Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Platinum

Waveslider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SCREW Lariat 4WD
I like the Recons and was going to run them in the 295 SL but DT isn’t able to get them currently. Went with load E Ridge Grapps instead.

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
I just swapped my 305/55R20 General ATx for Nitto RG SL (116Q) night and day difference in handling, acceleration, not as harsh, turning, just feels nimble again.

My $0.02, I'm guilty.... owners get stuck on load range; more is better, not necessarily. These tires are rated at 2756@44PSI and if I'm not mistaken that's what the rear axle can carry (2 x 2756). Unless you need the side wall for better sway control or extreme terrain I don't see the point of an LT tire. Another critique is you can't go on dirt/gravel/sandy/mountain roads with SL tires - oh brother :rolleyes:

When I learned I'm not sacrificing any payload capacity or towing 5000 lbs, I was sold.

Sidwall81

First Name
Sidney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 STX
Occupation
Offshore Oil and Gas Operator
Did anybody lose any MPG going to the 275/65r20 Recons?

nomarhits400

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Poweboost
Occupation
Analytical Chemist
Did anybody lose any MPG going to the 275/65r20 Recons?

3.5 Powerboost here- and not too much- around 0.5-1.0 mpg after speedometer recalibration.

Sponsored

cdeberg7

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Platinum
Occupation
Engineer
That is correct. Here’s some before and after pics

81D32F26-FA30-4FB2-94C0-475345EA2897.jpeg

8893E066-6D11-4419-AE26-49BBDFF339AA.jpeg
Gas mileage take a hit even though its only <10 pounds difference per tire? I am about to order the same tires you have just 116T because theyre lighter and i rarely tow. Let me know. Curious what your powerboost gets with those BC my PB arrives in a month.

NotMyName

First Name
John Doe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco First Edition, 2022 F150 Platinum
Gas mileage take a hit even though its only <10 pounds difference per tire? I am about to order the same tires you have just 116T because theyre lighter and i rarely tow. Let me know. Curious what your powerboost gets with those BC my PB arrives in a month.
Hi Cole,
I literally drove the truck from the dealer to Discount Tire the day it arrived, so I really don’t have an idea of the difference between stock and these tires. Currently I’m at around 13,500 miles and my last tank showed 24.5 mpg on the dash. Once I multiplied the 3.3% for the larger tires and hand calculated I was at about 25.5 mpg for the tank of fuel. I live in Dallas so temps right now are ideal for great fuel economy….in addition, I drive easy, never in a hurry and keep it under 65 for my daily commute.

My tires are the 116T. I’ve had the heavier tires in the past and learned my lesson. Unsprung weight is a killer to power and mpg.

One thing I noticed after about 5,000 miles is that there is a slight rub with these larger tires. I would love to level the front end; however, I ordered my truck with the CCD suspension and scales. Still a bit concerned about problems that could occur from the level.

cdeberg7

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Platinum
Occupation
Engineer
Hi Cole,
I literally drove the truck from the dealer to Discount Tire the day it arrived, so I really don’t have an idea of the difference between stock and these tires. Currently I’m at around 13,500 miles and my last tank showed 24.5 mpg on the dash. Once I multiplied the 3.3% for the larger tires and hand calculated I was at about 25.5 mpg for the tank of fuel. I live in Dallas so temps right now are ideal for great fuel economy….in addition, I drive easy, never in a hurry and keep it under 65 for my daily commute.

My tires are the 116T. I’ve had the heavier tires in the past and learned my lesson. Unsprung weight is a killer to power and mpg.

One thing I noticed after about 5,000 miles is that there is a slight rub with these larger tires. I would love to level the front end; however, I ordered my truck with the CCD suspension and scales. Still a bit concerned about problems that could occur from the level.
Awesome! Thank you. Love the look of your truck and i plan on mine (hopefully) looking the same. Do you love your powerboost? Not any issues and pretty reliable? Im up in nebraska and teetered between a PB and a 5.0 so i wouldnt have many issues.

rpold150

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Platinum
Currently I’m at around 13,500 miles and my last tank showed 24.5 mpg on the dash. Once I multiplied the 3.3% for the larger tires and hand calculated I was at about 25.5 mpg for the tank of fuel. I live in Dallas so temps right now are ideal for great fuel economy….in addition, I drive easy, never in a hurry and keep it under 65 for my daily commute.
Powerboost? If so, how many miles were electric? I don't get anywhere near that number with my 3.5EB. On the highway, I believe your 3.5PB and my 3.5EB are pretty much the same with no electric. About the only way I'm getting 21+ is if I reset the mileage while already on the highway, and no going up any minor hills. I have the 275/65/20 SL/116T. Other than PB v EB, the only other difference is I have a level kit. I've got 3300 miles.

NotMyName

First Name
John Doe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost? If so, how many miles were electric? I don't get anywhere near that number with my 3.5EB. On the highway, I believe your 3.5PB and my 3.5EB are pretty much the same with no electric. About the only way I'm getting 21+ is if I reset the mileage while already on the highway, and no going up any minor hills. I have the 275/65/20 SL/116T. Other than PB v EB, the only other difference is I have a level kit. I've got 3300 miles.
Yes, powerboost. I had a 2017 3.5EB Platinum FX4 with the 10 spd tranny before this 2022. I sold it with almost 70k miles. For the life of the truck I was at 19.7mpg on trip 1 (I never reset trip 1). Again, not hand calculated but generally within .5 mpg of hand calculation. It was leveled with Bilstein adjustable shocks and hand 1 size larger tire over factory - Nitto Ridge Grapplers 4ply 275/60/20.
I do get better mpg with the powerboost on the highway. No idea why or how. Not sure if the batteries offer a bit of help while the gas engine is operating. Again, don’t know why. The powerboost is even heavier. Both had bedrug and tonneau covers.
Again, I drive pretty easy. Tow on occasion. Always always always use premium fuel. It makes a noticeable difference on MPG and power. Yes I drive easy and the little I apply to the go go pedal and response thereof is still noticeable. In the end, filling up a Costco and the better fuel mileage is pretty much a wash so why not use the good go go juice.
Pics are of the 2017 and 2022

Ford F-150 Nitto Recon Grapplers in 275/65/20 SL? IMG_0423

Ford F-150 Nitto Recon Grapplers in 275/65/20 SL? IMG_0818

Sponsored

NotMyName

First Name
John Doe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Awesome! Thank you. Love the look of your truck and i plan on mine (hopefully) looking the same. Do you love your powerboost? Not any issues and pretty reliable? Im up in nebraska and teetered between a PB and a 5.0 so i wouldnt have many issues.
Thank you. Yes, I love the powerboost. Currently has almost 14k miles and mileage has been improving since new. On thing that caught me off guard was driving in the panhandle of Texas during winter. Cold (30 degrees) and windy AF. Mileage was 18 at best going 60. Totally shocked me! And as you are aware, the panhandle is as flat as Nebraska. Wind resistance seems to be a killer on mileage with the powerboost.

if There was anything I’d change, it would probably be the CCD/scales and FX4 instead so that leveling would be no problem. I much prefer the leveled look as pictured above on my 2017.

rpold150

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Platinum
Yes, powerboost. I had a 2017 3.5EB Platinum FX4 with the 10 spd tranny before this 2022. I sold it with almost 70k miles. For the life of the truck I was at 19.7mpg on trip 1 (I never reset trip 1). Again, not hand calculated but generally within .5 mpg of hand calculation. It was leveled with Bilstein adjustable shocks and hand 1 size larger tire over factory - Nitto Ridge Grapplers 4ply 275/60/20.
That's great mileage on your 2017 also. I haven't reset my Trip2 and am around 16.0. I've only got about 3200 on it now, so I'm really hoping that it improves by 5000 miles like some people have said. I'm probably 30% highway and 70% west Houston suburban roads. In hindsight, I think my driving habits make the PB a much better choice since I believe it would do a lot of the suburb driving with electric.

And yes, Costco 93 octane is usually what I use.

cdeberg7

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Platinum
Occupation
Engineer
Thank you. Yes, I love the powerboost. Currently has almost 14k miles and mileage has been improving since new. On thing that caught me off guard was driving in the panhandle of Texas during winter. Cold (30 degrees) and windy AF. Mileage was 18 at best going 60. Totally shocked me! And as you are aware, the panhandle is as flat as Nebraska. Wind resistance seems to be a killer on mileage with the powerboost.

if There was anything I’d change, it would probably be the CCD/scales and FX4 instead so that leveling would be no problem. I much prefer the leveled look as pictured above on my 2017.
Great to hear, thank you! I did not opt for the Fx4 package and wish i did. I plan on leveling it, swapping tires and finding some take off BAP black wheels and that will be it. Nebraska is even colder in the winter and im hoping i can keep it above 17ish when its cold. I dont have a heavy foot so hoping all will be ok. Wind is not our friend here in flat ass Nebraska. ha.

FJay150

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 3.5 EB
anyone who got 275/65/r 20 SL Recons, what tire pressure are you running?