• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lightning Build & Price for Canada?

Lui

First Name
lui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150 lightning
Yeah my dealer said May to possible schedule and VIN. They checked but nothing so far. Ontario
Sponsored

Lavaorange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Miata, Lightning Lariat
New 1.7B announced for EV rebates in Canada, to be detailed in federal budget in April.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/polit...j6SMsqrUUGh6h3Ew6qL6G3gb0Y1yEnnJfkLa8BDabfzr8
Hoping this applies to Lightning.
Fingers crossed but IMHO it's doubtful they will raise the pricing thresholds enough for the Lightening's MSRP to qualify. Current max base price is $45K and max trim price is $55K for 5 seats or less. It's conceivable they raise it enough for base XLT to qualify at $68K but I doubt very much they'll raise the max price anywhere close to the next cheapest model at $80K. Hope I'm wrong.

From CRA website:

Before including a car on the list of eligible vehicles, Transport Canada has reviewed an application from the automaker and has found that the vehicle meets the iZEV Program requirements. Namely, that the vehicle is:

• a vehicle with six seats or less, where the base model Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) is less than $45,000; and
    • higher priced versions of these vehicles, up to a maximum MSRP of $55,000, will also be eligible for purchase incentives;
or

• a vehicle with seven or more seats, where the base model Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) is less than $55,000; and
    • higher priced versions of these vehicles, up to a maximum MSRP of $60,000, will also be eligible for purchase incentives.

OP
OP

speedy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline, Toyota Highlander, Mazda miata
There’s been talk of raising the thresholds higher, and maybe making a new category for trucks.

i use my vehicle mainly for business, and you can write off 100% of the business depreciation in one year for an EV. This is only on the first $55k plus taxes of the purchase price, but can be applied to any vehicle even if it costs more than that.

I’m keen to save money on my own purchase, but at the same time I’m not crazy about taxpayer dollars subsidizing high end vehicle purchases for early adopters who generally have more discretionary income, and who don’t really need the help.

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
The threshold will need to be raised if he wants business to replace their truck/van fleets.

Justin doesn’t seem to mind spending millions ?

Sponsored

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
There’s been talk of raising the thresholds higher, and maybe making a new category for trucks.

i use my vehicle mainly for business, and you can write off 100% of the business depreciation in one year for an EV. This is only on the first $55k plus taxes of the purchase price, but can be applied to any vehicle even if it costs more than that.

I’m keen to save money on my own purchase, but at the same time I’m not crazy about taxpayer dollars subsidizing high end vehicle purchases for early adopters who generally have more discretionary income, and who don’t really need the help.
This is what gets me. Taxpayers are not subsidizing the high end vehicles - there is more tax paid on it than we would get back. For example, the Lariat ER 511A is $100k MSRP. That translates to $18k in tax, so how are taxpayers covering it? It just means we pay a little less in tax and it doesn't really cost the government anything.
Farm equipment for example doesn't have any tax on it, no matter how expensive it is ( we bought $130k worth for the tractor and equipment to do hay, and paid $0 in tax for it.

OP
OP

speedy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline, Toyota Highlander, Mazda miata
This is what gets me. Taxpayers are not subsidizing the high end vehicles - there is more tax paid on it than we would get back. For example, the Lariat ER 511A is $100k MSRP. That translates to $18k in tax, so how are taxpayers covering it? It just means we pay a little less in tax and it doesn't really cost the government anything.
Farm equipment for example doesn't have any tax on it, no matter how expensive it is ( we bought $130k worth for the tractor and equipment to do hay, and paid $0 in tax for it.
I get your point, but anything that reduces the amount of tax that would otherwise be paid on a new vehicle is a subsidy.

I'm really not complaining about it. What worries me is that the manufacturers will just jack up the prices to compensate and end up, in effect, making a taxpayer subsidy a profit-maker for them.

I don't know what the alternative is. I'd rather see a whole lot more on reliable and fast charging infrastructure. And recognizing that EV's are going to advance quickly and the latest tech will be obsolete quickly, some kind of a scheme to subsidize cheap leasing.

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
Part of the plan includes fast charging infrastructure. I just hope they plan for the future with charging speed capability. A charger installed in 2022 should be capable of 350kw minimum. And of course plan for trailer pull through spots.

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
The bigger rebates are federal which you don’t pay federal taxes when purchasing. The state may win out with their smaller rebates but I would hazard a majority of people would have bought a new vehicle with or without it being an EV and without rebates like Tesla still 6 months backlogged. So in my mind it is subsidized as well and mostly to well off people who can afford new vehicles.

And Tesla absolutely thought the BBB bill would pass to get them the rebates again and marked up their vehicles accordingly, which made me stop considering them. The timing was pretty obvious.

ZACH05855

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace EV, Nissan Titan XD Diesel, BJ-42
The bigger rebates are federal which you don’t pay federal taxes when purchasing. The state may win out with their smaller rebates but I would hazard a majority of people would have bought a new vehicle with or without it being an EV and without rebates like Tesla still 6 months backlogged. So in my mind it is subsidized as well and mostly to well off people who can afford new vehicles.

And Tesla absolutely thought the BBB bill would pass to get them the rebates again and marked up their vehicles accordingly, which made me stop considering them. The timing was pretty obvious.

Read the subject line buddy, we are talking about CANADA. We do pay Federal and provincial taxes on purchases.

Sponsored

duallyben

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-600, 2021 RAM 5500, 2019 int HV507 4X4
Occupation
self employeed
Half the vehicles sold is a pipe dream atm. I don't see any manufactures can get enough material to do it.

Easycamper

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F-150 XLT 5.0L, 2018 PacHy, 2013 Volt
Yep should be interesting. If the Lightning isn’t included in the new rebate I’ll be surprised.
Sponsored