Sponsored

PB using traditional starter more and more...

OP
OP
mxwrk

mxwrk

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Powerboost
I feel pretty confident that if your truck was suffering even the slightest failure of a fundamental component, you'd be getting codes.
That doesn't necessarily mean that it's easy to troubleshoot an issue, but the shear number of parameters under constant monitoring on these trucks is daunting.

I am curious how you are discerning so clearly between the bendix vs the BISG. At least from inside the cabin while driving. I ask because my truck starts so quickly with either method that it's tough to discern.
This is only during initial startup, not during start/stop driving. It’s easy to hear the cranking sound of the traditional starter motor right after I push to start. In comparison, for the last 2 years it would start in electric mode and then BISG over to ICE.
Sponsored

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 KR F150
Maybe pull the SOC of the HV battery, if it's low that would explain it. But there's other parameters used to determine which is used.

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 KR F150

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Yeah, I didn't realize that you meant for coldstarts.
I believe Ford does use the bendix starter for coldstarts. Of course if your HV battery SOC is sufficient, and there's no immediate parameter demanding ICE, I suppose it's possible the first time the ICE act starts is after the vehicle is underway. I don't know exactly which starter with those circumstances will be used.

In warmer temps, I can make it a 1/4 mile before I hit the accelerator with enough torque demand to require ICE. But as I described above, I'm in the cabin and have enough audio going on that I can't discern the starter.

OP
OP
mxwrk

mxwrk

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Powerboost
Yeah, I didn't realize that you meant for coldstarts.
I believe Ford does use the bendix starter for coldstarts. Of course if your HV battery SOC is sufficient, and there's no immediate parameter demanding ICE, I suppose it's possible the first time the ICE act starts is after the vehicle is underway. I don't know exactly which starter with those circumstances will be used.

In warmer temps, I can make it a 1/4 mile before I hit the accelerator with enough torque demand to require ICE. But as I described above, I'm in the cabin and have enough audio going on that I can't discern the starter.
Yeah, to me its behaving like the HV battery doesn't have the SOC to start it up. It's just odd that its acted one way for so long and has now changed. Oh well...still runs

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 307a PB, Mach E GTPE
Yeah, to me its behaving like the HV battery doesn't have the SOC to start it up. It's just odd that its acted one way for so long and has now changed. Oh well...still runs
The only time my flywheel starter has engaged was when the 12v SOC was low so it could be indicative that your truck thinks something is wrong with your 12v batt/s. Don't rule out the aux batt as well. It could also be your parking / shutdown routine. If you're spending a few minutes getting out, the truck will use the HVB to generate 12v until it hits its low limit. If it's hot when you park and right at its limit, overnight when it cools down you can lose a few %.

You can test the low HVB SOC by parking and hitting the gas pedal to turn on the ICE. It will then charge up the HVB and shut off the ICE when its "full".

Last edited:
OP
OP
mxwrk

mxwrk

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Powerboost
The only time my flywheel starter has engaged was when the 12v SOC was low so it could be indicative that your truck thinks something is wrong with your 12v batt/s
I just threw my charger on to see if that’ll help

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 307a PB, Mach E GTPE
I just threw my charger on to see if that’ll help
Updated post w/ a HVB SOC test method. Granted if you're charging the batt right now, and it works, then you'll have another data point.

skiteton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat PB | 2022 Explorer ST
Mine has been occasionally cold starting straight to the ICE for about a month. Seems to coincide with a popping sound coming from the speakers after I shut the truck off. I can hear the popping outside of the vehicle with the windows up. When I've heard the popping, I have started the truck again, moved it, turned it off, and the popping continues after shutdown. The next time I start the truck (usually ~8-10 hours later), it will start straight to ICE and no electric mode until a few miles. This happens about 3 times a week.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
Drive it in Tow/Haul for a week.

22redrocket

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Sport Powerboost 2020 Audi SQ7
I don’t think I’ve ever heard a traditional starter on my 22 PB with 16k miles. Always just fires up silently from the electric mode. I was under the impression these did t even have a traditional starter, just by the fact I’ve never heard one.
Sponsored