First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A
Occupation
.GOV
Did anyone else who is tuned get an OTA update which reset the tune back to stock? I got the Power-Up update yesterday morning and when I went for a drive in the afternoon, my OZ tune was gone and it's been reverted back to stock. Anyone else in the same boat?
Sponsored

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 5.0 4x4 Ex Cab Antimatter Blue
OTA 23-PU1009-SS-NS is a PCM update and it will wipe any tune that was previously loaded on the truck. Many people on the forum have intentionally stopped this update from installing forcing it to fail. As many of the tuner companies do not yet have tunes available to work with the new PCM software.

OP
OP
NH_Leadfoot

NH_Leadfoot

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A
Occupation
.GOV
I just emailed the guys over @ OZ Tuning to see if I can reload my tune or if the PCM revision will conflict with it.

Sponsored

SALEEN961

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A
Occupation
Automotive Technician
I recently received 23-PU1009-SS-NS which updated my PCM and it overwrote my custom tune. The interesting thing is that it didn't seem to completely overwrite the custom tune file, certain changes were obviously still in place while others had reverted back to stock. What's more interesting is that I never received a notification on my Sync screen, and I had to check the Ford Pass app to verify what happened.

I'm not bothered by this at all, but I have to wonder how Ford is identifying Roush, Whipple, or Ford Performance supercharged F150s. Imagine taking your supercharged F150 on a road trip and having the PCM revert back to a stock file when you stop for gas or get to your hotel.

OP
OP
NH_Leadfoot

NH_Leadfoot

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A
Occupation
.GOV
No kidding!

First off, I noticed the shifts were much different than I'm accustomed to. Then I heard the cylinder deactivation kick in which I haven't heard for the last year since I installed the tune. Then I threw it in sport mode just to be absolutely sure the tune was gone, and it was a night and day difference vs what the tuned version of sport mode does.

I recently received 23-PU1009-SS-NS which updated my PCM and it overwrote my custom tune. The interesting thing is that it didn't seem to completely overwrite the custom tune file, certain changes were obviously still in place while others had reverted back to stock. What's more interesting is that I never received a notification on my Sync screen, and I had to check the Ford Pass app to verify what happened.

I'm not bothered by this at all, but I have to wonder how Ford is identifying Roush, Whipple, or Ford Performance supercharged F150s. Imagine taking your supercharged F150 on a road trip and having the PCM revert back to a stock file when you stop for gas or get to your hotel.

BrookSyrnyk

First Name
Brook
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lariat 5.0
Occupation
Pipeliner
Yup my tune is also erased with the new OTA update. Noticed my cylinder deactivation kick on and shifting like factory settings. Plugged my SCT into the OBD and I see that the ECU strategy has changed. Very frustrating. I see on the sct website it is $200 usd to have it unlocked. I’m tuned by Oz and was told I have to get SCT to unlock my device then re fill out the tune form and get a new tune built for my new ECU strategy. Just hoping I don’t have to dish out $200 to have it unlocked. Not to happy about this.

Flash69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Platinum on order
I did updates via FDRS, it upgraded my PCM tune and wiped my OZ tune. I didn’t catch it because I had been updating my truck for over 2 hours and it was late. The next day I noticed the tune was back to factory.

I hooked up my SCT tuner and flashed the truck back to the stock tune stored in the SCT. I then re-installed my OZ tune. Everything worked perfectly however now I’m curious if the SCT stored stock tune changed something related to the Ford PCM update. I’ve not needed FDRS again so I am not sure if my truck is showing it needs that update again.

sbacpo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Platinum
Yup my tune is also erased with the new OTA update. Noticed my cylinder deactivation kick on and shifting like factory settings. Plugged my SCT into the OBD and I see that the ECU strategy has changed. Very frustrating. I see on the sct website it is $200 usd to have it unlocked. I’m tuned by Oz and was told I have to get SCT to unlock my device then re fill out the tune form and get a new tune built for my new ECU strategy. Just hoping I don’t have to dish out $200 to have it unlocked. Not to happy about this.
Is that what Oz said to do? I haven't heard back from them.

Sponsored

BrookSyrnyk

First Name
Brook
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Pipeliner
Is that what Oz said to do? I haven't heard back from them.
Yes, Ken told me I have to contact SCT and get them to unlock my device before we can move ahead with anything else. Then Oz will have to build me a whole new tune since my ECU strategy has now changed with the update. I looked on the SCT website and it’s $200 USD to unlock your device. Really hope I’m not gonna have to dish out that much money. Still waiting to hear back from SCT. I wasn’t told that a OTA update could erase my tune, otherwise I would have it shut off. Ken also said do not try and put your truck back to stock and re load the Oz Tune that got erased. Good chance you’ll brick your ECM.

tjarvis22

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
SOON to be 2022 platinum 3.5 BAP
Occupation
Firefighter
I don’t have a tune on my truck, but it downloaded the 23-PU1009-SS-NS update last night and now it has a HARD shift from reverse to drive. And it did not do it before the update.

EL5_Zero

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'24 F150 RCSB Antimatter Blue
Occupation
Ironworker
If the truck is working properly, why accept an OTA update? If and when my '24 shows up, the first thing I will do is SHUT-OFF ALL Sync updates and avoid potential issues with erratic programming. I can already sense a class action lawsuit if these update issues continue.

BrookSyrnyk

First Name
Brook
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Pipeliner
If the truck is working properly, why accept an OTA update? If and when my '24 shows up, the first thing I will do is SHUT-OFF ALL Sync updates and avoid potential issues with erratic programming. I can already sense a class action lawsuit if these update issues continue.
I’ve never experienced a bad update. With the amount of electronics these trucks have I’d prefer to leave OTA updates on so any glitches could get fixed. I’ve felt with my 23 lariat each update made the sync system better. Only reason we’re having the issue with our tune being erased is because this update included a pcm update. I guess a guy in my position will just have to keep the OTA updates shut off and confirm that they won’t update the pcm if I decide to move forward with said update.

OP
OP
NH_Leadfoot

NH_Leadfoot

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A
Occupation
.GOV
I'll probably disable the OTA updates after this issue gets resolved. I got the OTA about a month ago that killed my B&O radio. However Ford pushed out a fix for the radio issue a few days ago which fixed the problem they created. This PCM update that wiped my tune came a day or two before the DSP update for the radio.

Like someone mentioned in another thread, who's responsible when the truck is out of warranty, but an OTA creates a problem vs improves anything?
Sponsored