Sponsored

Paint issues?

FirstTimeFrank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Has anyone seen rust centered spots like this appearing after a few months? I’ve had to park outdoors, but I don’t drive much, and I wash/wax bi-weekly, so I’m comfortable saying that I’ve taken great car of the paint job. Today, after I washed and dried, I noticed about 2 dozen little spots. Upon closer inspection, they appeared to be rust in the center, with a white halo surrounding. Anyone else experience anything like this?
Ford F-150 Paint issues? A615E7D7-0946-4FAD-9881-5BB69A43C6F6

Ford F-150 Paint issues? BFAD426E-9F7A-4566-B0F6-934EEB0B0DF0

Ford F-150 Paint issues? 83130DE0-BB94-45AF-9E5E-412BA18875CF

Sponsored

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
Shouldn't be rust as most of the exterior panels are aluminum. Have you parked anywhere where some sort of aerial fallout (downwind of a chimney, or near someone welding, etc.)?

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
I’m curious where on the vehicle it is? It looks like what we called rail dust, but that generally only occurs on the front or rear. Depending on which way the vehicle was facing on the train, assuming it was transported by rail.

Is it possible you didn’t notice it until now? Or are you certain it wasn’t there the first few times you washed it?

OP
OP

FirstTimeFrank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Thanks for the feedback, folks. Forgot the panel is aluminum. This is mostly on the hood, mostly on the front quarter closest to the lights. Also a sparse few spots on the top portions of the left and right front quarter panels. I’m pretty sure this is the first time they have appeared. I have been trying to baby the paint before the planned full body PPF scheduled for next week. The spots may not be rust. They’re so tiny(about the size of a grain of sand) it’s hard to tell. But they’re practically fused to the paint which is why I assumed they were rust.

OP
OP

FirstTimeFrank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Shouldn't be rust as most of the exterior panels are aluminum. Have you parked anywhere where some sort of aerial fallout (downwind of a chimney, or near someone welding, etc.)?
There was some stone work done this weekend with a lot of stone cutting done in the back yard. The car is parked in the drive way in front of the house.

Sponsored

OP
OP

FirstTimeFrank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I’m curious where on the vehicle it is? It looks like what we called rail dust, but that generally only occurs on the front or rear. Depending on which way the vehicle was facing on the train, assuming it was transported by rail.

Is it possible you didn’t notice it until now? Or are you certain it wasn’t there the first few times you washed it?
I’ll repeat some of what I posted in replying to this thread:

This is mostly on the hood, mostly on the front quarter closest to the lights. Also a sparse few spots on the top portions of the left and right front quarter panels. I’m pretty sure this is the first time they have appeared. I have been trying to baby the paint before the planned full body PPF scheduled for next week.

Transport by rail was July. Since then I’ve driven cross country. Beyond the cross country trip, the car has mostly been parked, averaging ~80 miles a week.

The spots may not be rust. They’re so tiny(about the size of a grain of sand) it’s hard to tell. But they’re practically fused to the paint which is why I assumed they were rust.

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
I’ll repeat some of what I posted in replying to this thread:

This is mostly on the hood, mostly on the front quarter closest to the lights. Also a sparse few spots on the top portions of the left and right front quarter panels. I’m pretty sure this is the first time they have appeared. I have been trying to baby the paint before the planned full body PPF scheduled for next week.

Transport by rail was July. Since then I’ve driven cross country. Beyond the cross country trip, the car has mostly been parked, averaging ~80 miles a week.

The spots may not be rust. They’re so tiny(about the size of a grain of sand) it’s hard to tell. But they’re practically fused to the paint which is why I assumed they were rust.
I’d put money on it being rail dust. It happens when the hot particles of rail fly off and land on the vehicles, almost always lands on the leading end of the vehicle, and basically fuses to the paint. It’s a warrantable defect. But the problem is, at this point I don’t see how you could make a warranty case based on transport since you’ve had it for months and put thousands of miles on it.

I’ve seen that exact defect a lot on expeditions and navigators…

LA1401

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021Lariat 502a Supercab
Occupation
government employee
Has anyone seen rust centered spots like this appearing after a few months? I’ve had to park outdoors, but I don’t drive much, and I wash/wax bi-weekly, so I’m comfortable saying that I’ve taken great car of the paint job. Today, after I washed and dried, I noticed about 2 dozen little spots. Upon closer inspection, they appeared to be rust in the center, with a white halo surrounding. Anyone else experience anything like this?
A615E7D7-0946-4FAD-9881-5BB69A43C6F6.jpeg

BFAD426E-9F7A-4566-B0F6-934EEB0B0DF0.jpeg

83130DE0-BB94-45AF-9E5E-412BA18875CF.jpeg

Try an iron decontamination product to remove those

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Could have been the stone work -- Iron is found everywhere. As stated try iron decontamination and a clay bar with appropriate lubricant.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
A615E7D7-0946-4FAD-9881-5BB69A43C6F6.jpeg

BFAD426E-9F7A-4566-B0F6-934EEB0B0DF0.jpeg

83130DE0-BB94-45AF-9E5E-412BA18875CF.jpeg

Hi there. This rust concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your F-150. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.

Sponsored

OP
OP

FirstTimeFrank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Hi there. This rust concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your F-150. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.
Thanks, Ford. PM sent.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
looks like fall out
we have horribly dusty oily crushed asphalt roads in our neighborhood that cars kick up this brown cloud all day.
we have to leaf blow the crap off every morning, if not it sticks and makes nasties on the paint.

a good wash, clay bar and see what you have then proceed if its actually burned through the pain to the primer.
Sponsored