Sponsored

Oil Analysis

sbacpo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Platinum
I keep mine well past your numbers. I spent a career operating, maintaining, and repairing nuclear subs to include a tour as Chief Engineer of one. Lubricating oil analysis was a routine part of the life of machinery, that's how we get them out to the lifetimes the Navy does. My Suburban went 30 years on Mobil One and then AmsOil. In my accounting it is cheaper to take sample than to do oil changes. I let the sample results tell me when to change the lubricants. Interestingly I changed out axles and transfer case oils and the front axle OEM fill just looked unsat, so I'm glad I did that. An example: Last summer I did a speed run of 1,000 miles a day over a four day period. On completing it I did a sample and the oil was still in good condition. In my case the developing sample results seem to tell me that Boron additive and TBN are the drivers of engine oil condition. I'm investigating whether to add specific elements to the engine oil when predicted depletion occurs. We'll see. I expect those additives to be much less costly than a full up oil change. So thinking about it.
I spent a couple decades on active duty, most of it onboard submarines. I never served with anyone who had the title Chief Engineer. What exactly did you do onboard subs?

As for the topic at hand, it's like everything else with our trucks, it's just a matter of personal preference. You may not see the need to do X, Y or Z but what exactly is the point of criticizing those that do? Especially when your opinion wasn't requested.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
I spent a couple decades on active duty, most of it onboard submarines. I never served with anyone who had the title Chief Engineer. What exactly did you do onboard subs?

As for the topic at hand, it's like everything else with our trucks, it's just a matter of personal preference. You may not see the need to do X, Y or Z but what exactly is the point of criticizing those that do? Especially when your opinion wasn't requested.
Div O, Dept Hd (aka chief engineer), XO, & CO. & oh yeah... Prototype LEOOW, Tender CO.........

Last edited:

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Not for personal use, but 2 jobs/companies ago, we used TestOil for lubricating oil analysis. I think it was $30/sample, but we were doing ~30 samples a month. They're under Eurofins now, but when I used them turn around was fairly quick, usually within 2-3 days after delivery depending on when it was delivered.

You could always call the local CAT dealer or other heavy equipment company and ask them where they send samples for testing. They may even have the capability locally.

OP
OP

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Not for personal use, but 2 jobs/companies ago, we used TestOil for lubricating oil analysis. I think it was $30/sample, but we were doing ~30 samples a month. They're under Eurofins now, but when I used them turn around was fairly quick, usually within 2-3 days after delivery depending on when it was delivered.

You could always call the local CAT dealer or other heavy equipment company and ask them where they send samples for testing. They may even have the capability locally.
Hey... Many, many thanks... you're the first person to actually respond to my original question... For some reason Blackstone has just become way, way backed up.

Hog_Johnson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum
John Deere has an Oilscan program I used when i worked there. Your local dealer should have the kits in stock. I don't know how it is now, but turn around time was quick a couple years ago.

Ford F-150 Oil Analysis Screenshot_20231228_232231_Chrome

Sponsored

Dale B

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150(on order), SL500, S430, Boxster, 930, CJ5
Occupation
Retired
Here's a link to Blackstone's own document to help understand what their report tells you :
https://www.blackstone-labs.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Understanding-Engine-combined.pdf

Oil analysis can show you things such as coolant leaks happening that's getting into the engine, can clue you that your piston rings are wearing out earlier than expected, if too much water is leaking into the engine, cranks/bearings getting worn out (more than normal lead content), etc. There's a lot of experts online to help you read (Reddit and Bobistheoilguy.com or even these very forums). Also, doing a reading once or twice a year and tracking trends are really where these readings shine.
Thanks for the link. I will study.

I understand. You notice coolant level dropping so you look for external leaks, then check the dipstick. If it looks like chocolate pudding, you know where the coolant went. If it is a very small leak, you do an oil analysis to see if the oil contains a small amount.
If the analysis tells you have more of certain metals you know there is wear on moving parts. If you are in engine development or preparing for a 500-mile race, you tear the engine down and start checking bearings and rings. If you are a normal consumer like me, you just drive it until it becomes a problem, or decide that maybe you should be using full synthetic oil.

I will look into interpreting the data. I am sure that it contains a lot of good information and maybe it will tell me where that small leak is coming from or how to slow the wear on bearing surfaces without having to tear my engine down. I don't mean to ruffle feathers or get anyone's dander up. I just thought that it might start a conversation on how people use the results from oil analysis and enlighten me as to the cost benefit.

Severdog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT Sport PB SuperCrew 6.5' 7.2Kw
Occupation
Trader
I sent a sample in last spring and it took 3 months for the USPS to deliver it. It sat in their Indianapolis office for about 11 weeks of that time. I think my next sample I'll just pay the money to have it sent on my nickel. Once Blackstone actually received the sample, it was done in a couple of days.

OP
OP

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
I sent a sample in last spring and it took 3 months for the USPS to deliver it. It sat in their Indianapolis office for about 11 weeks of that time. I think my next sample I'll just pay the money to have it sent on my nickel. Once Blackstone actually received the sample, it was done in a couple of days.
I have had the USPS completely lose a sample a couple of years ago. Then recently I paid for 2nd Day delivery and it stalled somewhere. After getting my Post Mistress into it they found it... But at the end of the day my issue with Blackstone is how long samples sit around until they get around to doing the analysis. I've had a sample take a month after delivery to them. Bottom line is if they cannot get the analyses done in time to make a decision on your next lubricant change, all you're doing is recording history.

Last edited:

gb7FRz26

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SuperCrew Short Bed, 2010 Prius
Was fun to see the ex-mil guys in here arguing and I thought:
Ford F-150 Oil Analysis PMCS

Anyway, to be absolutely sure, and if money is no object:
- Obtain steel 55gal drum, add 1" ball valve at the bottom.
- Add heater bands and insulation around the drum, thermostat control at 180F.
- Dieselcraft or similar centrifuge on the 2" bung, oil pump and motor to run it.
- Fill drum halfway with Mobil 1 or your favorite blend of herbs, spices, and hydrocarbons.
- Obtain pneumatic oil extractor and like.. four of those 6 quart dispensing jugs that make oil changes easier.
- Once a week spend 5 minutes sucking out the oil through your dipstick tube from all your ICE motors. Your truck, spouse's vehicle, lawnmower, generator, whatever. Dump all that dirty oil into the drum through a wide funnel on the 3/4" bung. Immediately refill them with the clean oil from dispensing jugs.
- Once a month turn on the centrifuge setup for 8-12 hours and let it de-carbonize, de-water and clean the oil, then refill your jugs (you remembered to add a ball valve and tap on the high pressure centrifuge feed side piping right?)
- Top off drum back to halfway whenever it needs it because there will be some loss over time.

If you've just got one vehicle, you can mount a centrifuge on it and let the truck do the work. Dieselcraft told me the OC-25 would be the model for my 3.5 EB but would need to find a spot to mount it about the size of a roll of toilet paper.
Engines love hot clean oil.

wz00r2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
I ran into issues with Blackstone and now use Test Oil. They are an actual ISO accredited Labotory and have great customer service.

TestOil | Oil Analysis

Here is a snippet of my samples.
Ford F-150 Oil Analysis 1704384505345

Sponsored

Dale B

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
These cylinders have cast iron liners. As to the filings, I installed a 1µ bypass filter to go after that. Boron is an additive, so its there to improve the oil & lubricity. As to temperature issues, its true the turbos run hot when boosting, however, unlike Aircraft engines, they rarely run continuously. I see that as an intermittent things with cooldown time. I let the analysis tell me when its time to change. In my mind the condition of the oil is like any other component, you change it when the condition of the oil says to. As I've noted, it appears that Boron & TBN are the elements of oil that deplete and it seems to occur around 12,000 miles.
I believe that you are incorrect about the cast iron sleeves. I don’t believe that the 3.5 or the 5.0 have cast iron sleeves. The blocks are aluminum and the cylinders are silicon impregnated not sleeved. I believe it is the same process that Mercedes has used for decades.

OP
OP

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
I believe that you are incorrect about the cast iron sleeves. I don’t believe that the 3.5 or the 5.0 have cast iron sleeves. The blocks are aluminum and the cylinders are silicon impregnated not sleeved. I believe it is the same process that Mercedes has used for decades.
GM tried that years ago... in the Chevy Vega... it crumped, those engines died an early death. Look it up these are sleeved.

Dale B

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
GM tried that years ago... in the Chevy Vega... it crumped, those engines died an early death. Look it up these are sleeved.
Check again, the aluminum cylinder walls are sprayed with a thermal coating the
Check again, Ford calls their process PTWA and is a sprayed on coating..

OP
OP

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Check again, the aluminum cylinder walls are sprayed with a thermal coating the

Check again, Ford calls their process PTWA and is a sprayed on coating..
Show me their documentation. I have seen other stuff, I'll go look for it... In the meantime showme.
Sponsored