Powerboost CEL P237C/Exhaust Heat Exchanger Leak Megathread

Nasto

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew
Many pages back I saw pictures of someone who did the the spigot R/R with the midpipe on the truck. Look like a tight job. I wonder on the second time around for you if Service Techs will remove the midpipe and change the spigots or do it on the vehicle.

Bummer this is a second failure
That will be the question of the day. As long as they fix it on 12/26 since I will have parts in hand.
Sponsored

Nasto

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That will be the question of the day. As long as they fix it on 12/26 since I will have parts in hand.
*Update* Dealer called today saying parts were in. Nice. Less than 24 hours. Bought 4 to have extra @ $5.95 each. Parts guy seemed surprised they were so cheap in price. I replied that maybe it's because the plastic is so cheap. Does not hold up well in extreme hot and cold. You'd think Ford would use a better material for such a vital part.

Then went to Service Dept and talked to my rep. Showed him my pics. He said it did look like the spigots were leaking, but until they get a look at it on 12/26, he can't say if there's any "wallowing", which I took as enlargement of the holes the spigots screw into. If that's the case, I'm looking at another whole pipe. Fortunately, that would be a few more days away, not weeks. Stay tuned.

Ford F-150 Powerboost CEL P237C/Exhaust Heat Exchanger Leak Megathread 001

Ford F-150 Powerboost CEL P237C/Exhaust Heat Exchanger Leak Megathread 002

Spiffy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 platinum powerboost
Occupation
Retired
After a month and half my dealer finally diagnosed my truck. As suspected the exchanger was the issue. They texted me back and called it an Inlet tube..
Are they referring to the right part?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Yes. Except technically one of the tubes is an outlet tube. :)

Surely they replace both, since it could be difficult to pinpoint which of the two identical parts are leaking since they are adjacent and both would be wet.

Spiffy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 platinum powerboost
Occupation
Retired
In my case it's just the servo giving bad info. I don't have leaks. Yet

Sponsored

Spiffy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 platinum powerboost
Occupation
Retired
Since they are replacing the mid pipe assembly is there any reason I can't have the intire part back? Are they doing a core charge? I was thinking of replacing the servo and spigots. Then if someone needs this in a pinch or doesn't have warranty I can send it.
Does the servo assembly have a part number?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Very doubtful they will part with the assembly. It's been requested before.

Nasto

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Very doubtful they will part with the assembly. It's been requested before.
My service date on 12/26 was quite exciting, for lack of a better word. Got there early with replacement spigots in hand (the non-technical jargon the service dept. uses is "nipples"). o_O
I prepared for a 3-hour wait, in which I was told could be longer since "not all the techs are hybrid-trained". Yikes! Three hours later my consultant breaks the news to me. Yes, the old nipples are bad, BUT, the heat exchanger is also cracked and needs to be replaced. Perfect. Then he hits me with the Christmas miracle. He has one in stock that another customer failed to utilize, so they are installing for me! He said will take another 3 hours, so I decided to go home. They paid for my Lyft ride. Longer story shorter, they kept it overnight because they needed a gasket ordered to complete the install. Too late to pick up today, will get tomorrow.

Counting the original, this will be the third attempt at a heat exchanger that doesn't fail. Who knows? This might turn into a yearly thing like oil changes or tune-ups. Attached is a picture with the current part number. Good luck and Happy New Year!

Ford F-150 Powerboost CEL P237C/Exhaust Heat Exchanger Leak Megathread 2023-12-27_18-05-41

Spiffy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 platinum powerboost
Occupation
Retired
So I finally got my diagnosis. New pipe. Now I have to wait again for the part and the appointment. I didn't go away empty handed.
My 6k audio system is not working. Power to the 12v trigger is not there. I know they messed around under dash. I have the comma3x autopilot. It connects to the OBD port. When I dropped the truck off I unplugged the port and stuffed the harness WAY up inside. Way up!! When I picked the truck up the harness was pulled out and crossover connections unplugged.
Now my aftermarket audo system doesn't work and my C3X won't boot.
Looks like I got a technician that was a bit curious. At least I didn't get any indication that I won't be getting a covered repair.
Somebitch broke both my aftermarket stuff.

Gluvva10

First Name
Carlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tbd
Well after 23,850 KMS (14,820 miles), My CEL came on yesterday and threw the code P237C. looks to be the usual heat exchanger. I am in Canada, has the parts backorder/shortage been fixed? and also is it ok to keep driving it?

Sponsored

Nasto

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well after 23,850 KMS (14,820 miles), My CEL came on yesterday and threw the code P237C. looks to be the usual heat exchanger. I am in Canada, has the parts backorder/shortage been fixed? and also is it ok to keep driving it?
Not sure about Canada, but mostly the entire heat exchanger assembly is days out and not weeks out here. And perhaps it's the spigots (inlet/outlet tubes) that need replacing instead of the whole pipe and those are easy to get. Are you leaking coolant at all? If so, how bad? Your dealer should get it on the lift and eyeball it. You can keep driving with small leaks but have them give you a jug of the correct coolant to keep handy. Some dealers say you can keep driving, some don't. Depends.

Gluvva10

First Name
Carlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tbd
Not sure about Canada, but mostly the entire heat exchanger assembly is days out and not weeks out here. And perhaps it's the spigots (inlet/outlet tubes) that need replacing instead of the whole pipe and those are easy to get. Are you leaking coolant at all? If so, how bad? Your dealer should get it on the lift and eyeball it. You can keep driving with small leaks but have them give you a jug of the correct coolant to keep handy. Some dealers say you can keep driving, some don't. Depends.
I booked an appointment but it is not until Thursday 02/08. Unfortunately I Cannot tell if I am leaking coolant since it has been snowing here and the truck is essentially wet everywhere. I have been keeping an eye on the coolant reservoir in the engine bay. I told the service advisor I might be losing coolant and they said they will give me a jug to top it up. Also they said that if the light is on and is not blinking it is ok to drive.

Gluvva10

First Name
Carlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tbd
Well, I was told that I would need a NL3Z-5A212-B part and it will take a couple of days. Although I am not sure exactly what the exactly is the issue. but looking the part it looks to be just a exhaust pipe extension piece. not sure how this will fix the issue.

Nasto

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well, I was told that I would need a NL3Z-5A212-B part and it will take a couple of days. Although I am not sure exactly what the exactly is the issue. but looking the part it looks to be just a exhaust pipe extension piece. not sure how this will fix the issue.
My latest repair used part NL3Z-5A212-C. I have a 6.5 ft bed. Are you 5.5? I'm thinking that's why your part number ends with "B".

A couple of days out is great! In the dark ages of this thread, the wait was weeks if not months.

Gluvva10

First Name
Carlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tbd
My latest repair used part NL3Z-5A212-C. I have a 6.5 ft bed. Are you 5.5? I'm thinking that's why your part number ends with "B".

A couple of days out is great! In the dark ages of this thread, the wait was weeks if not months.
Yup its short bed. is that part number the whole assembly for exhaust and heat exchanger?
Sponsored