Sponsored

Pitting on axle housing

Onyx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 3.0L Powerstroke
So, I've seen the axle and rear diff rust be brushed off by Ford as surface rust and not affecting part longevity. I'm in the process of cleaning up my rear axle and diff and found this under the axle sticker. What do you guys think? I know it's thick steel but really, this is a 15 month old truck!

Ford F-150 Pitting on axle housing PXL_20230523_175842121
Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
You would probably poop in yer britches if you saw what my 2005 F150 looks like under there. And it's still going strong with no hint of a problem.

IMO you have no cause for concern (beyond the OCD that has you "cleaning up my rear axle and diff" o_O ;))

OP
OP
Onyx

Onyx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 3.0L Powerstroke
You would probably poop in yer britches if you saw what my 2005 F150 looks like under there. And it's still going strong with no hint of a problem.

IMO you have no cause for concern (beyond the OCD that has you "cleaning up my rear axle and diff" o_O ;))
OCD because I'm taking care of a new truck I paid 60k for? I stopped subscribing to that whole 'it's a problem for future me' when I had a frame rust out on a 17 year old truck that was also 'going strong'. We use a shit ton of salt on the roads here in winter. I'm not letting anything like that happen again, so call it what you will :)

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
Fair enuf, I'll admit salted roads are not part of my experience.

Sneezy

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL
We use a shit ton of salt on the roads here in winter.
Do you ever use fluid film or wax based undercoatings? They’re a pain to maintain a vehicle properly since removing trim panels throughout the entire vehicle is an annual chore to get every single nook and cranny. However they do work wonders when properly applied and maintained.

Fords frames are usually pretty stout when it comes to rusting. They have really been having a problem with these axles though since the very first 21 models started rolling off the line.

Sponsored

Natetroknot

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT 3.5 302A
As a former Toyota owner in the rust belt, and thus a well-seasoned fluid film/wollwax user - Ford does a great job with their frames but the 14th gen rear axles are a different story. Supplier steel, cheap Chinese pot metal. Only part of my truck to get sprayed, and it needed it, big time.

That putting needs treatment if you wanna keep your truck love it long time.

OP
OP
Onyx

Onyx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 3.0L Powerstroke
Do you ever use fluid film or wax based undercoatings? They’re a pain to maintain a vehicle properly since removing trim panels throughout the entire vehicle is an annual chore to get every single nook and cranny. However they do work wonders when properly applied and maintained.

Fords frames are usually pretty stout when it comes to rusting. They have really been having a problem with these axles though since the very first 21 models started rolling off the line.
That's the plan! I'm probably going to use Eastwood internal frame coating and RP-342. I used Fluid Film on my last truck and while it did work okay, it collects a ton of road grime, melts in the summer, and you get slimed any time you need to work on the truck. For this one I want to know when something is leaking.

Shame about these axles. I'm stripping the paint off now and it's incredibly thin.

OP
OP
Onyx

Onyx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 3.0L Powerstroke
As a former Toyota owner in the rust belt, and thus a well-seasoned fluid film/wollwax user - Ford does a great job with their frames but the 14th gen rear axles are a different story. Supplier steel, cheap Chinese pot metal. Only part of my truck to get sprayed, and it needed it, big time.

That putting needs treatment if you wanna keep your truck love it long time.
What kind of treatment? As of now I've wire wheel'd it and will use phosphoric acid to prep, paint over with Epoxy, then spray with cosmoline.

Yeah, the frame is why I chose Ford over a GM. The Tundra undercarriage looks like they didn't skimp like Ford has here, but I was after a diesel.

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
OCD because I'm taking care of a new truck I paid 60k for? I stopped subscribing to that whole 'it's a problem for future me' when I had a frame rust out on a 17 year old truck that was also 'going strong'. We use a shit ton of salt on the roads here in winter. I'm not letting anything like that happen again, so call it what you will :)
Cleaning it will not stop the salt. Get it undercoated. End of issue.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Here in the desert rust is not a problem for cars and you see vehicles that have had their paint baked/sandblasted off by the elements and just a thin patina of flash rust will coat the metal.

That being said; the underbody of my 2006 Silverado looked brand new off the showroom when I sold it with zero rust and good paint on the frame and axle housing despite being 15 years old and having over 100K miles.

My 2021 F150 was transported from Kansas City in January and they must purposefully drive the new trucks through puddles of saltwater and never wash them off while in transit because there is significant rust and the poor quality, thin to nonexistent dumpster paint Ford uses on their axles and frames is shameful. The fasteners also have a significant amount of corrosion as well. Next truck will be ordered to time delivery with the summer months!

In the axle housing thread, I posted the underbody of a 2021 4Runner purchased a month after my truck arrived and despite traveling halfway around the world and through multiple ports; Toyota was able to deliver their vehicle clean enough to eat off if you turned it upside down!

Ford still has the mentality of shipping/building cheap trucks while charging luxury vehicle prices!

While the ‘fully boxed frame’ technology has been touted as an advantage for consumers. It’s a huge disadvantage when it comes to longevity and repair of the frame.

Sponsored

Natetroknot

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT 3.5 302A
What kind of treatment? As of now I've wire wheel'd it and will use phosphoric acid to prep, paint over with Epoxy, then spray with cosmoline.

Yeah, the frame is why I chose Ford over a GM. The Tundra undercarriage looks like they didn't skimp like Ford has here, but I was after a diesel.
I’d rattle can what you wire brushed bare, let it dry a couple days, and then use fluid film or wollwax a couple times a year. Wollwax stands up to the elements better.

Edit: not familiar with cosmoline, but if it’s a lanolin based rust inhibitor, cool. Just paint the bare metal, let it cure, and stay away from undercoat type products.

OP
OP
Onyx

Onyx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 3.0L Powerstroke
I’d rattle can what you wire brushed bare, let it dry a couple days, and then use fluid film or wollwax a couple times a year. Wollwax stands up to the elements better.

Edit: not familiar with cosmoline, but if it’s a lanolin based rust inhibitor, cool. Just paint the bare metal, let it cure, and stay away from undercoat type products.
Oh gotcha. I thought maybe you had some tricks I didn't know of up your sleeve ;) Phosphoric acid for metal prep then rattle can VHT rollbar and chassis epoxy is my route. Removing the leaf springs might have to happen. The corrosion in there has been tough to get.

Yeah, I've done the fluid film thing and don't want to go that way again (for reasons I stated above). Cosmoline is a wax based rust inhibitor that creeps when you spray it, then dries to a substance that is flexible and self healing but won't attract dirt, resistant to salt spray and pressure washing. CRC marine corrosion inhibitor or RP-342 are a couple options.

OP
OP
Onyx

Onyx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 3.0L Powerstroke
Here in the desert rust is not a problem for cars and you see vehicles that have had their paint baked/sandblasted off by the elements and just a thin patina of flash rust will coat the metal.

That being said; the underbody of my 2006 Silverado looked brand new off the showroom when I sold it with zero rust and good paint on the frame and axle housing despite being 15 years old and having over 100K miles.

My 2021 F150 was transported from Kansas City in January and they must purposefully drive the new trucks through puddles of saltwater and never wash them off while in transit because there is significant rust and the poor quality, thin to nonexistent dumpster paint Ford uses on their axles and frames is shameful. The fasteners also have a significant amount of corrosion as well. Next truck will be ordered to time delivery with the summer months!

In the axle housing thread, I posted the underbody of a 2021 4Runner purchased a month after my truck arrived and despite traveling halfway around the world and through multiple ports; Toyota was able to deliver their vehicle clean enough to eat off if you turned it upside down!

Ford still has the mentality of shipping/building cheap trucks while charging luxury vehicle prices!

While the ‘fully boxed frame’ technology has been touted as an advantage for consumers. It’s a huge disadvantage when it comes to longevity and repair of the frame.
That must be nice...If only we were so lucky here.

Yeah, there appears to be a lack of care regarding the transport between factories. I've seen that pop up a few times, especially in Dearborn. Even with the recent customer complaints, it doesn't seem to be getting better. Why can Toyota do it but Ford can't? I think they can, they just don't care. But at least Ford boxed frames hold up better than the Tacomas (which are actually layered steel).

OP
OP
Onyx

Onyx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 3.0L Powerstroke
Alright, so, next question. There appear to be 3 holes in the front of the rear diff (see closeups). The one on the bottom looks like it may serve a purpose but the top two look like crappy welds that have broken. Are these meant to be there?

Ford F-150 Pitting on axle housing PXL_20230524_010715079

Ford F-150 Pitting on axle housing PXL_20230524_010630630

Ford F-150 Pitting on axle housing PXL_20230524_010638851

LCMM55

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Hybrid Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
Amsoil MP Heavy Duty makes a waxy type of spray on material. I am in SC so no salt issues. Put the truck on ramps and go to town covering everthing. My 2021 was 7 mo old when i bought it in January 22 from North Carolina dealer. No rust at the time so i got to the spraying asap. Washes of eye glasses with alcohol. I Will recoat every 2 years.
Sponsored