First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT Sport PB SuperCrew 6.5' 7.2Kw
Occupation
Trader
We could just tow an outboard trailer with a larger battery, kinda like this: ;)

Ford F-150 Add a battery in parallel for more PB? battery
Sponsored

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
I run out of battery all the time as I'm doing a slow cruise at say 35-40 and after a little bit of that the big engine turns on due to lack of electricity, not because I'm asking for more power and needing the gas engine.
Are you saying something else other than this?
So you go downhill, get the hybrid battery fully charged, then start on an uphill or level area after the downhill, and fully deplete the battery without needing the engine? And then do this multiple times per day/drive? If so, then an extended battery may help you, but I don't think your situation is common for anyone else.

With my current job, I have a half-mile commute each way during the week, not too hilly. The 3.5 never even warms up, and I don't know if you've seen the gas mileage on that engine while cold, but its about 7-8mpg. I get that twice a day, since it won't run very long on battery. If you know a way to get it to stay on battery longer, I'm all ears. I've tried eco mode, and it seems like it helps a little, but really not all that much.
You're in the wrong vehicle to get good mileage, and no amount of extra battery is going to fix that. You need a PHEV, EV, or you could walk/bike since it's 1 mile round trip.

Just based on my driving, the truck needs a minimum of 110-120°F to go to full electric after the engine kicks on the first time, and the outside air temp and your HVAC settings can increase what the minimum engine temp needed is.

Reactions: WRS

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
It sounds like some people bought the wrong vehicle.

Or, are trying to turn the Powerboost into something it is not.

The Powerboost is freaking amazing for what it is! The perfect ICE/battery combination for HP, Torque, and it will run a house 😱!

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I want to caution regarding the long-term affects on the 3.5 Ecoboost if it rarely will see full operating temps.

I've been around that motor for several years now. Almost as long as Ford has produced it. It might seem anecdotal, but the healthiest high mileage examples are often the ones that got worked. Farmers, contractors, etc.
For sure if I had a daily commute that didn't allow the ECT's to reach 180-190's for some portion of the trip, I would seriously shorten my oil change intervals. I would also take the trouble of an occasional intentional longer drive and find a safe place to exercise the wastegates for their full range of motion. That would be WOT for at least a few seconds a couple of times.

hussar1683

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 PB (on order)
With my current job, I have a half-mile commute each way during the week, not too hilly. The 3.5 never even warms up, and I don't know if you've seen the gas mileage on that engine while cold, but its about 7-8mpg. I get that twice a day, since it won't run very long on battery. If you know a way to get it to stay on battery longer, I'm all ears. I've tried eco mode, and it seems like it helps a little, but really not all that much.
You actually drive .5 miles? It’s not good for your truck. You could even improve your own well being by just walking to work lol

Sponsored

OP
OP

artwolf

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 PowerBoost King Ranch 601A
You actually drive .5 miles? It’s not good for your truck. You could even improve your own well being by just walking to work lol
I'm a teacher, and where I live it's 100 degrees and 85+% humidity many days. I've tried it; just doesn't work well. I walk in the spring and fall.

OP
OP

artwolf

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 PowerBoost King Ranch 601A
I want to caution regarding the long-term affects on the 3.5 Ecoboost if it rarely will see full operating temps.

I've been around that motor for several years now. Almost as long as Ford has produced it. It might seem anecdotal, but the healthiest high mileage examples are often the ones that got worked. Farmers, contractors, etc.
For sure if I had a daily commute that didn't allow the ECT's to reach 180-190's for some portion of the trip, I would seriously shorten my oil change intervals. I would also take the trouble of an occasional intentional longer drive and find a safe place to exercise the wastegates for their full range of motion. That would be WOT for at least a few seconds a couple of times.
I appreciate the advice. I do take it on trips on the weekend and periodically during the week (including camping - fortunately my TT has A/C). I haven't ever taken it to WOT, but I can sure add that to my list! "But officer, f150gen14.com said I had to!"

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I appreciate the advice. I do take it on trips on the weekend and periodically during the week (including camping - fortunately my TT has A/C). I haven't ever taken it to WOT, but I can sure add that to my list! "But officer, f150gen14.com said I had to!"
Sounds good!
I was just hoping it does get good and heated up on occasion and gets to stretch its legs.

And yes, that's why I say "find a safe place" because these big giant heavy Powerboosts are deceivingly quick. It only takes a few seconds at WOT to get to frowned upon speeds!
I suggest keeping a cowboy hat in the truck for just such occasions. For decades I have found it to calm things down, if you know what I mean. :)

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Also isn’t the stock battery pack heated and cooled?
It has coolant in/out lines and is on a dedicated coolant loop separate from the engine coolant loop. It uses the smaller second expansion tank under the hood.

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
One small thing worth mentioning is that the more batteries you put in paralell, the longer they will take to charge.

Most chargers are rated for a certain current output, and if you increase the number of packs, it'll just take longer to charge them all.

So I wonder if the longer charging time would actually be detrimental, since it would tell the unit longer to get everything juiced up

Just food for thought, maybe these are smart lithium batteries or something and this doesn't apply.

SuperRaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Lariat 502A
So you go downhill, get the hybrid battery fully charged, then start on an uphill or level area after the downhill, and fully deplete the battery without needing the engine? And then do this multiple times per day/drive? If so, then an extended battery may help you, but I don't think your situation is common for anyone else.

It does it on two parts of my daily commute and find it happening semi regularly. I have a couple of uphills/downhills that end on flat ground so that's part of my issue/not actually an issue. My commute is up to ~28 MPG round trip with about 40% E driving so it's definitely working. Remember I do live in Seattle area and it's far from flat around here.

You're in the wrong vehicle to get good mileage, and no amount of extra battery is going to fix that. You need a PHEV, EV, or you could walk/bike since it's 1 mile round trip.

Just based on my driving, the truck needs a minimum of 110-120°F to go to full electric after the engine kicks on the first time, and the outside air temp and your HVAC settings can increase what the minimum engine temp needed is.
100%, 1/2 a mile isn't enough time to get anything warmed up or going. If it gets cold where you are I'd plug my engine in before I left in the morning.

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
I'm a teacher, and where I live it's 100 degrees and 85+% humidity many days. I've tried it; just doesn't work well. I walk in the spring and fall.
You would need a shower after a couple of hundred yards!