First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Limited Powerboost
Occupation
Self Employed
I tow my F150 behind my motorcoach and a couple of times, at a stop, the rear wheels would lock up. I pull to the side and go through the motions of putting the truck into Recreational Tow mode. After, the truck throws a code and I get the Check Engine soon wrench. I bring it to Ford and the go through it and the wrench is gone. I now have a sluggish hand off from 1st to 2nd to 3rd gear and the truck just doesn't seem right? Any ideas. BTW, the shifter got stuck in Park and had to be towed to Ford. When it arrived, the shifter worked but they changed it out.
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I tow my F150 behind my motorcoach and a couple of times, at a stop, the rear wheels would lock up. I pull to the side and go through the motions of putting the truck into Recreational Tow mode. After, the truck throws a code and I get the Check Engine soon wrench. I bring it to Ford and the go through it and the wrench is gone. I now have a sluggish hand off from 1st to 2nd to 3rd gear and the truck just doesn't seem right? Any ideas. BTW, the shifter got stuck in Park and had to be towed to Ford. When it arrived, the shifter worked but they changed it out.
Good afternoon. David! Could you please send us a private message with your VIN and dealership information? I would like to look into these engine and shifter concerns for you on my end. Thanks!

dothedew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride, Model 3 Performance
Tbh it sounds like you towed it and it failed to go into tow mode and now the trans might be damaged.

Mhubbardva1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2016
Are you flat towing a powerboost? I have been researching it and can't find much on it. Where do you find Recreational Tow mode?

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 KR F150
Are you flat towing a powerboost? I have been researching it and can't find much on it. Where do you find Recreational Tow mode?
In the 2022 manual, page 469 it covers recreational tow mode procedure.

“You can only tow your vehicle with all wheels on the ground by placing the transfer case in its neutral position and engaging the recreational tow feature. Perform the following steps after positioning your vehicle behind the tow vehicle and properly securing them together.”

Sponsored

OP
OP

daardito

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Limited Powerboost
Occupation
Self Employed
If you have one, look in the owners manual under Recreational Towing. It tows so long as you follow step by step.

Mhubbardva1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2016
In the 2022 manual, page 469 it covers recreational tow mode procedure.

“You can only tow your vehicle with all wheels on the ground by placing the transfer case in its neutral position and engaging the recreational tow feature. Perform the following steps after positioning your vehicle behind the tow vehicle and properly securing them together.”
Got it, thanks. Don't know why I ways thought that was towing a travel trailer. Never read that section.
Sponsored