t-bone82

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 2.7EB XLT Sport
Hi all-

New to the forum, have been lurking for a few weeks and have learned a lot. I am currently in the market for a new 150, as I got a new job with a 90mile total commute (compared to the 10 mile commute at my old job). My current 2015 2.7 XLT Sport is at 155,xxx miles and so I'm looking to upgrade for reliability and of course the new job pays a lot more so this is kind of my treat to myself.

I placed a reservation for the lightening the first night I was able to because damn it is an awesome looking truck. But after the excitement of the unveiling and more importantly a long discussion with the wife, I don't think that will work for a lot of our road trips of 500+ miles to see family. So I am thinking of canceling that and ordering either a 2022 KR or Platinum (again the new job pays very well, and life is short) and I figured I can wait the few weeks for the order banks to open in September. I have crossed the limited off because I just can't get to like the interior colors. I love the look of my sport without all that Chrome, so if it was a KR it would be without the chrome package and if I went with platinum would likely do a chrome delete. Either truck would be AB or SQ (have only been able to see the AB so far at dealer's, hopefully can see the SQ before ordering). I also settled on the powerboost after driving that and the 5.0. Like I said it will be a daily commuter, towing a 4,500 boat on occasion and maybe in the near future a smaller travel trailer.

I'd like to know if anyone else struggled between the two models and what they decided and are they happy with the decision? Any regrets? I have seen plenty of awesome plats after chrome deletes (especially the guy in Georgia) but man to spend money on top of a 75k truck kinda sucks, was it worth it? Anything they'd do different?

Thanks y'all, love this forum and all the great info, has been a big help!
Sponsored

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
I had considered the KR & Platinum before ordering my 502A Lariat with the sport package. I didn't like all the King Ranch emblems everywhere in that trim. For the Platinum, it was really the tailgate that turned me off. I looked at the additional features that both offered compared to a well equipped Lariat and there wasn't much additional (in my opinion) I was getting for the added cost. I have been extremely happy with my truck in the month I've had it so far.

Marty811

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 KR Powerboost, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid
Occupation
Retired
Hi all-

New to the forum, have been lurking for a few weeks and have learned a lot. I am currently in the market for a new 150, as I got a new job with a 90mile total commute (compared to the 10 mile commute at my old job). My current 2015 2.7 XLT Sport is at 155,xxx miles and so I'm looking to upgrade for reliability and of course the new job pays a lot more so this is kind of my treat to myself.

I placed a reservation for the lightening the first night I was able to because damn it is an awesome looking truck. But after the excitement of the unveiling and more importantly a long discussion with the wife, I don't think that will work for a lot of our road trips of 500+ miles to see family. So I am thinking of canceling that and ordering either a 2022 KR or Platinum (again the new job pays very well, and life is short) and I figured I can wait the few weeks for the order banks to open in September. I have crossed the limited off because I just can't get to like the interior colors. I love the look of my sport without all that Chrome, so if it was a KR it would be without the chrome package and if I went with platinum would likely do a chrome delete. Either truck would be AB or SQ (have only been able to see the AB so far at dealer's, hopefully can see the SQ before ordering). I also settled on the powerboost after driving that and the 5.0. Like I said it will be a daily commuter, towing a 4,500 boat on occasion and maybe in the near future a smaller travel trailer.

I'd like to know if anyone else struggled between the two models and what they decided and are they happy with the decision? Any regrets? I have seen plenty of awesome plats after chrome deletes (especially the guy in Georgia) but man to spend money on top of a 75k truck kinda sucks, was it worth it? Anything they'd do different?

Thanks y'all, love this forum and all the great info, has been a big help!
It’s all about the interior! My wife and I sat in both a Platinum and a King Ranch. That brown leather in the King Ranch is so gorgeous that it made the decision easy for us.

Mash150

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 King Ranch, 157, SQ , PB
Occupation
Unskilled House Mechanic
Price them both out - some options make the KR more expensive than the Platinum. I‘ve previously had high optioned Lariats & a Platinum. I went with Platinum due to the interior.
Correct. My KR here in Canada priced out more than a platinum. And it’s not even fully loaded. I will come down to your own preferences on interior trim and looks. The P does include some of the options you must add to the KR price so in the end you might be looking at not a large price differential. In fact a fully loaded P in the US is only about 50 more than a base KR here, exchange rates aside.

Sponsored

pkinneb

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 & 2018 MX5's, 2021 F150 PB Platinum
I ruled out the Limited due to the interior color, the badging on the hood, and the 22 inch wheels. As was mentioned The King Ranch badging was not for me. I drove a lariat but it was the same price as the platinum I ordered and I felt the platinum interior was upscale from the lariat. The great thing is Ford has so many options the bad thing is only you can really say which is right for you :)

mwf5888

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR PowerBoost FX4 & 2024 Escape Platinum
Occupation
Instructional Designer
It is the chrome delete on the Platinum after purchase which will be a significant cost. Then, as one person said, it really is about the interior color you want.

Do you only want one of the Platinum interior colors (Black or Carmelo)?

If no, then if you like the KR interior and even like the idea of a two-tone, then the King Ranch may be the way to go since you can order without chrome.

Keep in mind the grills are different too.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
Had a King Ranch (2 tone delete a must) been available in February, I would have chosen that over my Platinum but selection was really limited. I had a 2016 F150 King Ranch and was completely satisfied with it. I, at least, got a King Ranch Explorer for the wife. ?

Way2qk4u2c

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 2015 Mustang GT
Occupation
Network admin
I pretty much did exactly what you are going through :) I made a lightning reservation and after thinking about it i now will cancel it. Road trips and powering my house was 2 reasons the lightning didnt make sense for me. Yes i know the lightning can power your house but once you run out of battery then what, right? So then like yourself i found myself looking at the lariet, KR, or P. For me the KR interior and all the emblems plus when i see a KR all i think about is cowboys on a ranch living. So then it was either Lariet or P, and the one feature i really wanted was the massaging seats so that forced me into the P by default. I too hate the chrome on the P and will have to figure out how to tone it down but the interior is top notch. The only thing i'm not sure on is the max recline seats if they are worth it or not, anyone have advice on the max recline seats?. My order is still in processing :(

Not sure if i helped you out at all :)

thevofl

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Antimatter Blue F150 Diet Platinum (Eventually)
Occupation
Math
When I placed my order on 5/1 it was for a KR nearly fully loaded. I chose it over the Platinum as the base price was a few thousand more and essentially the same product. I liked the java interior. So I didn't really consider the Platinum.

It wasn't until I read on this site that the Platinum is actually cheaper once you load it up. So I made a side by side comparison and the Platinum was approximately $1,800 cheaper and it included the massaging seats (which are not an option on the KR). I saw the Carmelo seats in person and I loved them too. I do like the chrome, but will probably do something to the Pt tailgate, based on some of the posted videos/pictures from the site.

On 5/29 I was able to switch to the Platinum without losing my original order date. On 7/9 I added in CCD and the onboard scale and it was still less than what I had originally ordered with the KR.

I am still waiting.

Sponsored

Marty811

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
When I placed my order on 5/1 it was for a KR nearly fully loaded. I chose it over the Platinum as the base price was a few thousand more and essentially the same product. I liked the java interior. So I didn't really consider the Platinum.

It wasn't until I read on this site that the Platinum is actually cheaper once you load it up. So I made a side by side comparison and the Platinum was approximately $1,800 cheaper and it included the massaging seats (which are not an option on the KR). I saw the Carmelo seats in person and I loved them too. I do like the chrome, but will probably do something to the Pt tailgate, based on some of the posted videos/pictures from the site.

On 5/29 I was able to switch to the Platinum without losing my original order date. On 7/9 I added in CCD and the onboard scale and it was still less than what I had originally ordered with the KR.

I am still waiting.
My King Ranch has messaging seats! My wife loves them.

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
KR emblems and badging are *way* too much for me. Limited also. I even think the Platinum is a bit too much but passable. I went with a Lariat 502 for that reason, plus I like the PVD wheels much better. But to answer your question directly, between the KR and Platinum, personally I’d go with the Platinum.

thevofl

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Math
My King Ranch has messaging seats! My wife loves them.
That's interesting. I do not doubt you. But when I placed my order and then revised it in May, the KR did not have any mention to "Active Motion" in my order, and I had 601A selected. When I went over it with my dealer, he thought it was included, but couldn't find it in the documentation.

Needless to say, I did save approximately $1800.

Marty811

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
That's interesting. I do not doubt you. But when I placed my order and then revised it in May, the KR did not have any mention to "Active Motion" in my order, and I had 601A selected. When I went over it with my dealer, he thought it was included, but couldn't find it in the documentation.

Needless to say, I did save approximately $1800.
The messaging seats do come standard on the 601A.
I love the Western theme on the King Ranch. Out here in Western South Dakota the cowboy is king, including our governor!
We also spend part of the winter near Bandera Texas, Cowboy capital of the world!

thevofl

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Math
The messaging seats do come standard on the 601A.
I love the Western theme on the King Ranch. Out here in Western South Dakota the cowboy is king, including our governor!
We also spend part of the winter near Bandera Texas, Cowboy capital of the world!
Something tells me that it was a typo of some sort that I managed to sign up for before Ford could update it.

I'm familiar with South Dakota. When I used to drive from between past Duluth MN to San Francisco, I would take many different routes. Driving across the plains can be a challenge, but I seemed to find South Dakota to be the best. Friendly people, towns nicely spaced along I-90, and an 80MPH speed limit.
Sponsored