Sponsored

Paint Issues - An Invitation to Share!

Indiana2021F150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
This is the first Ford product I have owned. After our third child was born I decided to get rid of 2019 Lexus GX for a 21 Lariat, 5.0 502A. Special order, etc., and took delivery last month. Literally took home with wrapping on vehicle and 17 mi on odometer. Super excited

Out of the gate, jokes aside about import build quality vs. domestic, it is pretty shocking that a $64k vehicle would be sent out for delivery with such poor build quality. Scratches on seats, interior panels had scratches, air dam scratched and, biggest issue - paint.

**Multiple clear coat nibs on hood.

**Drip/run on hood edge.

**Clear coat nib polished out at factory (can see smooth vs orange peel around area) and white/grey undercoat dip now visible.

**Scratch on A pillar touched up with pen and sloppy brush of clear coat!!

In posting this, I will readily admit that I am something of a perfectionist when it comes to vehicles, but wanted to see if anyone else has had similar paint issues. The chipped paint is simply mind blowing. I cannot imagine how anyone thought that it would be acceptable. And, given the location, I am not excited about the idea of having it repainted.

Would love to hear from others.

Ford F-150 Paint Issues - An Invitation to Share! 57C321B7-E7EF-413D-82D9-81C9230C5FBF
Sponsored

Rod507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT Powerboost
I am sure some will jump on you for stating all the defects on a mass produced vehicle and being picky blah blah blah… but like you, it is my first Ford and I agree that what we pay for these vehicle you do expect better quality. I assume COVID situation did not help. I have paint drips, clear coat patches (like someone leaned on it wet), rough cuts on the wheel well that wasn’t sanded down but painted… the list goes on. For me, most of it does not bother me, but it’s a head scratcher. I am one to trade vehicles every 3-4 years, so as long as no major mechanical issues and the minor defects aren’t expanded upon, I feel okay.

Asphaltman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150, 2021 F150, 2018 F-150 1997 F-250H
Occupation
Entrepreneur
I’ve had new trucks every couple years for the past 20 years or so, and this is the worst finished truck. I to have paint runs, dimples, lots of places that they painted over dust or some contaminants. It’s an absolute joke and it puts us as owners in a hard position because, sure they will fix it, but a lot of the process involves repainting whole panels which is something I have to think long and hard about wanting them to do.

allJUMPstyle

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1964 VW Bug, 1963 VW Doublecab, 2021 F-150 ordered
This is the first Ford product I have owned. After our third child was born I decided to get rid of 2019 Lexus GX for a 21 Lariat, 5.0 502A. Special order, etc., and took delivery last month. Literally took home with wrapping on vehicle and 17 mi on odometer. Super excited

Out of the gate, jokes aside about import build quality vs. domestic, it is pretty shocking that a $64k vehicle would be sent out for delivery with such poor build quality. Scratches on seats, interior panels had scratches, air dam scratched and, biggest issue - paint.

**Multiple clear coat nibs on hood.

**Drip/run on hood edge.

**Clear coat nib polished out at factory (can see smooth vs orange peel around area) and white/grey undercoat dip now visible.

**Scratch on A pillar touched up with pen and sloppy brush of clear coat!!

In posting this, I will readily admit that I am something of a perfectionist when it comes to vehicles, but wanted to see if anyone else has had similar paint issues. The chipped paint is simply mind blowing. I cannot imagine how anyone thought that it would be acceptable. And, given the location, I am not excited about the idea of having it repainted.

Would love to hear from others.

57C321B7-E7EF-413D-82D9-81C9230C5FBF.jpeg
If my order comes in with similar defects, I’ll will be leaving empty handed. Mass produced or not, I feel like that is something that just shouldn’t happen. Especially the interior blemishes.

JeffC57

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F-150 Lariat Sport 4x4 SCab, '18 Linc MKZ Hyb
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
My first car after graduating from college was a new Mustang and I have owned Fords ever since. All were purchased new. I probably went over the '21 F-150 more carefully than any others; except maybe that first Mustang. The truck had a few paint issues. There was a 2" scratch in the hood. That could have come from a number of offenders besides the factory but the dealership sent it over to their body shop to fix. The fix wasn't perfect but after I waxed the truck it's gone. There were a couple of other blemishes that I found (a fleck of white paint and another 1/4" scratch) that were fixed at the body shop. While waxing the truck I found a rough patch in the finish in the bed side panel above the tail light. You really can't see it; just doesn't feel smooth. Perhaps something got under the clear coat there.
No fit and finish issues inside the cab.
All in all, given the fact that my truck was built the day before the KC plant July shutdown, I think the truck came down the line pretty clean and know it's only a matter of time before that first scratch or door ding blemishes my "perfect" truck.

Sponsored

Notallthosewhowanderarelo

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Engineer
I have had a few new vehicles before (Chevy's and Subaru's) and have never had any scratches or chips. This is my first Ford, it was damaged during shipping so they hadand it had scratches all over it. I know black is a tough color, but my previous Silverado was black with no issues. However the dealer did buff everything out for me and repair the damage from shipping.

Oh and there is a small raised part on the paint too, like something got stuck on the truck and painted over.

It was tough to see the scratches but here is a video I made on it, like I said minor stuff other than the broken bumper pieces:

MikeG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
Bad paint jobs and misaligned body panels is something that everyone tells me is normal for domestic manufacturers. I've just sort of accepted it after seeing 2019 and 2020 F150's with similar issues.

SILVERBULLET69

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
YOUR GLOVE BOX LIGHT IS ON
My tint installer pointed this out. I thought it looked like somebody tried to jimmy door open since the lock is right below, but there’s no scratches in the rubber or paint scratched in the jam.

Ford F-150 Paint Issues - An Invitation to Share! C34CEB89-3A54-4243-ADF1-D350E33712C3

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
I have had a few new vehicles before (Chevy's and Subaru's) and have never had any scratches or chips. This is my first Ford, it was damaged during shipping so they hadand it had scratches all over it. I know black is a tough color, but my previous Silverado was black with no issues. However the dealer did buff everything out for me and repair the damage from shipping.

Oh and there is a small raised part on the paint too, like something got stuck on the truck and painted over.

It was tough to see the scratches but here is a video I made on it, like I said minor stuff other than the broken bumper pieces:

Checking out your videos. Good content! :)

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
I feel like I looked over mu truck pretty carefully and so far haven’t found anything of concern. As soon as the weather gets cool enough (right now lows in the 80’s and highs approaching 110) I will be detailing and applying wax and a protectant…. During that process I might spot something but for me it seems fine so far.

I did notice at one point the passenger door didn’t seem well aligned, but a firmer close solved that… it wasn’t showing ajar but I guess still had a little further it could latch. I imagine as the weatherstripping breaks in that will take care of itself.

Sponsored

Skier167

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
While prepping my truck for ceramic, I found this on the lower part of the passenger door. Nice thing is you can’t see it unless you’re down there looking for it. Also I will say while I love the smoked quartz the entire truck has orange peel. Coming from a black truck that I kept a mirror finish on it does drive me crazy but I’m not going to fix it and reduce the clear coat
Ford F-150 Paint Issues - An Invitation to Share! 37A030BE-5AC6-4A6C-A528-3E1E84E4E362

Daddonap

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch, 2016 GT350R
2021 F-150 King Ranch FX4 PowerBoost Star White, built in mid July, delivered on 04 August. Courtesy delivery, the dealer that did the delivery and PDI didn’t notice this issue on the roof.
had the truck full front Xpel and ceramic coated.
the installer noticed this issue - chipping and contamination under the paint. Passenger Side, rear.
Ford F-150 Paint Issues - An Invitation to Share! 1FCF557F-1B0D-49A9-9F7D-162D942702BF

OP
OP

Indiana2021F150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
2021 F-150 King Ranch FX4 PowerBoost Star White, built in mid July, delivered on 04 August. Courtesy delivery, the dealer that did the delivery and PDI didn’t notice this issue on the roof.
had the truck full front Xpel and ceramic coated.
the installer noticed this issue - chipping and contamination under the paint. Passenger Side, rear.
1FCF557F-1B0D-49A9-9F7D-162D942702BF.jpeg
Hard to believe that someone did not see that at the factory before it went out. Kansas City build?

OzzieSr

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Lariat Sport 502A
both of my roof rails look to be only lightly painted...looks like primer with a skim coat of paint. will put up a pic later but has anybody else looked at the paint in the valleys of their roof?

OP
OP

Indiana2021F150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
both of my roof rails look to be only lightly painted...looks like primer with a skim coat of paint. will put up a pic later but has anybody else looked at the paint in the valleys of their roof?
Same here, brother. I have agate black. Also, in addition to the chip I sent pic of above, the base of the A pillar where it meets quarter panel has **no** paint on it- you can see dark yellow base coat.
Sponsored