First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
Not sure, they did drop the eaton and went back to an open diff.
Thank you. Integrated Wheel End. They lock the front hubs without having to get out the truck apparently.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
Off topic forgive, but with my transfer case the front and rear driveshafts rotate at the same speed. During a hard right turn the difference in rotational speed between the front left wheel and the rear right wheel is just too great for the open differentials to compensate for and wheel hop occurs?

tuqqer

First Name
tuqqer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 4x4 Supercrew
Occupation
CEO
Weather dependent. It'll be aight in no time.
Ha. All these years and never knew that we get less mpg in colder weather. Made me look it up:

"Colder air is denser, increasing aerodynamic drag on your vehicle, especially at highway speeds. Tire pressure decreases in colder temperatures, increasing rolling resistance. Winter grades of gasoline can have slightly less energy per gallon than summer blends."

Ziggy73

First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Radiologic Technologist
Picked up my new-to-me '22PB KR in Cleveland yesterday. I'd rented a V-8 4x4 crew cab Ram 1500 from Budget as a one-way rental to get there. For a rental truck I ended up being really impressed. Part of that was the 20MPG average at 77-78mph for the <500 mile trip.

The PowerBoost? 16.7 mpg. Our almost identically built '18 Ecoboost can pretty reliably deliver 18mpg at those speeds. And I mean all but identical. Same bed, both max tow, both 3.5 turbo SCREW's, even same tow mirrors. Heck, same power folding side-boards. Of course the '18 will be 500lbs or so lighter. I suppose I expected too much, but I had hoped powerboost would have added 1-2 MPG on the highway. Fuelly sort of supported that hope, so did reading around the web. Yet the only way this was gonna get 20MPG was off a cliff.

Yes, in 2 wheel high, yes in eco mode. I'd blame the cold weather, or winter fuel, but the Ram 1500 just delivered 20mpg over the same trip. I wasn't towing, and I didn't see it running on boost. Wind not significant, and it did as poorly headed south as it did headed west. No error codes, 41psi in the tires, 27k miles on the truck, so it's broken in. Hybrid mode as least superficially works, for I can drive gently around a parking lot for a couple hundred feet, and watching power delivery mode today I see it occasionally hitting "hybrid mode".

Doing worse than the '18 is a bit of a surprise, doing worse AND having hybrid support to keep it off the turbo on hills and etc was REALLY a surprise. Sure slowing down helps, but the point is the PB just crapped the bed relative to it's peers.

Thoughts? Phone number to a suicide prevention hotline?

Thanks in advance,
-d

Sponsored

Ziggy73

First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Radiologic Technologist
Picked up my new-to-me '22PB KR in Cleveland yesterday. I'd rented a V-8 4x4 crew cab Ram 1500 from Budget as a one-way rental to get there. For a rental truck I ended up being really impressed. Part of that was the 20MPG average at 77-78mph for the <500 mile trip.

The PowerBoost? 16.7 mpg. Our almost identically built '18 Ecoboost can pretty reliably deliver 18mpg at those speeds. And I mean all but identical. Same bed, both max tow, both 3.5 turbo SCREW's, even same tow mirrors. Heck, same power folding side-boards. Of course the '18 will be 500lbs or so lighter. I suppose I expected too much, but I had hoped powerboost would have added 1-2 MPG on the highway. Fuelly sort of supported that hope, so did reading around the web. Yet the only way this was gonna get 20MPG was off a cliff.

Yes, in 2 wheel high, yes in eco mode. I'd blame the cold weather, or winter fuel, but the Ram 1500 just delivered 20mpg over the same trip. I wasn't towing, and I didn't see it running on boost. Wind not significant, and it did as poorly headed south as it did headed west. No error codes, 41psi in the tires, 27k miles on the truck, so it's broken in. Hybrid mode as least superficially works, for I can drive gently around a parking lot for a couple hundred feet, and watching power delivery mode today I see it occasionally hitting "hybrid mode".

Doing worse than the '18 is a bit of a surprise, doing worse AND having hybrid support to keep it off the turbo on hills and etc was REALLY a surprise. Sure slowing down helps, but the point is the PB just crapped the bed relative to it's peers.

Thoughts? Phone number to a suicide prevention hotline?

Thanks in advance,
-d
Cold definitely hurts the mpg. However I wouldn't even bother looking too much into the mpg until you get way more miles on it. Mine got better around 9500 miles. That being said a V8 at 78mph will probably do better. City and around town suburb type 60mph kinda the PB will be much better. Still you can't drive like a Indy driver and expect 23 in the city. A Prius doing quarter mile runs isn't getting 50mpg either. You have to have sensibility. I get 22-25 in city, 22-27hwy. Always condition depending.

ChrisPAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Honda Fit LX
You just described the performance of my '22 Powerboost Lariat. It does about 1mpg better than my 2019 3.5 EB in warm weather. In 35,000+ miles of driving I have made 24MPG on exactly one trip; otherwise it runs about 20mpg summer and 18.5 mpg winter. The Powerboost economy seems to vary greatly vehicle to vehicle, where some folks are getting better than advertised but a lot are getting what you and I are experiencing. Sorry, wish I had better news for you.

By the way...(800)273-TALK
That’s very odd indeed. I have close to 12k miles and average 23.4. I do a lot of highway driving. I did notice a slight decrease in MPG during the winter but my average before my first oil change (7.5k miles) was 23.5 MPG. I’ve had nothing but great experiences with the PB, getting better mileage than any other truck this capable and it’s a very well designed machine..

Boyk1182

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost
I was going to try to find a post like this. I just drove 20+ miles to get some food, decided to put it in sport mode and drive like I want to, got about 13 MPG on the trip. It was highway and in town mixed. I like the truck but I don’t think I could ever get what it claims without pissing everyone around me off, and still don’t think I could get that mileage even if I did that.

RossRR

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 502A Rapid Red SCrew PB FX4 MaxTow
Over the past year, I've averaged 19.15 MPG; the last 5 months have been a bit below that average. Here is my last 5000+ miles of fuel economy (pretty much all in "Normal" mode):
Ford F-150 PowerBoost MPG  - WTH?? F150 Fuel Mileage

Last edited:

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
Ha. All these years and never knew that we get less mpg in colder weather. Made me look it up:

"Colder air is denser, increasing aerodynamic drag on your vehicle, especially at highway speeds. Tire pressure decreases in colder temperatures, increasing rolling resistance. Winter grades of gasoline can have slightly less energy per gallon than summer blends."
Not to be excluded fun fact that twin turbo engines love inhaling cold dense air 🙂

Sponsored

doolin64

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Real estate
I'm sure it's already been said but the Powerboost is not a highway vehicle for getting good MPG. Not at 75+. It will drive it and it do it with plenty of power but you will never get the rated MPG. It needs to be driven like an old man 65-67 max. Even then it will only be just over 20. With mixed driving and a stock truck I have no problem getting 23-23.5 regularly. In the winter chop 1.5mpg off of that.

The Ram rental that the OP drove had to have been a Pentastar V6. Or a 2wd with 3.21s. Rams inhale fuel (I owed a 2013 hemi and a 2021 etorq hemi). 16-17mpg was the best I could muster.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I just did ~200 miles this morning at 80mph. And admittedly, the Powerboost is basically an Ecoboost at that pace. 20mpg for me too.

I got no complaint. I'm old and have had many trucks and vans that at 55mph couldn't dream of this fuel economy.

Oh, and none of them could......

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
I can do this at least 😔

Ford F-150 PowerBoost MPG  - WTH?? IMG_1445

OP
OP

dafish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 PB KR SCREW, '18 Lariat SCREW
Occupation
Mostly retired IT Pro - Cyber-IPT
I hate all of you! 😇

I was on a highway the other day: 62mph, 16 mpg.

i couldn’t get 20mpg at 80mph unless I had a 30mph tailwind. yet me dealer insists its fine.

suggestions?
Sponsored