First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat FX4 PB
Occupation
Machine Designer - Ford Motor Co.
Getting a head start on Turkey day cooking, Turkey in the oven and sides are cooking. Then someone hit a transformer outside neighborhood so we lost power. I have a gas stove but it needs a little juice to run the electronics. After a few WTFs, I remembered I have a Powerboost. May just have to look in to a more permanent solution. Turkey is cooking again and beer in the fridge is still cold. Also I was able to crack the garage door enough to slide the power cords under it. FYI I have the 7.2kw pkg.

1000007860.jpg
nice work. glad it saved turkey day :cool: i seeyou have dual exhaust, is that new for 23' ? i have a 21' PB and its the standard single with the tip behind the right rear wheel.

OP
OP
Tripdaddy95

Tripdaddy95

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Avalanche Lariat SCrew PB BAP
nice work. glad it saved turkey day :cool: i seeyou have dual exhaust, is that new for 23' ? i have a 21' PB and its the standard single with the tip behind the right rear wheel.
Yes it is a '23. It is stock from the factory but it is not true dual exhaust. The exhaust splits just before the rear axle.

CaptainAmericaRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat FX4 PB
Occupation
Machine Designer - Ford Motor Co.
Yes it is a '23. It is stock from the factory but it is not true dual exhaust. The exhaust splits just before the rear axle.
oh ok, but still, i noticed the dual tips, exiting from underneath the bumber and not under the rear qtr panel behind the RR tire.
i could see a likely situation, using the tailgate work surface with power tools, and having the exhuast rolling up from under the tailgate, right up into your face as you work... :rolleyes:o_O🥴☠

23PB&Me

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 PB Lariat
I haven’t been able to use the generator feature yet, how much gas did you use?

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I think you will be shocked at how efficient the generator is, especially if you have been a gasoline generator user for any substantial time.

But try an experiment yourself:

Start your truck and put it in generator mode. Then once you see the engine coolant temps get up beyond 160F or so, note the time and monitor it for 1 hour.

How many minutes did the ICE run during that hour?
How much did the "Miles to empty" drop over that hour?

Admittedly the generator wasn't under load, other than the HVAC system in the truck and the 12V load for any lights and computer modules in play. But then imagine just starting your traditional gasoline generator and letting it run for an hour. :)

Yea, it's not even really fair. Lol

Now if you want to go another hour, plug a few things into the trucks bed panel and put a load of some kind on it. Check on Sync4 and you will see exactly what kind of load you have.
Time everything again. How many minutes did ICE run during the hour? How much did Miles to empty drop?

I think you will find that until you get up to about 3600 watts, or say 50% of the maximum output, the Propower generator has a huge advantage in its design. But it does lose that advantage and becomes a generator with a huge fuel tank (30 gallons) once the sustained load reaches the threshold where Ford decided to just leave the trucks ICE running full time.

OP
OP
Tripdaddy95

Tripdaddy95

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Avalanche Lariat SCrew PB BAP
Sorry I did not pay attention. However, the load was very light, only gas stove electronics and 2 refridgeraters, for about 2 hours so any numbers would be scewed.

23PB&Me

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 PB Lariat
I think you will be shocked at how efficient the generator is, especially if you have been a gasoline generator user for any substantial time.

But try an experiment yourself:

Start your truck and put it in generator mode. Then once you see the engine coolant temps get up beyond 160F or so, note the time and monitor it for 1 hour.

How many minutes did the ICE run during that hour?
How much did the "Miles to empty" drop over that hour?

Admittedly the generator wasn't under load, other than the HVAC system in the truck and the 12V load for any lights and computer modules in play. But then imagine just starting your traditional gasoline generator and letting it run for an hour. :)

Yea, it's not even really fair. Lol

Now if you want to go another hour, plug a few things into the trucks bed panel and put a load of some kind on it. Check on Sync4 and you will see exactly what kind of load you have.
Time everything again. How many minutes did ICE run during the hour? How much did Miles to empty drop?

I think you will find that until you get up to about 3600 watts, or say 50% of the maximum output, the Propower generator has a huge advantage in its design. But it does lose that advantage and becomes a generator with a huge fuel tank (30 gallons) once the sustained load reaches the threshold where Ford decided to just leave the trucks ICE running full time.
I might try that some day. Those electronics being on will be the baseline condition, so if I try it will be good to have that information about how much the system uses to just be in play. Even with the engine being so large compared to a small gas generator I bet it is still more efficient given the same output in an always on state. Plus waaaaaay quieter.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I might try that some day. Those electronics being on will be the baseline condition, so if I try it will be good to have that information about how much the system uses to just be in play. Even with the engine being so large compared to a small gas generator I bet it is still more efficient given the same output in an always on state. Plus waaaaaay quieter.
I think you will find that if you start your truck, enable generator mode, and do not put any load on the generator, you will experience the ICE coming on either 3 times or 4 times per hour.
If you have Eco-Idle enabled, it will idle at about 1300 rpms and the charging event will last less time.

In the Texas summer with HVAC keeping the truck cool and the music playing, I would average about 5-6 minutes total of ICE on per hour.

Best office on wheels ever!

Borchelt

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT, Powerboost Hybrid
Occupation
Retired
Had an outage yesterday and successfully powered the entire house except for ovens and outdoor spa with PB pro-Power 7.2

On the subject of transfer panels and the F-150 7.2 power. A standard transfer panel will throw a ground fault as the gen in the truck is neutrally bonded. This means that you need to switch the neutral and the hot leg. This is also why an interlock won't work. Resist the impulse to cut off the ground prong on the cabling. While it may work, it's not safe and if you plan to use a stand-alone gen, you'll be left with no path to ground other than yourself. Reliance makes a good panel for this and if you change out the standard breakers with a double in the same space you get about 18 useful circuits. Doesn't give you more power just more choice on what you want powered at the same time.

I've attached a Word doc showing some pictures and internals from a post I found. I used it to plan my installation.

I've also attached my install pic. Note the receptacle for Gen input is actually in the garage out of the weather. I just run the 40 ft. 30 amp cable under the garage door to the truck in the driveway.

Ford F-150 Powerboost Pro Power Onboard saves Thanksgiving. 20230321_113915

Attachments

Sponsored

TheGoatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 powerboost
Is there a 200 amp service entrance transfer switch available that would work for this application?

labjr1

First Name
Louie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 PB Platinum
Occupation
IT
Another reason to be thankful ... that you had the foresight to get the 7.2Kw PB! Congrats on saving Thanksgiving.
If you havent thought about it already, consider a manual transfer switch. Some planning with an electrician and lots of good info on here to help.
I put in a Generac transfer switch and if power goes out, I can be connected to the truck and running on backup power in about 4-5 minutes.
Add me to the list of Powerboost Pro Power Fans. Here in TN we had tornados come through yesterday. A lot of damage to homes in the neighborhood but we were lucky and only had tree damage. The tornado his a sub-station and power has now been out for 28 hours and may be out another 2 days. My Powerboost Pro Power (7200 watt) came to the rescue. While many neighbors are stuggling to find hotels to stay in, we are at home with working Internet, TV, Coffee Maker, refrigerator and freezer working, lights,.... We have a fireplace and gas stove and water heater so the house is warm and life continues without much inconvenience thanks to the PB Pro Power. I still plan to install a new whole house generator at some point, but the PB has been awesome. The truck starts 3 times an hour and runs for 2-3 minutes each time barely using any fuel. Awesome tool!. My wife is now an even bigger fan of my truck.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Good to hear you folks are safe. And being comfortable, thanks to the mighty Powerboost, is a bonus. :)
Sponsored