• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

80A circuit question

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
Manual transfer switches also suck as you have to pay attention to houses around you for when the power comes back if you switch the entire house over.
I'm not sure this will be the case. Ford Pass allows you to control a lot feature on vehicles and perhaps it or another app can be used to control the transfer switch. You could use the app to turn the power over to the F150L battery when the power goes out and turn to normal power once the power comes back on.

The app could even tell you when normal power returns. I have no way of knowing right now if there will be an app to control the F150L transfer switch but I would be pretty surprised if there isn't some smart features built into it. I think that many people, including the engineers at the auto manufacturers, are have the same thoughts about V2G EVs and transfer switches.
Sponsored

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
You are describing an automatic transfer switch in response to a comment about a manual transfer switch

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
You are describing an automatic transfer switch in response to a comment about a manual transfer switch
An automatic transfer switch automatically switches from normal power to backup power when normal power is lost. What I was talking about is a manual transfer switch with remote operation.

BTW, the Ford website states that the F150L 80A EVSE transfer switch can operate in either manual or automatic mode.

Last edited:

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
So is the 80 amp charger itself an automatic transfer switch that will need to be installed between the meter and panel? Seems like the only way this can work to me...

Sponsored

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
So is the 80 amp charger itself an automatic transfer switch that will need to be installed between the meter and panel? Seems like the only way this can work to me...
I agree but we won’t know for sure until we get installation instructions on transfer switch/EVSE system.

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
An automatic transfer switch automatically switches from normal power to backup power when normal power is lost. What I was talking about is a manual transfer switch with remote operation.
Yes, I've been designing, selling and installing them since the late 80's. My experience exceeds 5000 projects from 50 amps to 4000 amp transfer systems. I have never heard of a remote controlled manual transfer switch. Care to share a link?

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Yes, I've been designing, selling and installing them since the late 80's. My experience exceeds 5000 projects from 50 amps to 4000 amp transfer systems. I have never heard of a remote controlled manual transfer switch. Care to share a link?
Google Smart Transfer Switch

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm most familiar with Generac products. Their switch will shed loads and provide remote monitoring. I see a Westing house smart switch but it doesn't act as a whole house switch. Both of them are automatic transfer switches.

I'm at a dead end. Care to post a link of the one you are looking at?

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
From what Ford states you need more than the charger. The entire installation of an ABT and charger will not be cheap. It may not be needed for the majority of people. One of the suggestions is to use battery as a powerwall or generac battery source. Running the risk that your truck will deplete to some point beyond what you need.

Everyone laughed when I bought a portable generator. Sure it wasn't really needed where I live but I used it last winter finally.

I wouldn't consider installing the Ford as a generator unless locally the power/weather could be an extensive issue. I'd just use the bed/frunk outlets to keep fridge going or such.

Sponsored

gwrace14651

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Ford Excursion 4x4 PSD
Is there anyplace that doesn't lose power for extended periods? Last winter most of Texas lost power for several days during extreme cold weather. Several people died in their homes because they lost power.

Security has value. Even a few hours of lost power can disrupt your life. I also have to admit that being able to power the house during a power outage has been one of the biggest selling points for getting my wife to allow me to buy the F150L.

Regardless of your opinion, V2G appears to be the future. It looks like all the auto manufacturers are working on V2G technology. I also expect building codes to start requiring residential electrical systems to have built in V2G capabilities.
I've lived in south central Texas since 1985. Last year was the first time we had a record breaking snow fall and extremely cold weather. It was literally a 30 year event. We were fortunate in that we did not loose power but many did. I literally just pulled out the generator and made sure it was running properly. But had we needed it I would have just plugged in a few cords to critical appliances. I guess we will just have to wait and see what Fords cost is for connecting to a home as a power backup source. We run as much as we can on natural gas as it's cheaper here than electricity.

personalt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma / Cayenne
Is there anyplace that doesn't lose power for extended periods? Last winter most of Texas lost power for several days during extreme cold weather. Several people died in their homes because they lost power.
In my life in NJ I lost power at my house for maybe 2 days total in the 30 years that I would be old enough to remember. That being sad - my furnace has its main power is run through a junction box so I can unplug it and hook up to generator or truck power. I think for most folks the power and a long extension goes a long way to safety.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
My understanding of the system is that one could allow it to run in an automatic mode as in backup generator type use.

The other way is to use the trucks battery like a powerwall and hence the manual mode use.

MikePinkston

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'97 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired

Security has value. Even a few hours of lost power can disrupt your life. I also have to admit that being able to power the house during a power outage has been one of the biggest selling points for getting my wife to allow me to buy the F150L.

Regardless of your opinion, V2G appears to be the future. It looks like all the auto manufacturers are working on V2G technology. I also expect building codes to start requiring residential electrical systems to have built in V2G capabilities.
We live on the New Madrid fault. I pay earthquake insurance for the house and I feel like a long term power outage plan is prudent as infrastructure and fuel availability makes a generator a little iffy. We are getting solar panels soon and an electric vehicle makes sense when there is no public infrastructure available. Maybe it will never happen in my lifetime but that's why you buy insurance.
There are some (Musk is one) that believe solar panels on every roof is the ultimate answer. If the grid was built for it, it makes perfect sense to me. Of course lithium batteries in every home and every vehicle poses it's own issues.
Sponsored