• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

80A circuit question

Pilot2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I was planning to install a 50A circuit to install standby generator in cases of power failure. With ford's 80A circuit potentially being able to power the house, I am thinking of just using one circuit that can power the house either from the truck or the generator.

Typically, a generator feeds a breaker that has to be turned on with an interlock kit. How does the backfeed of Ford's 80A circuit work? Is it going into some automated transfer switch which will automatically switch to the 80A for power if utility cuts out?

Since exact date of truck is TBD, should I just run the 80A circuit to connect with the generator for now (it might be an overkill)...
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I was planning to install a 50A circuit to install standby generator in cases of power failure. With ford's 80A circuit potentially being able to power the house, I am thinking of just using one circuit that can power the house either from the truck or the generator.

Typically, a generator feeds a breaker that has to be turned on with an interlock kit. How does the backfeed of Ford's 80A circuit work? Is it going into some automated transfer switch which will automatically switch to the 80A for power if utility cuts out?

Since exact date of truck is TBD, should I just run the 80A circuit to connect with the generator for now (it might be an overkill)...
We haven't gotten any details on how the whole home power backup will work. We know you need the 80A EVSE from Ford (which is a 100A circuit), as well as some other equipment - definitely a transfer switch and potentially an inverter as well.

I am in a similar situation in that I need to get an EVSE installed now as my wife has a Mach-e or order with a build date in late October. My plan is to run a 100A circuit to the location for now and just install a lower power unit as a placeholder until I get my Lightning. Some rework will be needed, but at least the wiring run won't have to be redone.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Keep in mind that if you ever expect the truck discharge into the the utility grid for time of use savings or demand charge savings on your electric bill, the utility will probably require the circuit go through a exterior disconnect switch they can access and visually verify the position of. This will not be a truck feature day 1 but they are talking about it for the future. Also hard to plan for, but you might consider when routing the 100A circuit.

OP
OP

Pilot2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Thanks. I think for now I will ask electrician to run a 100A circuit to the garage and will hook up the generator to it. Will make changes when/if Lightning gets delivered...

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
Good plan. You can always feed 50 amps thru 100 amp wires but you can't feed 100 amps thru 50 amp wires.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Pilot2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
By the way, are EV chargers universal like regular battery chargers or are there any main differences that one needs to consider?

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
By the way, are EV chargers universal like regular battery chargers or are there any main differences that one needs to consider?
Most are the same, except how much power they deliver and whether they are "smart" or not. If you're going to have multiple EVs, you may look into ones that can share the circuit.

OP
OP

Pilot2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Most are the same, except how much power they deliver and whether they are "smart" or not. If you're going to have multiple EVs, you may look into ones that can share the circuit.
Good call. I can see that being the norm in many homes. After the latest run-up in stock and real estate markets, some homes in our neighborhood have competed switched over to the EVs. Too many look alike cars :)

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Since my wife is getting an EV as well (Mach-e), I considered a dual EVSE but I don't want to give up the home power backup from the Lightning. I just made sure we will both have enough range to charge every other day comfortably so we can trade.

Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Since details on the Ford 80A charger & home circuit connection is up in the air, and the wait times for the special installer may take awhile, I currently use a L2 (240V 20A) J1772 EVSE charger for my Honda Clarity, does anyone know how long the charge time will take for the standard range F150 Lightning ??

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Since details on the Ford 80A charger & home circuit connection is up in the air, and the wait times for the special installer may take awhile, I currently use a L2 (240V 20A) J1772 EVSE charger for my Honda Clarity, does anyone know how long the charge time will take for the standard range F150 Lightning ??
Since Ford said that it's 32A mobile charger will give you 14 mile per hour of charging, my guess is that 20A charger will give about 9 miles per hour.

pstansel

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER, Hyundai EV6
Occupation
Engineer
Very curious about this as well in reverse. Curious if the F150 could power through a standard generator hookup for a portable generator which my house already has.

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
Very curious about this as well in reverse. Curious if the F150 could power through a standard generator hookup for a portable generator which my house already has.
Don't see why you couldn't use a hookup like that. It wouldn't be through the back-up power function though (that requires a likely expensive inverter) and would be through using the 30A locking receptacle in the bed of the truck which requires you to manually connect the wire and limits it to 7.2kW max.
With the generator hookup on the house, make sure it is a male plug on the wall as a double male extension cord is extremely dangerous and goes against every electrical code. Said plug should also be through a manual transfer switch that cuts power from the main breaker as well (manually turning off the main breaker is against electrical code, though many people do it). Without the manual transfer switch, you are risking the lives of any linesman that could be working on the line should you forget to turn off the main breaker.

pstansel

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER, Hyundai EV6
Occupation
Engineer
Don't see why you couldn't use a hookup like that. It wouldn't be through the back-up power function though (that requires a likely expensive inverter) and would be through using the 30A locking receptacle in the bed of the truck which requires you to manually connect the wire and limits it to 7.2kW max.
With the generator hookup on the house, make sure it is a male plug on the wall as a double male extension cord is extremely dangerous and goes against every electrical code. Said plug should also be through a manual transfer switch that cuts power from the main breaker as well (manually turning off the main breaker is against electrical code, though many people do it).
Yeah no suicide cord here, and it's a manual transfer switch already. Properly wired to code. Thanks I was overlooking the 30A, that will meet my needs nicely.
Sponsored