Sponsored

Max Tow Axle Bolt - Preventive measure?

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
This problem is only with the max payload package where the trucks have a different 9.75-inch 3/4-floating rear axle.

The bolts are shearing as they were either over torqued on the assembly line or they were not properly hardened by the bolt manufacturer. If the bolts are defective then replacing them with bolts from Ford is not likely to be a solution. Only if they were over torqued by the factory would replacing them before they fail would be worthwhile.

Either way it is an accident waiting to happen and Ford has decided not to issue a TSB much less a recall of the trucks.

The trucks are definitely not safe for towing when a rear wheel can fall off with no warning and result in a jackknife with the resulting injury and possible deaths of the driver and passengers.
Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
This problem is only with the max payload package where the trucks have a different 9.75-inch 3/4-floating rear axle.

The bolts are shearing as they were either over torqued on the assembly line or they were not properly hardened by the bolt manufacturer. If the bolts are defective then replacing them with bolts from Ford is not likely to be a solution. Only if they were over torqued by the factory would replacing them before they fail would be worthwhile.

Either way it is an accident waiting to happen and Ford has decided not to issue a TSB much less a recall of the trucks.

The trucks are definitely not safe for towing when a rear wheel can fall off with no warning and result in a jackknife with the resulting injury and possible deaths of the driver and passengers.
The rear end won't fall off in the event of the bolt shearing off. The brake assembly prevent the shafts from sliding out of the housing.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
My theory is the failures are with axles on the edge whatever allowable axle tolerances were spec'd and most won't ever have an issue. There have to be thousands of them on the road and in reality just a handful (thinking less than 1%)have failed. I have max tow with about 16,000 miles now.

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Multiple reports of owners losing a wheel while driving down the road and not from the lug bolts failing. Not difficult to find these reports online if you have a few minutes.

100% of the failures have been with the new 3/4 floating axle provided with the Max Tow package. No issues with other F-150 trucks without the new axle (which is not used with the F-250 trucks).

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
Multiple reports of owners losing a wheel while driving down the road and not from the lug bolts failing. Not difficult to find these reports online if you have a few minutes.
How about you kindly post a link to one or more of these reports?

Sponsored

Hog_Johnson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum

100% of the failures have been with the new 3/4 floating axle provided with the Max Tow package. No issues with other F-150 trucks without the new axle (which is not used with the F-250 trucks).
A Google search came up with a few Super Duties and Raptors being recalled for wheel hardware related issues. Neither have the 3/4 floating axle.

Ford F-150 Max Tow Axle Bolt - Preventive measure? of-all-the-a296bbda59

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
You guys are getting like me carrying spare hoses, starters, fuel and water pumps in the back trunk of my old jalopy :p
That's why we tow a second PB behind our primary PB. Why just carry bolts, hoses, or other parts. Just have a whole spare truck ready to go on demand. Just keep it simple.

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
That's why we tow a second PB behind our primary PB. Why just carry bolts, hoses, or other parts. Just have a whole spare truck ready to go on demand. Just keep it simple.
WE TOW BECAUSE WE CAN!!!!

Question is - can you Hotwire the battery packs together…..

hornsan1

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tremor 402a
Thought I would add my experience here.
I have a 21 KR PB with Max Tow. Starting in August I noticed a squeaking noise from my right rear but couldn’t find anything upon inspection. Had some warranty work that needed to be done(whining motor for power step) so I took the truck in and told them it was concerning.
They had to have a local company extract the bolt as it had begun to fail. 5 days in the shop and right as rain.
Fast forward a month and it’s making the exact same noise and right back with the dealer. I basically never tow the truck and it’s my daily driver. I just crossed over 16k miles.

Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
Following this and other forum threads on this topic I can't help but be struck by the continuing substantial predominance of PB's suffering this problem. While not exclusive to PB's, they certainly predominate in forum reports of bolt failure.

I've asked before but ask myself again: What is different about PB compared to non-PB trucks with Max Tow package which might relate to this issue?

Still, the answer I come up with is Regenerative Braking. All trucks are subject to 'reverse loading' of the axle but with the PB I still strongly suspect that's a much more frequent and more aggressive occurrence. IMO that might aggravate the situation if the splined interface between the axle-shaft and wheel hub is not very tight tolerance (allowing the shaft to fret back-and-forth relative to the hub when loading is reversed).

Admittedly just more speculation, but I struggle to avoid a degree of fixation about this notion. :unsure:

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I've asked before but ask myself again: What is different about PB compared to non-PB trucks with Max Tow package which might relate to this issue?
There are a number of non PB with Max Tow that have had the bolts snap. It's not a PB issue but a Max Tow 3/4 floating axle issue.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
There are a number of non PB with Max Tow that have had the bolts snap. It's not a PB issue but a Max Tow 3/4 floating axle issue.
Please note I said that PB's predominate, I never suggested that bolt failure is exclusive to PB's. It's a well-established given that the problem is isolated to the 3/4-float axle unique to the Max Tow package which can be had on PB, 5.0, and 3.5EB drivetrains.

No one (other than Ford) knows the raw numbers of Max Tow packages on each drivetrain, but the numbers on each of them is likely significant, yet the PB predominates among reports of failures it seems.

On this non-scientific tabulation 70% of the failures reporting engine are PB. I think you'll find that's fairly representative of forum reports overall. I just find that interesting and IMO likely not random.

Last edited:

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Please note I said that PB's predominate, I never suggested that bolt failure is exclusive to PB's. It's a well-established given that the problem is isolated to the 3/4-float axle unique to the Max Tow package which can be had on PB, 5.0, and 3.5EB drivetrains..
Very true.

Likely a due to a larger concentration of PB's having Max Tow than not is a factor I bet.
Sponsored