Sponsored

Leveled Ride Quality - which one?

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
I assume this is the result of loosing some 2" of "droop". Upper control arm is over extended with both a puck and coilovers like fox, bilstein, icon, etc...
Pucks move the stock travel relative to the body, but you don't lose anything PROVIDED you stay within the limits of the suspension. For 21+ F150, I think that's only about 1.5" or so. BDS is adamant their 2" level does not max out any part of the suspension. This kit is a 1.5" strut spacer, and .5" spring preload. The -2020 was a full 2" of spacer ,and that jives with the change in motion ratio from 2020 to 21+.

Coilovers that are stock length and lift with spring pre-load move droop travel to up travel. They have to. If total suspension travel doesn't change, but at rest the suspension is sitting 2" higher in ride height, that doesn't come from nowhere. Droop ends in same location as stock, but much less travel to get there, as it has to stop 2" sooner on its way up.
Sponsored

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Powerboost
A puck does not compress the coil/shock. I have a 2" ready lift puck and it still has a cushy stock ride over almost everything. The only thing I have noticed is that the ride is harsh on things like potholes or sharp drops @ expansion joints on concrete, and some speed bumps. I assume this is the result of loosing some 2" of "droop". Upper control arm is over extended with both a puck and coilovers like fox, bilstein, icon, etc... In a year or so I will be replacing the stock control arms with some Camburgs. I hear this will improve wheel travel.
How could it not compress the coil? You're adding an immovable, extra space between the coil spring and it's chassis mount, without changing the total travel distance. This "preloads" (or compresses the spring). The coil has no where to go.

OP
OP

22CCSBF150

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150
Occupation
Sales
As an aside, I've ordered a puck level (2in front only) and 285/85R20 Wildpeak's. Truck should be delivered next week with the parts already applied.
A family member works at the Ford store, so the level is costing me $480 CAD installed.
If I hate it, I can throw on Fox or something else when the tires wear down and need to be changed. Thanks for the input! I'll post pics when I get the truck

cclark20

First Name
CD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Platinum SuperCrew PB 4X4 BAP
Look @ the Eibach Pro coilovers. They provide 1-2.5” of front lift and are adjustable on the truck. Their Pro shocks allow for 1.5 lift on the rear. They can be bought assembled to drop in with no coil compressor required.

You can catch them on sale from Eibach for 10-15% off.
https://eibach.com/us/c-797-product-releases-ford-f-150-4wd-2015-2022.html

I ran them on my 2020 Lariat and I liked the ride over the Fox coilovers I had on my 2019.

Good luck

Last edited:

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A SuperCab 3.5EB, Lots of dirt bikes
Occupation
Enginerd
Last edited:

Sponsored

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
How could it not compress the coil? You're adding an immovable, extra space between the coil spring and it's chassis mount, without changing the total travel distance. This "preloads" (or compresses the spring). The coil has no where to go.
For a puck spacer that installs above the factory strut mount: The lower arm moves down. Max droop distance from the truck body increases, and max tire bump height gets further away from the body (tire does not go as high into the fender well). Suspension travel doesn't change, but it moves away from the truck body.

If a puck spacer above the factory mount did add preload to the suspension, you would need to compress the suspension by 2 inches on install. Have you tried to compress the factory spring? you are not doing that by simply reattaching the ball joints (which have threaded lengths shorter than 2 inches, btw)

hammerhead2411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Pucks move the stock travel relative to the body, but you don't lose anything PROVIDED you stay within the limits of the suspension. For 21+ F150, I think that's only about 1.5" or so. BDS is adamant their 2" level does not max out any part of the suspension. This kit is a 1.5" strut spacer, and .5" spring preload. The -2020 was a full 2" of spacer ,and that jives with the change in motion ratio from 2020 to 21+.

Coilovers that are stock length and lift with spring pre-load move droop travel to up travel. They have to. If total suspension travel doesn't change, but at rest the suspension is sitting 2" higher in ride height, that doesn't come from nowhere. Droop ends in same location as stock, but much less travel to get there, as it has to stop 2" sooner on its way up.
Correct. I think a less confusing way to say it, relative to the truck and the wheel movement, a lifted truck has 2" less droop travel.
It doesn't compress the coil. The distance between the bottom of the coilover mount and the top mount does not change. You're quite literally lifting the truck and filling in the extra space with a puck. The new top mounting location is the same distance from the bottom arm as a truck with no lift.

kevinwright9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch Powerboost
2021 King Ranch Powerboost
Put BFG 276/65R20 KO2 the week I bought it and drove for a year.
Last month, put the Ready Lift 66-2120 leveling kit (at dealer) and did alignment. Held off for so long because I was worried about ruining a great riding truck.
I can tell no difference in ride whatsoever. I'm haven't done any offroading so I'm not testing any travel/flex limitations, but I've hit plenty of speed bumps, etc. and I haven't noticed any issues. I'm thrilled with both the ride and the looks.

Vincem1228

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 STX crew cab 4x4
I have a procomp 2.5" 2 piece level so small puck between top hat and spring and bigger one above strut. Alignment was easy, all suspension still feels and drives like stock. No binding but anything bigger would be a problem and it's actually level maybe 1/4" of rake left.

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Powerboost
Correct. I think a less confusing way to say it, relative to the truck and the wheel movement, a lifted truck has 2" less droop travel.

It doesn't compress the coil. The distance between the bottom of the coilover mount and the top mount does not change. You're quite literally lifting the truck and filling in the extra space with a puck. The new top mounting location is the same distance from the bottom arm as a truck with no lift.
Interesting, definitely not pretending to be a suspension expert, so I'm sure there's some things I don't know here. My ride definitely got firmer after the level though.

Sponsored

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
My ride definitely got firmer after the level though.
So, that likely has to do with the roll center of the truck changing as the geometry has changed. In a very short, simplified description: the truck doesn't want to roll over as much in turns, or when bump is applied to a single wheel, due to how the forces from suspension movement are redirected into the chassis.

I think these graphics might help with the concept. Note that in the image they are moving the suspension pickup points, but lifting a truck you would see it as the box moving up a bit along with the arms changing. The center of gravity moves up a bit to, but not as much as the roll center, so you still get a net-shorter roll couple (distance from CoG to roll center)

Ford F-150 Leveled Ride Quality - which one? 1651024644344

Ford F-150 Leveled Ride Quality - which one? 1651024652140

DMuiser

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Added a 2" level (Readylift "pucks") to my XLT Powerboost recently. Still on stock wheels and tires (275/65/18). It's much stiffer than before. Still not a bad ride, and it does corner better, but I do miss the cushy, stock, ride.
From what I understand, a puck kit will always result in a firmer ride, to at least some degree; as it compresses the springs slightly, and the stock strut/shock length remains the same.
Did you front end stay up? I have had my pucks on my PB now for about a month and noticing the front doesn't look as high as it was after the level. Looks almost back to stock but not quite.

4WD-Mod

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4WD-Mod.com
Vehicles
VW Alltrack, but shopping for a truck
Occupation
Outside Sales
AutoSpring and it was 2in from what I saw/ordered. It was for 21+ because the different U BOLT. And your last comment about the ratio/strut being inward is first I have ever heard this. And I think your right about that as it makes sense. My 18 never did this. Anyway I did change out to Falcon shocks and icon UCA and no more scuffing. What is mind boggling is that some with 21+ are running puck spacers and have no issues. I was not sure if my long WB 157 had anything to do with it.
Why Icon for UCA and not Rough Country?
Sponsored