Sponsored

Powerboost CEL P237C/Exhaust Heat Exchanger Leak Megathread

lordofping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 Plat Powerboost
I have received the parts, and I am eternally grateful.

Based on the feedback here, I decided to not inform the dealer that I got the parts. I got the truck back after saying I needed it, and told them I'd keep a close eye on coolant levels.

I did try to take some pictures of the event.

Thing 1
20230415_165158.jpg

Thing 2
20230415_165201.jpg

Here you can see the two T25 torx screws that need to be removed. I did require a 90 degree attachment, as my screwdrivers were too long to fit in the space.
20230415_165153.jpg

Here you can see after removal, the degree of twist travel
20230415_172935.jpg

Getting this far was easy enough, but after seemed to be a tad difficult for me. It was very hard to pull them out, and I ended up using the widest flathead screwdriver I had to slowly pry it up enough for my fingers to do the rest. Putting the new parts back in was also difficult, but took far less effort to push in than to pull out. I did get coolant all over myself, but it did seem that if you point the hoses upward, after the initial spill nothing more came out. Overall took me 1 hour (not including time spent hunting for the right tools), and I am by no means an experienced mechanic, in fact quite the opposite.
Just in case this procedure is needed for the new folks having this issue. Specific to the replacement of just the two little guys, not the whole mid pipe.
Sponsored

eharri3

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
#20Fordf150
Occupation
Business
21 XLT 4x4 with 22k
I got the powertrain malfunction light last week for 5 minutes, went off, never came on again in another 100-plus miles of driving.

i thought it might have been a battery issue because the truck had sat for a bit. But The dealer just read the heat exchanger code from the history and has ordered the valve for installation next week. I was told I do not have a leak and the truck remains driveavle.

Admittedly I did not get deep in the weeds when I picked it up as both me and them were looking to get out of there and start Easter weekend. But it sounds like I have the bad servo issue.

Should be buttoned up next week. I can't find it anywhere, were there updates to any of these problem parts yet or are they throwing in the same ones?

Last edited:

Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Got a CEL Thursday. Code set is P2C23, Exhaust Heat Exchanger Exhaust Bypass Valve "A" Position Sensor Performance. If Ford replaces the heat exchanger again, that will the fourth time.

Nasto

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew
Got a CEL Thursday. Code set is P2C23, Exhaust Heat Exchanger Exhaust Bypass Valve "A" Position Sensor Performance. If Ford replaces the heat exchanger again, that will the fourth time.
Getting real close to a 100-page thread full of blood, sweat, tears, workarounds - you name it - and still no recall. Go figure.

Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Just received word my truck needs another heat exchanger, so will be its fifth (original plus fourth replacement). Service manager says I am getting the updated part - we shall see.

Sponsored

Nasto

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just received word my truck needs another heat exchanger, so will be its fifth (original plus fourth replacement). Service manager says I am getting the updated part - we shall see.
5th? Wow. I don't feel so bad now at 3. :crying:

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
I will use this opportunity to point out that 2 hose clamps, 2' of 3/8" heater hose, a reflective DEI jacket for said hose, a big pair of pliers, a screwdriver, safety glasses (YOU WILL GET COOLANT IN YOUR FACE AND SWALLOW SOME...at least Ford's coolant has an effective bitterant) and your choice of profanity will prevent this issue from befalling you.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Trucks with oem original.
Trucks with multiple replacements.

Wish I could discover the logic or explanation for how that's possible.

It's not anything obvious, that's for sure.

S14suspense

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Powerboost Lariat 502a FX4 Smoked Quartz

I never got the fix done and dealer person reminds me about it every oil change. I noticed recently one of my coolant tanks seemed low. Will have to monitor that and press them for a fix I guess.

Sponsored

JoeWpg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1975 F250 4x4, 2021 F150 Powerboost
Yikes - 98 Pages! I have a 2021 Powerboost (that is getting regular OTA updates) but so far have not seen any issues.

Any chance the original poster (or an admin?) familiar with this entire thread, could write a summary (and post it on page 1)? Ie new/changed parts, what to watch for, solutions etc....

Nasto

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yikes - 98 Pages! I have a 2021 Powerboost (that is getting regular OTA updates) but so far have not seen any issues.

Any chance the original poster (or an admin?) familiar with this entire thread, could write a summary (and post it on page 1)? Ie new/changed parts, what to watch for, solutions etc....
We used to have a spreadsheet once upon a time...........

Nasto

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Could be worse, I guess.

Ford F-150 Powerboost CEL P237C/Exhaust Heat Exchanger Leak Megathread 1

lemonjive

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
2021 PB, taking truck in for 2nd service on heat exchanger. This time getting code P2C22. So I guess it's good this is only the second time? Is this covered under the powertrain warranty? Or maybe Hybrid/Electric unique component that goes up to 100K miles? Was getting P2C23 the first time though I never noticed any leaks. Had it fixed about 2 years ago.

Last edited:

Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Picked the truck up this afternoon. Shinny new heat exchanger and associated exhaust piping. The new part number listed on service ticket is PL3Z-5A212-B. The attached screen shot shows this part, but oddly it is missing the heat exchanger. Also replaced was the muffler and muffler inlet pipe.

Ford F-150 Powerboost CEL P237C/Exhaust Heat Exchanger Leak Megathread IMG_0033
Sponsored