First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 and 2022 F150
Occupation
Engineering
I regapped my plugs in my 21 about a year ago and it is a early build 21 3.5 due to knock which it solved it right away. I regapped my plugs on my 22 a 9-27-22 build for my tune and assumed they where going to be the same spark plug but I was wrong. Out of all my ecoboost the 22 is the first i have seen using a compressible flat washer.

It had me thinking maybe all 6 washer fell off in my 21 but that was not the case. Has anyone seen this before, can anyone educate me of why they went this direction?

I attached a pic of the 3 out of my right bank. I want to use the colder Ford GT plugs like back in the day which ran better with a tune but not sure if it is possible now.

Thanks.

Ford F-150 21 spark plugs versus 22 spark plugs thumbnail
Sponsored

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
I regapped my plugs in my 21 about a year ago and it is a early build 21 3.5 due to knock which it solved it right away. I regapped my plugs on my 22 a 9-27-22 build for my tune and assumed they where going to be the same spark plug but I was wrong. Out of all my ecoboost the 22 is the first i have seen using a compressible flat washer.

It had me thinking maybe all 6 washer fell off in my 21 but that was not the case. Has anyone seen this before, can anyone educate me of why they went this direction?

I attached a pic of the 3 out of my right bank. I want to use the colder Ford GT plugs like back in the day which ran better with a tune but not sure if it is possible now.

Thanks.

thumbnail.jpg
So Ford changed from a taper seat to a gasket seat. Wonder why? Your gaskets can't fall off, but they can be unscrewed so you can put fresh ones on. You can get a colder plug in any make.

diambo4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Screw 4x4
Occupation
Assassin
Why would you regap them? That's not going to fix your knock issues. If you have knock (and it's actually knock,) it's an octane problem. Run higher octane fuel. Keeping the same heat range plug and making the plug smaller is not it.

XLT22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a XLT
Yes they changed the design. I don’t see any notes as to why so feel free to speculate. Maybe they broke all the tapered end mills. Who knows.

Which tuner is telling you to re-gap plugs on a stock Gen 2+ engine with a tune? The tune needs to fix the fuel knock instead of trading one set of problems for another.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
Indeed, when I look at my 2022 Owner's Manual the spec plug for the 3.5EB is Motorcraft SP-596

Looking at the first edition (of 3 editions available online) 2021 Owner's manual the spec plug for that engine is SP-578

One might find when that change occurred by reviewing the different Owner's manuals posted on the Ford Owner website for F150's with different manufacturing date-ranges.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mortonsk9s

Mortonsk9s

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 and 2022 F150
Occupation
Engineering
I should have not used the word knock, I am talking about timing advanced and retarding timing. Even on a stock tune with low octane you can see the that the timing with stay advanced longer with a tighter gap before it pulls timing due to knock. Besides the risk of spark flame blowout which does happen on factory gapped plugs when tuned. Fords range .028-.032 leaves a bit to be desired when plugs with 1k measure with variable gap sizes. 4 out of 6 plugs had different gap widths.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Reducing the oem gap on a tuned 3.5 Ecoboost is common practice.
That combustion chamber is a violent environment for that spark at high boost! Lol
Most folks rarely ever see 15-20 lbs of boost combined with the 2500psi of gasoline pressure washer directed right at that poor plug. But it's a common daily experience for those crazy Ecoboost hooligans!

OP
OP
Mortonsk9s

Mortonsk9s

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 and 2022 F150
Occupation
Engineering
What gap are u going for now?
I usually gap .026 and that gives me alot more miles before regap is needed. I gapped these to .027 and if I need too make it tighter I will. I have already noticed longer timing advanced under moderate load. .030 to .032 from the factory risk flame out under extended heavy acceleration. I had cylinder 6 flame out the other day which is why I regapped. But the truck was moving quick until then. I knew I should of regapped before the tune but I was lazy. changed the oil and regapped.
Down near sea level the cylinder pressure gets high and with that extra fuel being dumped It can flood the cylinders.

TheGoatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 powerboost
Reducing the oem gap on a tuned 3.5 Ecoboost is common practice.
That combustion chamber is a violent environment for that spark at high boost! Lol
Most folks rarely ever see 15-20 lbs of boost combined with the 2500psi of gasoline pressure washer directed right at that poor plug. But it's a common daily experience for those crazy Ecoboost hooligans!
Is it trading idle quality for more reliable iginition at high load?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mortonsk9s

Mortonsk9s

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 and 2022 F150
Occupation
Engineering
Is it trading idle quality for more reliable iginition at high load?
|Idle quality is excellent, if not better at least in my experience with all my ecoboost- MY16 2.7, MY18 2.7, MY18 3.5, MY21 3.5 and now my MY22 3.5. On my 2.7's had the original plugs when I traded them around 150K. 3.5 are tougher on plugs and need regapped if electrode is good but last one hit 100K with the Cold GT plugs before I traded got my 21. All but my 21 idled great but MY 21 has that rough idle problem alot have that Ford says is normal, "its not" but it smoothed it a little the door does not shake now.

Tuffram1996

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Tremor

Thanks.

thumbnail.jpg
My 2021 build date 11/21 3.5L ecoboost Tremor has the same copper gasket plugs. I just swapped them out for a fresh set of tighter gapped plugs as well. When I look up the plugs for a 2021 it still shows the tapered seat plug and not the gasket plug.
Sponsored