Paint issues

Asphaltman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150, 2021 F150, 2018 F-150 1997 F-250H
Occupation
Entrepreneur
I’m still waiting on some parts (3wks) so my dealer can finish the concerns I had on delivery. As I have had the truck, Ive noticed more and more paint issues. Most are on the list for the dealer to try and address. I just am at the point that I feel like I’m being too picky. Several problems were some sort contamination causing a bump in the paint. Super small and hardly noticeable, but it’s there... How picky would you guys be? I go from being pissed to just wanting to forget it and live with the issues. I do love the truck, but these fit and finish
Ford F-150 Paint issues AC7DFF91-B2D2-4A16-8C40-C994F71FEC2D
Ford F-150 Paint issues A7CBC0A0-9A77-4068-BF8A-07DEAD6ABBC8
Ford F-150 Paint issues 1A7B1F03-63BA-41ED-B0CF-59E861832985
Sponsored

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
Listen, it’s your truck. If you aren’t happy, your dealer shouldn’t be happy. It’s a big purchase. Get it fixed!!

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Some of those may be able to be corrected by a good body shop. But I don’t think you’re being too picky. Those are defects that aren’t acceptable. I am very particular about paintwork and mine looks pretty good. No defects like those.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Asphaltman

Asphaltman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150, 2021 F150, 2018 F-150 1997 F-250H
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Some of those may be able to be corrected by a good body shop. But I don’t think you’re being to picky. Those are defects that aren’t acceptable. I am very particular about paintwork and mine looks pretty good. No defects like those.
It’s also hard because I don’t know how much correction that I want to get into with the factory paint. Ultimately I just want the truck looking good but this is ridiculous. There’s probably at least a dozen of those little bumps that you can see in various spots on the truck, and then there’s probably a half dozen of the little dimples. There are runs in several spots. I’m not sure if this was a Friday truck, or being from KC, maybe day of after the Super Bowl truck..lol. This is also the rapid read which cost additional money for them to paint it to which kind of adds insult to injury. So far the dealer has been fine and we’ve just been waiting for parts for three weeks but now when I return and my list has doubled with additional items I’m not sure how it’s going to go down. To top off the factory issues, at some point before delivery the tailgate ended up with some very minor scratches at the dealer and somebody tried to buff them out and then burnt through the paint. So I know a section of tailgate will have to be painted and blended. It’s just a pain in the ass when you want your truck ready. Not to mention I ordered this on July 17 of last year and just took delivery on March 25. I’d be safe to say this was one of the longest waits too.

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
I know exactly how you feel, as I also got a bunch of paint and body defects.

Those parts where there is clearly something that is underneath the paint are really frustrating. You know that the guy who put the clear coat on must've seen’t it and didn’t even think to fix it before proceeding.

Normally I wouldn’t give that guy shit since he/she is probably being rushed to finish a thousand trucks everyday but now that they’re all messed up and the Ford plants have turned into puppy mills theres no excuse to not have proper paint.

And I also feel the same way you do. There are times when I want to smash a bunch of Ford people in the face. Then there’s other times were I’m just too busy or tired to think about it.
Right now I’m in the smashy mood. Some days I think about making a stink until someone decides to go ahead and fix my truck. Then I remember what my dealer told me.
I asked him if they ever kept my truck for more than a day for repairs, would I get a loaner. And without a single speck of hesitation or thought he gave me a big fat juicy “hell m********in’ NOOOO lol.

Sponsored

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
I’m still waiting on some parts (3wks) so my dealer can finish the concerns I had on delivery. As I have had the truck, Ive noticed more and more paint issues. Most are on the list for the dealer to try and address. I just am at the point that I feel like I’m being too picky. Several problems were some sort contamination causing a bump in the paint. Super small and hardly noticeable, but it’s there... How picky would you guys be? I go from being pissed to just wanting to forget it and live with the issues. I do love the truck, but these fit and finish
AC7DFF91-B2D2-4A16-8C40-C994F71FEC2D.jpeg
A7CBC0A0-9A77-4068-BF8A-07DEAD6ABBC8.jpeg
1A7B1F03-63BA-41ED-B0CF-59E861832985.jpeg
I promise I’ll post my defects later because I know when you see what these little piglets did to mine it will make you feel a lot better about yours.

But honestly yours are actually not that bad. I think I just feel that way because this is my second brand new f150 and I’ve already grown to accept that this is how they do it. And when you say anything about it they kind of just tell you that you’re being a little b**** because it’s a truck so man up.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
My take on this is:
Standard color no extra cost item—the pimples need to be taken care of, but I would not be as concerned so much with what looks like a fisheye unless they were all over the car. This implies something managed to get sprayed onto the surface right before paint, and the paint may lift over time.

Extra cost paint option, should be close to show quality.

Sadly, you are in a catch 22 situation.
You either live with it and have a bad taste in your mouth for some time (depending on how long you keep the car)

Attempt to get it all repaired which may cause other issues down the road.
Touchups and blends will eventually show up and possibly be unsightly.
The clear coating will not be the same or applied the same way the robots do it, may not be the same quality, and for it to be done CORRECTLY, the repair becomes panel coverage.

I wrecked my 05 Ranger within a couple of weeks of ownership.
required a fender replacement and door repair.
Within 5 years the fender and door needed a repaint.
shortly after the repaint, I damaged both upper bed rails and had those repaired. fast forward 5-6 years— Fender, Door and passenger bed rail needed painted again.

To be completely fair, this little truck spent most of its life just parked in the drive with the sun cooking the passenger side.
I only had those panels repainted because I could see them from my front porch and it annoyed me.

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Don’t have a portion of your tailgate repainted and blended. A *good* shop needs a to repaint the whole panel. Get a shop that is certified to do Porsche, Tesla, etc.

btw, good shops these days do flawless work. The dealer dinged my new Vette a few years ago and repainted the door. I insisted on a shop of my choice. It’s perfect.

Plat_2021

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 Lariat Sport, 2021 Platinum (on order)
Occupation
Network and Security Consultant
Now although I understand the frustration and too be honest, I have not gone over my truck in that much detail. (For me it a two year lease) and I have not had the time or weather to hand wash / wax it.

Now the strange part is that the paint process is almost fully done by robots and in theory all should be the same unless the surface was not clean prior to paint or there was some issue with the paint gun.

That aside, what are the options besides refusing the truck on delivery.

- A body shop tries to sand / buff / fill the imperfection (small area)
- Less noticeable maybe if the paint blend matches perfectly
- Maybe simply a change from a dimple to a Color variance.

- A body shop resolves the issues and resprays the complete panel (Door, Fendor, etc.)
- Less noticeable if the paint matches perfectly
- A good body shop guy will be able to tell that it was "fixed" for some reason
- The paint from a body shop cannot be baked on like the plant.

- A body shop resolves the issues and resprays the complete truck
- A good body shop guy will be able to tell that it was "fixed" for some reason
- The paint from a body shop cannot be baked on like the plant.

Not making excuses just laying out the options. As a side note "rework" could effect the value of the truck downstream.

Bullett

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 STX, 2016 Accord Touring
Occupation
Accountant
Has anyone come across the paint being sprayed too thin?
I have a leadfoot f150 and when the sun hits it just right I can see sections of tan at certain body lines. When I get close I can actually see that the paint was light in that area. Think the dealer will do anything about it? Overall the paint looks great but these tan spots irritate me

Sponsored

Ford4Ever

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Taurus SEL AWD, 21 F150 Lariat 502a
I have a leadfoot f150 and when the sun hits it just right I can see sections of tan at certain body lines. When I get close I can actually see that the paint was light in that area. Think the dealer will do anything about it? Overall the paint looks great but these tan spots irritate me
Never seen it on the body but all of my dark colored Fords have had the issue on the door hinges and inner door areas. Haven't noticed on my 2020 Mustang though, but it has got one of the best paint jobs I've seen from Ford in awhile.

jerryrenaud

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150
I have the issue you’re talking about on my black 2021 F150 XLT. Don’t really know what to do here outside of having it re-sprayed but considering the dealer can’t even handle a buffer without swirling the paint I don’t know what to do just deal with it I guess.

Ford F-150 Paint issues B4048413-2165-4580-AFA1-9DE525620A29

Ford F-150 Paint issues DFC7E90D-1115-4CA1-9909-9736303B2DB9

Ford F-150 Paint issues ED99840D-A749-4E43-B49A-931B6F82AEE3

Ford F-150 Paint issues 6E11E26F-12BD-46A5-8B13-918025F97EB1
Sponsored