• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

80A circuit question

diesel97

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
electrical
Yeah no suicide cord here, and it's a manual transfer switch already. Properly wired to code. Thanks I was overlooking the 30A, that will meet my needs nicely.
In the trade, we call it a "widowmaker" not a good thing
Sponsored

OP
OP

Pilot2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Don't see why you couldn't use a hookup like that. It wouldn't be through the back-up power function though (that requires a likely expensive inverter) and would be through using the 30A locking receptacle in the bed of the truck which requires you to manually connect the wire and limits it to 7.2kW max.
With the generator hookup on the house, make sure it is a male plug on the wall as a double male extension cord is extremely dangerous and goes against every electrical code. Said plug should also be through a manual transfer switch that cuts power from the main breaker as well (manually turning off the main breaker is against electrical code, though many people do it). Without the manual transfer switch, you are risking the lives of any linesman that could be working on the line should you forget to turn off the main breaker.
Is an interlock considered a manual transfer switch? I assume yes as they are code approved.

regarding 30A inlet, I see reliance pb30 at orange box store to be pretty common here

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Is an interlock considered a manual transfer switch?
It is equivalent except it will not switch your neutral conductor which can work for some generator setups (no neutral ground bond) but appears to be problematic with Ford as the power supply.

OP
OP

Pilot2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
It is equivalent except it will not switch your neutral conductor which can work for some generator setups (no neutral ground bond) but appears to be problematic with Ford as the power supply.
Makes sense.
I am planning to keep gen backup separate from Ford backup in case truck is not at home or not fully charged to supply the backup.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
"Sorry fam, I'm going to the bar, you aren't gonna have power for a while!"

:)

Sponsored
OP
OP

Pilot2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
To be honest, the whole "back-up power" is really over rated unless you live where the power is always going out for extended periods. If it is only for short or rare long periods, it wouldn't be worth the extra cost (likely at least $10k to install by the time you get hardware and labour). Would be just as easy to grab an extension cord and plug in anything critical for the longer outages and save a ton of money doing it that way.

Manual transfer switches also suck as you have to pay attention to houses around you for when the power comes back if you switch the entire house over.

I raise a lot of quails and run a lot of incubators / heat lamps. I have no plan of installing their system and will just bring the truck over and plug-in what i need to keep running - especially since I lose power maybe once or twice a year for only an hour or two.

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
I was just looking over the specs here at:
https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North America/US/product/2022/f-150-lightning/pdf/F-150_Lightning_Tech_Specs.pdf

the input/output on the standard battery is 11.3/10.5 kwH which is well within 48A charger. What is the benefit of 80A circuit for folks who are not planning to get standard battery?

edit: looks like backup power is only available with 80A charger....
The only thing you get is the "home Back-up power" (bi -directional power) as you don't gain any time on the charging speed as seen on their chart which shows the same charging time for both chargers.

ZDog

First Name
Jac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70
Occupation
Retired

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Very curious about this as well in reverse. Curious if the F150 could power through a standard generator hookup for a portable generator which my house already has.
Theoretically yes. I have seen one attempting using the Powerboost hybrid and the truck kept showing grounding errors and would not work. However, that may have been an issue with the person's wiring in the home. Look at information on it for the current truck because the pro power plugs will be the same.

Sponsored

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
To be honest, the whole "back-up power" is really over rated unless you live where the power is always going out for extended periods. If it is only for short or rare long periods, it wouldn't be worth the extra cost (likely at least $10k to install by the time you get hardware and labour). Would be just as easy to grab an extension cord and plug in anything critical for the longer outages and save a ton of money doing it that way.

Manual transfer switches also suck as you have to pay attention to houses around you for when the power comes back if you switch the entire house over.

I raise a lot of quails and run a lot of incubators / heat lamps. I have no plan of installing their system and will just bring the truck over and plug-in what i need to keep running - especially since I lose power maybe once or twice a year for only an hour or two.
If the whole home back-up route (connection via vehicle charge port) allows for the vehicle to microgrid with solar and the bed outlets don't, it is a much more compelling route for electric resiliency. I'm talking about new normal type contingency, not an hour outage once or twice a year. Most won't plan for this, but electricity is almost as important as food these days so I want it accessible and rechargeable with any fuel available in an extended grid outage.

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
Yep, I already shared that the V2G push is very active. It's based off the charge port. It will be unrelated to the brand of EV. Since the charge port is universal, V2G will also be universal. Will the V2G two way charger be reasonable to purchase? Who knows.

Here is one link to get you started...there is a lot of activity for V2G, V2B, and V2H

V2G future

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
We don't know what if any tax issue would be in the new plan. It could be that some of this has a rebate or credit. Some exists now but not for long.

Personally I'm going to wait before I install any change to load center. Too many variables.

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer

Is there anyplace that doesn't lose power for extended periods? Last winter most of Texas lost power for several days during extreme cold weather. Several people died in their homes because they lost power.

Security has value. Even a few hours of lost power can disrupt your life. I also have to admit that being able to power the house during a power outage has been one of the biggest selling points for getting my wife to allow me to buy the F150L.

Regardless of your opinion, V2G appears to be the future. It looks like all the auto manufacturers are working on V2G technology. I also expect building codes to start requiring residential electrical systems to have built in V2G capabilities.

HtownHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Kia Stinger GT2, 2018 BMW 540i M-Sport
Is there anyplace that doesn't lose power for extended periods? Last winter most of Texas lost power for several days during extreme cold weather. Several people died in their homes because they lost power.

Security has value. Even a few hours of lost power can disrupt your life. I also have to admit that being able to power the house during a power outage has been one of the biggest selling points for getting my wife to allow me to buy the F150L.

Regardless of your opinion, V2G appears to be the future. It looks like all the auto manufacturers are working on V2G technology. I also expect building codes to start requiring residential electrical systems to have built in V2G capabilities.

We have a portable backup generator since we are near Houston and power outages related to storms (or freezes now) are common place. I am looking forward to the backup option from the Lightning for temporary power restoration (under 2 hours) before I have to drag the generator out and hook everything up.

For some reason every time a squirrel farts our master planned community power grid goes down so just having backup power here and there would be fantastic.
Sponsored