Nitto Recon Grapplers in 275/65/20 SL?

NsHoopman

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23F150
Not the OP- but I have the same set-up (tire wise).. Here are a few pics. I also have a "23 BAP. Mileage, as you noted, is not significantly effected- maybe 0.5-1.0 mpg. I'm getting 21-23 depending on my highway mix:

Megatron_home_back right.jpg

Megatron_home_back.jpg

Megatron_home_left front.jpg

My Rapid Red 2022 F150 BAP_front right.jpeg

My Rapid Red 2022 F150 BAP_side.jpeg
I love this truck, it is my exact Twin :)
Sponsored

nomarhits400

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Poweboost
Occupation
Analytical Chemist
Lol. Seems like it is becoming more popular!

TxAgs2012

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Platinum
Occupation
I answer emails all day.
Other than this parking lot, and a few more snaps of it sagging in the rear when I loaded up with 40 bags of mulch, I need to take some more pictures. :)

I put the tires on within 25 miles of owning, so I don't know a before MPG. My trip2 hasn't been reset and it's on 16.0mpg. That's probably 70% short trips (couple miles here or there) in stop and go, and 30% highway 10-12 miles at a time. I had one trip to College Station and reset trip1 coming back. Had a good tailwind and got about 22 mpg over 100 miles. By the time I finished the tank of gas (26 gal), I was back down to 18. I'm hoping it gets better as it breaks in because this is a bit disappointing. I've got 3200 miles so far. These are pretty light tires and 1" taller than stock. I don't think it hurt mileage much compared to stock. Disclaimer, I haven't updated the tire size in forscan yet, so the 16.0 is probably closer to 16.5 mpg.

Here are a few more at the same location.

20221112_135951.jpg
20221112_135940.jpg
20221112_140045.jpg

Stock before readylift 2" level and 275/65/20 Nitto Recon Grappler

20221024_150354.jpg

edit: and with the flag decal 🇺🇸
20230607_174213.jpg
Nice truck man! Might have to get me a set of those.

Also, Gig ‘em! 😉👍 (Class of ’12 here)

rpold150

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Platinum
Nice truck man! Might have to get me a set of those.

Also, Gig ‘em! 😉👍 (Class of ’12 here)
Thanks! I love the truck! It's my first truck, other than a work truck during my college days for a summer job. I've got a few years on you, '86. My daughter is '19 and my son just graduated Dec '22. So, Gig 'em! (y)

I only have about 3900 miles on the truck, so I can't give any long term reviews on the tires. They are quiet and have a nice ride. I have them aired up to 40psi so I feel bumps a little more. I haven't done a chalk test or checked tread depth, yet, but I'm trying to get the best mpg. I don't think the tires are the problem as they are very light weight. I'm sure they cost a small drop in mpg, but all my trips are very short, 2-10 miles at a time or maybe a rare trip downtown Houston for 30 miles round trip, so I know that's the biggest impact on my mileage. We still have my '06 BMW 330 with 200K miles that we drive everywhere and get great gas mileage.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Anyone tried the Recons in 275.60.20 (factory size)? They're an XL tire (a little more stout than SL, but not as heavy as LTs)

Sponsored

nomarhits400

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Poweboost
Occupation
Analytical Chemist
Just to note there isn’t a single complaint of these tires in this 7 page thread.

Additionally, when I ordered these at Discount Tire I asked them about these tires and they said they haven’t had any issues.

There are certainly plenty of great options in this size and price point- and I don’t think I’ve seen any complaints about those either; just wanted to add that also applies to this set-up.

nomarhits400

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Poweboost
Occupation
Analytical Chemist
You don’t say? I don’t think there’s anyone in this thread that bought an SL rated tire for its off road capability- but if they did- I bet you’re right- they will be disappointed.

m_bt54

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost Hybrid
Occupation
IT Director
Mine have been great for the first 5k miles. Very happy with my decision, which isn’t a surprise as I used all of the positive feedback here when deciding.

rpold150

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Platinum
A couple people have said "dealers said the Recon Grappler sucks and have for many years." This was said as early as late 2021 when the Recon Grapplers were only introduced the summer of 2021. I don't know if there was a previous Recon Grappler or they were talking about a different Nitto tire, but the dealers saying this were talking about a different tire.

I spent a total of 1 minute, but didn't find a Tire Rack test report on the tire, but I easily could have missed it.

The Recons have only been out for 2 years now, so we're probably just now getting to hear about any long term reviews. As said previously, I wouldn't have purchased the tire in the SL flavor if I was going to do any significant off-road. I'm in Houston so unfortunately, mine is a pavement princess and will see very little off road, but feel pretty confident if I need it in sand, fields, or mud during a flood or something, and they look better than the stock Hankooks.

nomarhits400

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Poweboost
Occupation
Analytical Chemist
A couple people have said "dealers said the Recon Grappler sucks and have for many years." This was said as early as late 2021 when the Recon Grapplers were only introduced the summer of 2021. I don't know if there was a previous Recon Grappler or they were talking about a different Nitto tire, but the dealers saying this were talking about a different tire.

I spent a total of 1 minute, but didn't find a Tire Rack test report on the tire, but I easily could have missed it.

The Recons have only been out for 2 years now, so we're probably just now getting to hear about any long term reviews. As said previously, I wouldn't have purchased the tire in the SL flavor if I was going to do any significant off-road. I'm in Houston so unfortunately, mine is a pavement princess and will see very little off road, but feel pretty confident if I need it in sand, fields, or mud during a flood or something, and they look better than the stock Hankooks.

Exactly.
Sponsored