 50% but I’m gonna round up lol! For winter, I will take that

1E9A1FCA-4223-4DF6-92E9-C584417EE40E.jpeg
Nice choice in music and fuel economy!

I have never seen that high a MPG. Have you corrected your AFE (Actual Fuel Economy) in the engineering settings or is the 30.2mpg actually 28.2mpg if calculated by hand?

CaptainAmericaRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat FX4 PB
Occupation
Machine Designer - Ford Motor Co.
you can get better MPG by NOT using cruise control. it will always try to maintain your speed, whereas you can "soft pedal" and feather the gas as needed and drop an MPH or two. By varying your speed a bit, it uses less gas.

also, I've noticed that when starting off from a light or dead stop, the engine will kick in.
however, once your moving, if you back off the gas, and just tap the brake... the engine will shut off, and you'll be in Electric mode...you then can lightly press the accelerator pedal to maintain momentum and keep going in electric mode, for a few miles anyway.

just my experiences with mine so far. 4k on the odo.

OP
OP
toyko joe

toyko joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Something has to be going on, even a bad tank of gas wouldn’t cause this. If you got that many miles on the truck it’s broken in (at least 98%),
I will keep a eye on it. Two trips I took this past weekend were very short <4 miles and one yielded 21.4mpg "this trip" and the other 5.4mpg "this trip" nothing crazy just driving around the city running errands.

Sponsored

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
Nice choice in music and fuel economy!

I have never seen that high a MPG. Have you corrected your AFE (Actual Fuel Economy) in the engineering settings or is the 30.2mpg actually 28.2mpg if calculated by hand?
Lol! I always forget the music shows in these pictures. I haven’t adjusted mine, I find it’s within .5 of the manual calc usually and I’m fine with that error. So it probably was slightly under 30mpg in reality, but still pretty good lol.

I will keep a eye on it. Two trips I took this past weekend were very short <4 miles and one yielded 21.4mpg "this trip" and the other 5.4mpg "this trip" nothing crazy just driving around the city running errands.
5!!! I think analyzing that trip gets us the answer to your issue. I’ve never seen 5 even on my shortest trips in the cold. I’ll usually be at like 12-15 for my 3 mile round trips to grab food. Did you spend a ton of time idling? Were there any electric km on that trip? Also curious - not sure yet if this has a bearing, do you use auto climate control? And if not, do you just set it on “HI” and adjust the fan speed manually in winter?

OP
OP
toyko joe

toyko joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
5!!! I think analyzing that trip gets us the answer to your issue. I’ve never seen 5 even on my shortest trips in the cold. I’ll usually be at like 12-15 for my 3 mile round trips to grab food. Did you spend a ton of time idling? Were there any electric km on that trip? Also curious - not sure yet if this has a bearing, do you use auto climate control? And if not, do you just set it on “HI” and adjust the fan speed manually in winter?
Not much time idling except at the left turn wait lane. That trip had 0.0 on electric. I use auto temperature control and fan control. I also one single temperature control instead of dual so I don't have zones fighting each other.

There have still been no error codes, I need to see if I can get ForScan and connect up to monitor hybrid battery levels.

The build date on my truck IIRC is 2/21 bought in 7/21 with 800miles on the Odometer. Not sure how it was treated before I bought it.

OP
OP
toyko joe

toyko joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 PowerBoosts - Poll --> How far can you get on just electric? f150Dash

The trip I took last night.
49Degrees F
City driving
Very conservative driving w/ brake coach
Auto climate @ 72*

This seems to be the usual, under 20MPG every trip regardless of driving habits, speed or temperature. 37.5% electric and still under 20MPG on the trip. I don't know what to do.

SteveP150

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
@tokyojoe, I'd guess at least on that one, it's the length of the trip. It's been my experience that it needs more like 4 miles before it's really using the hybrid system after sitting for an extended period of time. Mine never gets good mpg on really short trips either, unless it's fully warmed up.

OP
OP
toyko joe

toyko joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@tokyojoe, I'd guess at least on that one, it's the length of the trip. It's been my experience that it needs more like 4 miles before it's really using the hybrid system after sitting for an extended period of time. Mine never gets good mpg on really short trips either, unless it's fully warmed up.
You might be correct, but this should be where the hybrid would be most effective at conserving fuel. Even when we have back to back to back errands to run, the truck doesn't get above 20MPG. Ford can easily say "conditions may vary" and ignore me so there is not much for me to do, it is just annoying that my 2018 2.7EB got the same city and better highway fuel economy. When on paper the PowerBoost should be the same or better fuel economy (which is how I justified the upgrade to the PowerBoost).
Sponsored