• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Home Back-Up and 80A EVSE Missing at Launch

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
I think it would be a huge mistep for Ford to roll without the Backup power capability at launch. That has been a core theme of their advertising pitch. That would be a major screw up. I just can't imagine them doing that on an f150 lauch..their pinnacle vehicle
I completely agree and expect it be all worked out before deliveries start but I am concerned about how much specific detail will be available when the first ordering window closes...

Sunrun currently doesn't do business in Minnesota where I live or in many other states... I'm very curious how this is going to work and it impacts my decision between the Pro SR and XLT XR.
Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
I completely agree and expect it be all worked out before deliveries start but I am concerned about how much specific detail will be available when the first ordering window closes...

Sunrun currently doesn't do business in Minnesota where I live or in many other states... I'm very curious how this is going to work and it impacts my decision between the Pro SR and XLT XR.
I hope it's compatible with many different systems instead of just one company.

For those that have a Tesla power wall and solar panels, it's important that Ford allows connection to other systems.

rob_c28

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Explorer, 2021 F-150 Lighting Reservatio
Can anyone point me in the direction on what is needed to be done in order to have home backup power setup and can it only be installed by SunRun?

corradoborg

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Tacoma S-Runner; F-150 Lightning order
Occupation
Corporate Physical Security Manager
Can anyone point me in the direction on what is needed to be done in order to have home backup power setup and can it only be installed by SunRun?
No. Nobody knows yet. Hence all the speculation in this thread.

Erik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW, Fiat
The set up should be similar to any AC connected home battery. You need an inverter from AC to DC to store the energy and an inverter to convert it back to AC. That is what Ford would provide I think.

You also need wiring for 240v 100a from your panel to the charger, an automatic transfer switch, and maybe a sub panel if you only want to power the critical load.

Depending on you current service and panel, you may have to upgrade your main panel to support an additional 100a circuit.

None of that should be proprietary to Sunrun. However, as with home batteries, each company seems to only support a limited number of batteries. Sunrun is one of the few companies that be can install this in all 50 states and that is not owned by another EV company. That is probably why Ford made a deal with Sunrun.

[edit] One thing that may be proprietary is the scheduling and monitoring software. With home batteries like the Tesla Powerwall and Enphase that is included in the battery or inverter. Ford could include that in the 80a charger, but they could also rely on a Sunrun to manage that in the transfer switch.

Last edited:

Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
The set up should be similar to any AC connected home battery. You need an inverter from AC to DC to store the energy and an inverter to convert it back to AC. That is what Ford would provide I think.

You also need wiring for 240v 100a from your panel to the charger, an automatic transfer switch, and maybe a sub panel if you only want to power the critical load.

Depending on you current service and panel, you may have to upgrade your main panel to support an additional 100a circuit.

None of that should be proprietary to Sunrun. However, as with home batteries, each company seems to only support a limited number of batteries. Sunrun is one of the few companies that be can install this in all 50 states and that is not owned by another EV company. That is probably why Ford made a deal with Sunrun.

[edit] One thing that may be proprietary is the scheduling and monitoring software. With home batteries like the Tesla Powerwall and Enphase that is included in the battery or inverter. Ford could include that in the 80a charger, but they could also rely on a Sunrun to manage that in the transfer switch.
Based on your experience, what would your best guess / approximate costs be for integration on a house that has nothing except for 240V ?

If it's too pricey, I may just opt for the standard 32A/48A charger and use HD extension cords for powering up the house stuff...

Erik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW, Fiat
Based on your experience, what would your best guess / approximate costs be for integration on a house that has nothing except for 240V ?

If it's too pricey, I may just opt for the standard 32A/48A charger and use HD extension cords for powering up the house stuff...
I got several quotes for home batteries last month in San Francisco. All were around $16k including the battery which is usually about $8k. Since you would already have the battery, you would only need the $8k for other hardware and installation and most of that is labor.

If you combine a home battery with solar you can get a 26% tax rebate. It may be possible to claim that credit for the Ford integration as well.

OP
OP

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
I got several quotes for home batteries last month in San Francisco. All were around $16k including the battery which is usually about $8k. Since you would already have the battery, you would only need the $8k for other hardware and installation and most of that is labor.

If you combine a home battery with solar you can get a 26% tax rebate. It may be possible to claim that credit for the Ford integration as well.
Careful with tax credit thoughts if the vehicle isn't charged with solar alone.

However, this speaks to the potential battery value of the vehicle. Your $8k battery price was for what, 13.5kWh? If the truck ends up with 135kWh...

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager

Good God, I hope the "integration kit" isn't $8k, that seems crazy! So many people would opt out and it would look very bad for Ford.

Erik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW, Fiat
Careful with tax credit thoughts if the vehicle isn't charged with solar alone.

However, this speaks to the potential battery value of the vehicle. Your $8k battery price was for what, 13.5kWh? If the truck ends up with 135kWh...
Yes, the batteries ranged from 10kWh to 14kWh. Even though the retail price for the home batteries is about $8k, the battery cells themselves are less than $100/kWh. Most of the $8k is the design, inverter, software, and packaging.

Sponsored

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
Are you guessing or do you have some expert knowledge of the subject that makes you state this?
Wow...did not mean to sound this harsh last night! What I really mean is I don't know what domains you play in, so I was wondering if this was within your domain or not.

Erik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW, Fiat
Good God, I hope the "integration kit" isn't $8k, that seems crazy! So many people would opt out and it would look very bad for Ford.
This is in San Francisco though. Demand for home improvement projects is crazy here.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
If the Vehicle to Grid components are the same as the F150 Hybrid, don't see any issues since the Hybrids were powering a lot of homes in the big TX freeze last Winter.

All you need is a manual transfer switch rigged up going to a plug that goes to the F150. If you want to add a battery back up system on top of the truck battery, a battery bank and an inverter would be needed with the truck then charging the batteries to run the home.

Lots of mfgs of all those components, most should be in stock. If you current component supplier installer has not discussed the options with you, you might want to get quotes from companies with more experience.

OP
OP

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
If the Vehicle to Grid components are the same as the F150 Hybrid, don't see any issues since the Hybrids were powering a lot of homes in the big TX freeze last Winter.
The Lightning can theoretically be a more useful tool than the hybrid. In addition to being able to be operated from inside a closed garage, bidirectional power flow at the charge port would suggest an ability to extend runtime with interactive solar and truck battery system forming a local microgrid.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
The Lightning can theoretically be a more useful tool than the hybrid.
It has a much bigger battery but I think the OP's issue was a home battery backup system from Sun Run. You would not need SunRun's system to create a battery backup system. If SunRun has delivery or other issues, he should get quotes from other installers.
Sponsored