Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB 502A
Occupation
Builder
'21 Lariat PB Max Tow

Back in May I started getting this warning during sustained freeway-speed hill climbs:

Ford F-150 P084B Transmission Fault, Slipping IMG_5165

The powertrain fault is P084B when this happens - "Transmission fluid pressure sensor/switch "H" circuit range..."

The vehicle seemed unaffected, but I took it in for service anyway. Four appointments since May. Twice they've replaced a sensor, but the fault keeps occurring.

It's recently been getting worse. Used to be just sustained hill climbs at freeway speeds, but now it almost every time I'm on the freeway. I get a notification in my FordPass app every time - I have many dozens of these messages and haven't deleted them.

Ford F-150 P084B Transmission Fault, Slipping IMG_5166.PNG

Over the past few weeks this is now happening on sustained hill climbs:

Notice the transmission is not shifting. I'm not pulling or hauling anything. It feels like it's slipping/briefly losing power when the RPM's surge. This occurs in modes Normal, Eco, and Slippery, but never yet in Tow/Haul when I'm actually pulling a trailer.

I have a fifth service appointment with an "advanced" tech next Tuesday (every time I call in to say it's not fixed, the next appointment is at least a month out). Fingers crossed it's not a part that's out of stock forever!

Any thoughts from the ever-wise forum collective??
Sponsored

OP
OP
FordConvert

FordConvert

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Builder
Update for those who come across this same issue. Tech convinced Ford to replace the transmission auxiliary fluid pump and associated parts. Will update when work is complete. Pump is back ordered for now.
Ford F-150 P084B Transmission Fault, Slipping 6F74D808-0462-49FC-B1AC-2E714FBB97A9

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Sucks to be having these issues. What's the build date on your Lariat PB?

Sponsored

22Platinum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR 3.5
Occupation
software engineer
I'd be sad without a trans replacement as it doesn't take long to burn up the bands slipping like that. Sucks.

Wildly it might have been better to lean on it when its slipping and burn it up completely, forcing the R&R

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I'd be sad without a trans replacement as it doesn't take long to burn up the bands slipping like that. Sucks.

Wildly it might have been better to lean on it when its slipping and burn it up completely, forcing the R&R
Not that kind of transmission.

I'm not saying that there aren't components that could experience accelerated wear, but the 10r80 is a long ways from the Era of slush-box automatic transmissions.

22Platinum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR 3.5
Occupation
software engineer
Hard to say what is slipping from here to be sure

But if it's any of these:
Ford F-150 P084B Transmission Fault, Slipping 1668087616213

It won't take long to need new ones.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Update for those who come across this same issue. Tech convinced Ford to replace the transmission auxiliary fluid pump and associated parts. Will update when work is complete. Pump is back ordered for now.
6F74D808-0462-49FC-B1AC-2E714FBB97A9.jpeg
Seems like a percentage of 21+ 10R80's are having issues with the aux pump. Makes me curious how many are faulty.

OP
OP
FordConvert

FordConvert

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Builder
From what I understand, the aux pump keeps pressure up when ICE is off. Not sure how a faulty aux pump causes "slipping" when climbing hills at freeway speeds.

Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Not sure how it would either. One thing you can try if you haven't taken it back in yet. Clear the adaptive tables with Forscan. One of the parameters the adaptive tables do is set pressures and detect for slipping under different conditions. If the system has picked up an off pressure setting that is allowing the clutches to slip, clearing the tables may help fix it. This is something the tech should do after servicing the transmission anyway. So it's worth a shot.

Reset it and drive it calmly on surface streets for about 30 minutes to set the initial values. Then over the next 250-500 miles it will "re-learn" your driving style and adapt to it.

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes

Agree! Break it properly so F has to fix it...

OP
OP
FordConvert

FordConvert

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Builder
Update. Slipping only seems to happen in gears 8-10. When I lock those out and keep it at 7 there is no slipping.

Is it an RPM thing, or something with that set of gears?

I did notice the slipping once in gear 6, however.

And sometimes when I pass through 5th it slips.

36k miles on the truck. *sigh*

OP
OP
FordConvert

FordConvert

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Builder
Update.

Pulled a trailer to the dump today and I think that did the trick. Serious slipping. Sometimes hitting redline during shifts under load. Got the trailer back to the site okay but it got worse on the way home. Eventually got the message to pull over and stop. Was able to restart it and limp it to a nearby dealership. They will look at it tomorrow. 38k miles. Max tow package. Trailer was 7500 loaded.

OP
OP
FordConvert

FordConvert

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Builder