Livernois 5.0 tune review

OP
OP
BladeSilver976
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 STX 5.0, 2013 Corvette GS, 2020 Jetta S
I'm not sure what's going on. I requested a new tune with just Cylinder Deactivation disabled. They say it takes 2 to 3 days to respond, but it has been a couple of weeks, maybe they're busy.

What you describe is one symptom I have, it jumps forward in 1 - 4. The other is the hard bump after it shifts into 4th gear above 3K RPM.

I have reset the KAM/KAM Adaptive, let it "learn" for a while, but it's the same.

Livernois is telling me they have no other complaints of what I'm reporting.

I've had a few 10 speed transmission issues since the introduction, including swapping out solenoid bodies. I'm wondering if there are differences in the transmissions where the tune works on some and the tune needs some tweaks for others.
My truck sits in the garage, sometimes for weeks on end. Its not my daily so it took me a while to put some miles on it after resetting everything. After about 1000 miles the trans started to really smooth out. I hope it all works out for you.
Sponsored

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
If you got mechanical issues with your transmission you can't expect them or the tune to correct it. If they don't have other complaints and they don't have a baseline to work on you really
No mechanical issues and I don’t expect miracles. The factory tune is fine. I just wanted cylinder deactivation disabled. I get that the tow/eco tune “enhances” the shifting, but the lunging forward in 1-4 gear snaps your head back and hard “second 4th gear shift” just doesn’t seem right. Maybe the tuning exaggerates an underlying “mechanical” issue 😉

Spiffy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 platinum powerboost
Occupation
Retired
Very well could. I'm hesitant to get the tune until I completely understand what it does.
Does it interact with the EV battery and its mapping?
Also I have yet to see 0 to 60 runs.
Also I hadn't heard much from powerboost owners.

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
Very well could. I'm hesitant to get the tune until I completely understand what it does.
Does it interact with the EV battery and its mapping?
Also I have yet to see 0 to 60 runs.
Also I hadn't heard much from powerboost owners.
I haven't seen any feedback on the PB, can they tune it yet? Honestly, for the most part, the tow/eco tune is nice. I don't miss the cylinder deactivation (CD) at all, MPG has not changed one bit for me; still 17 mixed and 19/20 on trips. That's all I was after.

I have a feeling they can't, won't or don't know how to make a tune with just CD disabled. I followed the protocol for tune requests and haven't heard anything. They must be busy...

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
Livernois responded and it seems they combined my tune request with the support ticket I opened. They want me to try a softer shifting Performance and Tow tune they have.

I installed the Tow Softer Shifting tune and I reset the KAM and Adaptive KAM after the install. I have been running it for ~100 miles now and it's definitely softer. The 1-4 shift lurching is not nearly as aggressive in normal driving now. The bang a second or two after shifting into 4th gear is gone, but you do hear the engine sound change and you still feel it. They said the second shift in 4th gear (as I call it) is torque converter lockup; at least it doesn't bang now.

We'll see..... I was really only after the CD disable and I have that without excessive side effects :) At least this tune feels more like a normal DD than the original Tow tune IMO.

Sponsored

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
Sad to say we couldn’t get the shift issues resolved. The doggone forward lurch/surge/thrust after each 1-4 shift was too aggressive for me. They did explain the TC lockup was for efficiency reasons. I'm not sure what to make of that.

Livernois provided me a factory tune with CD disabled. It’s nice 🙂 Can't say enough about their support.

Last edited:

MJG44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Black Pack -22 Expedition Stealth - 03 HD
Too bad it didn't work out for you to begin with.
I can't say anything negative about the tune so far. I have to get the Dragy results soon just hadn't found the time.

OP
OP
BladeSilver976
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I ended up recently switching to a less aggressive performance tune with factory line pressure. This is by far the best shifting I've had since tuning the truck with the 1-4 gear changes.

JoeSTi

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150 3.5EB
I ended up recently switching to a less aggressive performance tune with factory line pressure. This is by far the best shifting I've had since tuning the truck with the 1-4 gear changes.
Is it still a livernois tune? I want to tune my 2.7 just to make it not target such a low rpm all the time. cruising at 50-60mph its always in 9th/10th gear and like 1100-1200 rpms. If i use sport mode its targeting like 2400rpm at 50mph. I'm hoping a tune would give me a nice middle ground between them. Any idea if it would?

OP
OP
BladeSilver976
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Is it still a livernois tune? I want to tune my 2.7 just to make it not target such a low rpm all the time. cruising at 50-60mph its always in 9th/10th gear and like 1100-1200 rpms. If i use sport mode its targeting like 2400rpm at 50mph. I'm hoping a tune would give me a nice middle ground between them. Any idea if it would?
Yes its still a Livernois tune and they have been great to work with. You can certainly work with them on what you would like to see out of a tune and shift strategies.

Sponsored

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
…with factory line pressure.
I didn’t know they could do that. That makes sense. I thought they needed the line pressure increases for other things in the tune or to protect the transmission from the other things in the tune.

It's not that I didn't like their tune, just the way it shifted is all.

They're going to hate me...

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I didn’t know they could do that. That makes sense. I thought they needed the line pressure increases for other things in the tune or to protect the transmission from the other things in the tune.

It's not that I didn't like their tune, just the way it shifted is all.

They're going to hate me...
Absolutely the main reason, perhaps the only reason I will tune this truck.
The granular control available for the 10r80 can transform the truck. So much of the REAL experience behind the wheel is the shifting, but we are so focused on the dyno numbers and/or elapsed time, that we are distracted? :)

And I think we all know that there's a considerable amount of variances between one 10r80 and another. The multiple solenoids that control which orifices in the valve body should be open/closed, the rate they open/close, and the pressure applied to the 6 clutches........... it's all managed by the pcm at very low voltage signal-values. All of it "tunable"!

I'll be happy, if/when I step up to the plate, to pay extra for the effort to dial my 10r80 in my personal preference.

TheGoatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 powerboost
I’m not sure what’s going on for the 5.0 side of things but my wife would never never realize a tune was added to my Powerboost. The change in shifting firmness is barely noticeable.

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
So much of the REAL experience behind the wheel is the shifting, but we are so focused on the dyno numbers and/or elapsed time, that we are distracted?
Totally agree. Many tuned 5.0 owners tell me they don't notice a change in the shifting or at least not the symptoms I describe. Even Livernois said they have 'x' number of tuned 5.0s with no reports of my experience.

The change in shifting firmness is barely noticeable.
The latest tune I have is the factory settings with CD disabled. Night and day difference in transmission shifting; shifts are barely noticeable again.

I sent Livernois an email requesting a tow/eco tune with factory line pressures. They have been great, but I won't be surprised if they don't reply due to all my questions and asks to date....

Ryangenereux

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f-150 XLT crew cab sport
Occupation
USAF
I just purchased a livernois programmer for my 5.0 2023. I have the shifting with this 10 speed. I am hoping they can help with smother shifting.
Sponsored