Sponsored

"Key not detected" unable to start truck. Backup position under cupholder doesn't work either.

LoweRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Supercrew XLT Sport 4x4 5.0 302A
Update:

The issue was fixed a week or so ago.

The cable that connects to the key transceiver was unplugged. The service tech believes it was not completely secured from the factory and eventually worked its way lose.

Tow, loaner, and repair was all covered by Ford.

I do still love my truck.
Do you know the location of said transceiver?
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I think it's in the console?

Let me see if I can verify

Edit: not the best picture, but I do believe it is indicating the antenna in the console

Ford F-150 "Key not detected" unable to start truck.  Backup position under cupholder doesn't work either. Screenshot_20230421_130340_OneDrive

Last edited:

rpold150

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Platinum
I think it's in the console?

Let me see if I can verify

Edit: not the best picture, but I do believe it is indicating the antenna in the console

Screenshot_20230421_130340_OneDrive.jpg
I believe #2 antenna is pointing to the one on the bottom of the console cup holder.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes. I believe you are correct

Tmac

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Powerboost
Have a 2022 Powerboost that has been having the No Key error since this spring. Initially only happened during trips to the mountains in Colorado. Upon return to TX I didn't experience the issue. I thought perhaps it was altitude related somehow, not noting that it was typically happening in the morning after temps dropped into low 40's or 30's overnight. However, during a recent spate of cold fronts the error began appearing again. I noted that often in the afternoons (when temps were back over 60*) the fobs would be detected with no error, so it seemed more related to lower temperatures. Have replaced batteries with no success. Now temps have warmed up but the truck will still not recognize the keys.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So strange.
Makes you wanna open up the console and swap out that receiver? Or at least verify it is plugged in properly.

(I think that's where it is)

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
So strange.
Makes you wanna open up the console and swap out that receiver?

(I think that's where it is)
It's attached to the bottom of the front cup holders.

rtf150

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Agate Black 501A FX4 Powerboost
OP
OP

astro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Platinum
Hey @Tmac. Is this happening all the time or intermittently?

During my situation I was texting @Jesse-Infotainment . After he understood the root problem was the transceiver under the cup holders coming unplugged, he mentioned he should have had me test holding the key fob next to the rear-upper-center of the interior. If you scroll up to the picture posted by @Snakebitten on 4/21/2023, that location would be the red circle on the right. Try putting your keyfob near that spot and see if you still have the issue. If not, then likely the transceiver under the cupholder (left red circle) is bad. If both locations don't work, then it could be the keyfob or something else. Hope you get this worked out.

Fredm2002

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Platinum Antimatter Blue; 2018 Edge 1984 V-65
Occupation
Education
I didn't mention it, and now we all know that the issue isn't what I was wondering..... But

I innocently park my 2018 KingRanch F150 in a parking spot between two small businesses in my small town.
When I returned to it to leave, I got the no key detected.

Long story, but it was literally some kind of signal jamming interference that ended up affecting about a 100sqft space in the parking lot.

And not all vehicles, but definitely my truck.
I have a similar thing happen at a local McDonalds. No Key Detected error, but I can start it with the key fob in the slot. I took it to the Ford dealer and they told me that it is something at the restaurant as several other ford owners have had the same issue.....go figure

Sponsored

Tmac

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Powerboost
Hey @Tmac. Is this happening all the time or intermittently?

During my situation I was texting @Jesse-Infotainment . After he understood the root problem was the transceiver under the cup holders coming unplugged, he mentioned he should have had me test holding the key fob next to the rear-upper-center of the interior. If you scroll up to the picture posted by @Snakebitten on 4/21/2023, that location would be the red circle on the right. Try putting your keyfob near that spot and see if you still have the issue. If not, then likely the transceiver under the cupholder (left red circle) is bad. If both locations don't work, then it could be the keyfob or something else. Hope you get this worked out.
It was intermittent. However, it has not not worked for over a week straight. I'll try the rear location when I head home this evening and update.

Thanks!

Tmac

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Powerboost
he mentioned he should have had me test holding the key fob next to the rear-upper-center of the interior. If you scroll up to the picture posted by @Snakebitten on 4/21/2023, that location would be the red circle on the right. Try putting your keyfob near that spot and see if you still have the issue. If not, then likely the transceiver under the cupholder (left red circle) is bad. If both locations don't work, then it could be the keyfob or something else. Hope you get this worked out.
Did try in that spot - no luck with that. Got it into service last week. Talked to them today - no answers yet - evidently there are several error codes logged, but nothing clearly pointing to a problem. They seem to be grasping at straws right now...

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I was hoping to hear something more encouraging than that. :(

NzCanuck

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Hybrid
Occupation
Retired
Long-time lurker, first time poster.

I'm posting here in hopes someone else has experienced this same issue and know how to resolve it.

The background: Driving into work yesterday was great, getting into the truck to go home was and still is a nightmare.

A have a 2023 F150, and when I attempted to start it up to head home I received the following message: "Key not detected". As of now, the truck is still sitting in the parking garage it was yesterday.

A couple of notes.
  1. The truck does respond to the keyfob lock/unlock buttons.
  2. I did a bit of web searching and came across instructions to put the key in the passive key backup position under the cupholder. That did not work.
  3. I called Ford roadside assistance. The tow truck arrived and they did their best but unfortunately was unable to tow the truck. Reasons:
    1. The truck is sitting in a parking garage with 7 foot 1 inch clearance.
    2. The individual was not able to release the parking brake. (I don't even know how the parking brake was turned on. I honestly do not know if it even is on.)
    3. The individual was not able to put the vehicle in neutral.
    4. He said he could "drag" the truck but I wasn't okay with that. That was the end of that.
  4. My wife brought the second key fob, same behavior.
  5. I decided to go home as a major storm came through the area.
  6. Called ford support and they tried their best but the infrastructure is just not there to really help people out at 9-10pm in the evening.
  7. Checked my fordpass app and noticed an OTA update was installed at 11:57AM. The version was 4.2.2.1. Wondering if that update bricked the key recognition for engine start.
I'm heading back out in a little bit with some tools to detach the battery and see if that has any effect. If not, I'll head to a dealership and see if they can pull in emergency resources.

Guys this is frustrating as can be. I'm open to any suggestions.
Since FordCanada has yet to fix my 2021 f150 lariat, that is how it started with my truck . Since they have not fixed the problems that create that situation in my truck, my guess you have just inherited my issues. If you have an inkling to understand look for the thread massive problems … dealers useless. If nothing else, the info in that thread will provide you with the knowledge to handle what ever the dealer tries to tell you. Good luck, lots of good guys here, who may be of assistance, wish I had reached out to them sooner.

NzCanuck

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Hybrid
Occupation
Retired

I'm posting here in hopes someone else has experienced this same issue and know how to resolve it.

The background: Driving into work yesterday was great, getting into the truck to go home was and still is a nightmare.

A have a 2023 F150, and when I attempted to start it up to head home I received the following message: "Key not detected". As of now, the truck is still sitting in the parking garage it was yesterday.

A couple of notes.disconnect battery, should reset electric brakes
  2. I did a bit of web searching and came across instructions to put the key in the passive key backup position under the cupholder. That did not work.
  3. I called Ford roadside assistance. The tow truck arrived and they did their best but unfortunately was unable to tow the truck. Reasons:
    2. The individual was not able to release the parking brake. (I don't even know how the parking brake was turned on. I honestly do not know if it even is on.)
    4. He said he could "drag" the truck but I wasn't okay with that. That was the end of that.
  6. Called ford support and they tried their best but the infrastructure is just not there to really help people out at 9-10pm in the evening.
  7. Checked my fordpass app and noticed an OTA update was installed at 11:57AM. The version was 4.2.2.1. Wondering if that update bricked the key recognition for engine start.
I'm heading back out in a little bit with some tools to detach the battery and see if that has any effect. If not, I'll head to a dealership and see if they can pull in emergency resources.

A couple of notes.

Sponsored