Sponsored

Post Your List of Repairs/Failures (Warranty, or otherwise)

Hfyvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 PB
2023 XLT 302A PB (July 2023 build)
5000km

Cracked transmission pan from factory, leaking
-new pan installed

Trailer Brake malfunction
-repaired by recoding

Charging system service soon, deep sleep
-12V battery replaced

Steering wheel alignment off from factory
-4 wheel alignment

EIWE issue once it was <0
-I’ll replace once there is an actual fix

Ford has been good so far about the repairs with zero pushback.
Sponsored

testerdahl

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Used to own 2021 Ford F-150 Powerboost
Occupation
Automotive Journalist
Hello, automotive journalist here. Thanks for this thread. I'm working on a known issues post and I'd like to reference the items above.

I'm wondering about the 10-speed transmission. I get emails a few times a month complaining about it, but I'm not seeing much on this thread.

Is there a thread will all the known problems?

I did a post and video like this from a Toyota forum: https://pickuptrucktalk.com/2024/01/2022-2024-toyota-tundra-known-problems/

Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
FordConvert

FordConvert

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB 502A
Occupation
Builder
Hello, automotive journalist here. Thanks for this thread. I'm working on a known issues post and I'd like to reference the items above.

I'm wondering about the 10-speed transmission. I get emails a few times a month complaining about it, but I'm not seeing much on this thread.

I did a post and video like this from a Toyota forum: https://pickuptrucktalk.com/2024/01/2022-2024-toyota-tundra-known-problems/

Thanks in advance.
This thread details the saga with my transmission:

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/p084b-transmission-fault-slipping.13614/

Hope that helps.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE

Thanks in advance.
The recalls are one, the max tow axle that can't be fixed is pretty big. The other issues popping up are the front differential housings breaking without abuse. The 10r80 issues are fairly well known, check all forums, particularly mustang ones in regards to weakness. 2023 powerboost models came with all sorts of electrical gremlins.

Powerboost owners typically fall into 2 categories, very happy or endless nightmare. I personally believe the latter falls on a declining pool of talented technicians not able to keep up with understanding / troubleshooting of electrical systems. This really falls at ford's feet. The amount of data that computerized systems can provide ends up being a hinderance if the tech can't make sense of it due to lack of training or inadequate diagnostic tools.

charlesdf22

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A few Toyota’s
9k miles and I’ve only had the recalls and 1 max tow axle.

My dealership has been great thus far, which makes all the difference in my opinion. The poor people on here where their vehicles are waiting for parts for months is infuriating. While it is certainly annoying to have something that needs fixed, it makes all the difference to have the vehicle back on the same or next day.

Sponsored

PatchManager

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew
Occupation
Firmware Engineer
So far on my 2023 bought new in February of 2023:

1. Horn failed at 17,000 miles

2. Drivers side window switch is currently failing

4. Transmission was iffy on highway downshift under aggressive throttle, but resetting it has solved all bad shifting-so I can write this one off.

Besides that love the truck, but ford could improve quality. No doubt about it.
How long do you think it took you to realize the horn didn't work? I think it might take me months.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Just short of 2 years with my second personal Powerboost.
Has been pretty much flawless until I sheared the Max Tow axle bolt on the passenger side.

Intended to purchase the axle and replace myself, but ended up giving my dealership an opportunity NOT to disappoint.
Dropped it off last Wednesday morning. It made it on the rack before days end, to confirm the broken bolt. (they can't take the customer's word) They ordered the axle.
Order got kicked back by Ford because the 8 page recall spells out that dealerships can NOT currently order axles for inventory or used trucks, therefore pictures of the customers axle must accompany each parts order.
My dealership didn't read the documentation close enough, but ammended the order Thursday morning.
But they DID perform the 3 other recalls on my truck that I had already confirmed were not affecting my truck.
Axle arrived Friday and the truck was repaired, although they didn't notify me that my truck was ready until late this afternoon. Meaning my truck spent 3 additional days at the dealership after it was repaired. 🤔

So my dealership did a much better job than some of the horror stories chronicled on this forum.

The only snafu is that the porter backed a customer's Platinum F150 into my personal car when I stopped in Thursday to get a progress report.

I'll be leaving it with the dealership tomorrow when I pick up my truck.

The Powerboost catches a lot of grief on the forums. But I think the majority of them are owned by satisfied folks. I still find mine an amazing vehicle.

Oilberta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 302A 5.0 Sport Max Tow 6.5
Bought in Nov 2022:

-trailer connector
-trailer brake module
-rear leaf springs (both of em)
-front strut leaking
-exhaust clamp rattle/replacement
-trailer connector wiring/module update
-axle EBrake wiring recall
-battery dead, no replacement
-license plate wiring and housing
-max tow recall no fix
-drivers window switch
-module updates x2

Still remaining is battery issue, drivers window switch intermittent function, two rear shocks leaking, max tow recall outstanding, OTA updates not working since Jan 2023.

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
2021 PowerBoost Platinum SuperCrew, 27,500 miles.
Some insulation fell near the drive shaft but I bent it up till the dealer glued it back.
Had the 12v battery replaced under warranty.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
2 batteries
1 tire pressure thing
3 recalls, one on reverse assist and one wiring thing on rear axle and the wiper thing (wiper was good no action needed)
17k so far

Sponsored

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 PB
Occupation
Owner, IT Consulting\MSP company.
Holy crap... Feel bad for you guys, especially OP... Geeze!
:(
I guess I better hug my Bible and Rabbits foot a little tighter.
So far just two stereo static situations and a crappy sounding stereo.
Static hasn't happened in a long time.
I have two recalls that haven't happened (yet) just waiting on parts.

June 2022, PB Plat, 20,200 miles.

testerdahl

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Automotive Journalist
Just short of 2 years with my second personal Powerboost.
Has been pretty much flawless until I sheared the Max Tow axle bolt on the passenger side.

Intended to purchase the axle and replace myself, but ended up giving my dealership an opportunity NOT to disappoint.
Dropped it off last Wednesday morning. It made it on the rack before days end, to confirm the broken bolt. (they can't take the customer's word) They ordered the axle.
Order got kicked back by Ford because the 8 page recall spells out that dealerships can NOT currently order axles for inventory or used trucks, therefore pictures of the customers axle must accompany each parts order.
My dealership didn't read the documentation close enough, but ammended the order Thursday morning.
But they DID perform the 3 other recalls on my truck that I had already confirmed were not affecting my truck.
Axle arrived Friday and the truck was repaired, although they didn't notify me that my truck was ready until late this afternoon. Meaning my truck spent 3 additional days at the dealership after it was repaired. 🤔

So my dealership did a much better job than some of the horror stories chronicled on this forum.

The only snafu is that the porter backed a customer's Platinum F150 into my personal car when I stopped in Thursday to get a progress report.

I'll be leaving it with the dealership tomorrow when I pick up my truck.

The Powerboost catches a lot of grief on the forums. But I think the majority of them are owned by satisfied folks. I still find mine an amazing vehicle.
Just curious. Do you have happen to have any pics of the sheared bolt? Maybe you posted it elsewhere and I'm not seeing it. Sorry if you have to repost it again.

OP
OP
FordConvert

FordConvert

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB 502A
Occupation
Builder
Just curious. Do you have happen to have any pics of the sheared bolt? Maybe you posted it elsewhere and I'm not seeing it. Sorry if you have to repost it again.
Ford F-150 Post Your List of Repairs/Failures (Warranty, or otherwise) IMG_1810

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
No worries.
I picked the truck up today from the dealership. No dents, dings, scratches! No grimey prints on anything. And only a few tenths of a mile on the odometer.

I'll remove the wheels tonight and inspect. Work Order states BOTH axles and hubs replaced per Recall. And listed the axle part numbers. It did not list part numbers for hubs, so I think the term "axle and hub" is not literal.

My sheared bolt looks like the many I have seen on other posts:

Ford F-150 Post Your List of Repairs/Failures (Warranty, or otherwise) 20240120_151123

The broken bolt still inside the axle looks like this:

Ford F-150 Post Your List of Repairs/Failures (Warranty, or otherwise) 20240120_151157

It tempts you relentlessly to extract it yourself! Afterall, look at all that meat to drill into and get some torque on.

I won't even bother if it happens in the future. 🙄🤣

The Bolt is rather hefty, but it's crudely machined threads and has permanent loctite. I'm not saying someone more manly than me can't get it out, but I did go after it with a fair amount of tenacity, before finally crying U.N.C.L.E

testerdahl

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Automotive Journalist
Thanks to you both.

The list looks like:

Major issues
- 10 speed auto
- Recalls like the sheared bolt
- Electrical gremlins especially with PB.
- Dead batteries
- Front differential housings breaking without abuse

Less common:
- Rob's truck with a host of issues like leaf springs
- General build quality issues like insulation falling down (BTW, I had a piece of rubber fall down on the 2022 Tundra I owned that they had to glue back on too)

Anything I'm missing?
Sponsored