First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
So, I changed my oil about a week and a half ago, and pulled an oil sample for analysis as I was draining it. I just got my results back today and since I can't find any other results from anyone, I decided to post mine. Oil had just under 9,900 miles on it, and engine was just over 20k miles total. I am using Kirkland 5w-30 SN+ oil and a Motorcraft filter.

Roughly 25% of my total miles as full electric, which I assume is leading to the fuel dilution being above what Blackstone would like to see. From what I can find, Ecoboost engines are already predisposed at fuel dilution problems, and having the hybrid system probably only makes it worse. Cold weather also probably isn't helping.

The only thing that I'm probably going to do different right now is order one of the sample pumps from Blackstone and get a sample around 25k miles (5k on the oil) just to see what it is like.

Ford F-150 PowerBoost UOA Kirkland 5W-30 @ 9,900 mi -- Blackstone Oil Analysis Report Screenshot
Sponsored

RcFlyer330

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Limited Powerboost
Well here is the report from my '22 powerboost. Its Interesting on the fuel % my last report was also high with approx 5k miles on the oil (8k on engine) makes me wonder if the cold is affecting the fuel %. viscosity on mine was also a little low on both reports I had done. I have read that turbo engines like to shear the oil so that may also be contributing to a lower viscosity.

The first sample at ~2k was the factory fill oil.

Ford F-150 PowerBoost UOA Kirkland 5W-30 @ 9,900 mi -- Blackstone Oil Analysis Report blackstonereport

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5
Occupation
Retired Electrician
This is why I change my oil every 8000 KM or 5000 Miles. Cheap insurance as far as I am concerned. I use Ford oil filter and semi synthetic.

PatchManager

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew
Occupation
Firmware Engineer
Thank you both for posting these oil analysis reports. I think it is interesting to see, and I will likely have one done at my second oil change.

If your fuel dilution is 2.3%, you are going to have to look very carefully on the dip stick to see 1/64" change. I would assume an optimal running engine is going to probably use that much oil over an oil change interval. It is also interesting that both reports show exactly the same oil dilution even though one report was almost 10,000 and the other was almost 6,000. At the same time, both engines are still nearly brand new, so it will be interesting to see future reports.

Sponsored

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
As to how many miles on the oil... I also have Blackstone measure the ash content. An oil has the ability to hold ash (wear products) in suspension. So long as that holding ability is not "filled up" then the oil can lubricate just fine. The next issue is are the additive packages and TBN satisfactory. So, the mileage on your oil can be as long or short as the chemistry allows. Blackstone Labs is now recommending 12,000 miles on my next change.

Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Thanks for posting. What I can’t understand is why the gasoline does not volatilize and get removed by the PCV system. Obviously gas is continually being added so maybe this is a steady state condition?

TheGoatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 powerboost
These things should have a much larger capacity. It’s crazy to me considering tow capacity and overall power.

I have a sample at black stone right now. I will post up as well.

these miles listed are odometer miles, not engine running miles, right?

OP
OP
imnuts

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
these miles listed are odometer miles, not engine running miles, right?
Yes, this is based on odometer miles. Engine running miles was ~7,500.

Both times I've changed my oil, the oil life monitor had about 25% on it as it follows engine running miles, not odometer miles.

I think if one drives more highway, or has a lower percentage of electric only mileage, they would probably have less fuel dilution than my sample. I just rarely make highway trips in my truck.

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Interesting fact. Old radial aircraft prior to shutdown would engage a switch that diluted the oil header tank with gasoline to thin the first oil into the engine on the next start as they ran straight heavy weights. The gas would then burn off during flight.

How do these numbers compare to an auto start/stop ecoboost? I bet had i tested my first oil change it would have been quite high on the fuel as my 1 mile drives were quite bad on the engine. I think I spent more gas idling to warm it up than I did actually driving it. Felt bad doing it to the truck so I got an EV to use for the short trips keeping the trucker for longer / hauling. Poor thing has had 3 miles put on it in 6 weeks. My other truck gets like 5 miles every 3 months.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Well here is the report from my '22 powerboost. Its Interesting on the fuel % my last report was also high with approx 5k miles on the oil (8k on engine) makes me wonder if the cold is affecting the fuel %. viscosity on mine was also a little low on both reports I had done. I have read that turbo engines like to shear the oil so that may also be contributing to a lower viscosity.

The first sample at ~2k was the factory fill oil.

blackstonereport.jpg
You can certainly tell that first factory fill. It's actually typical, but the elevated silicone and copper are the telltale signs of a brand new motor.
And you can see the drastic drop on both with the second drain.

Fuel dilution on the 3.5 Ecoboost is tough to battle if you aren't getting 30 minutes or more of engine running at full operating temps. The dilution is pretty much inevitable, but would be greatly reduced if it had a chance to "burn off", so to speak.

I have a 45 minute commute one way and it makes a big difference regarding. Admittedly I'm a much shorter oil change interval kind of guy though too.

OP
OP
imnuts

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Right now, I'm halfway into my drive before I'm at full operating temp, in the warmer months, the truck is there after 5-10 min. I think the biggest issue is even though it gets up to operating temp, the engine is still cycling on/off as I'm not traveling highway miles.

What I've read on fuel dilution is that there doesn't seem to be a consensus on where it starts causing a problem. It can cause wear though from thinning out the oil, but that doesn't seem to be the case for me, at least in this sample. When I grab a sample in ~5k mi, I'll try to do so after a long highway stint and see if there's any difference.