Sponsored

"Key not detected" unable to start truck. Backup position under cupholder doesn't work either.

astro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Platinum
Long-time lurker, first time poster.

I'm posting here in hopes someone else has experienced this same issue and know how to resolve it.

The background: Driving into work yesterday was great, getting into the truck to go home was and still is a nightmare.

A have a 2023 F150, and when I attempted to start it up to head home I received the following message: "Key not detected". As of now, the truck is still sitting in the parking garage it was yesterday.

A couple of notes.
  1. The truck does respond to the keyfob lock/unlock buttons.
  2. I did a bit of web searching and came across instructions to put the key in the passive key backup position under the cupholder. That did not work.
  3. I called Ford roadside assistance. The tow truck arrived and they did their best but unfortunately was unable to tow the truck. Reasons:
    1. The truck is sitting in a parking garage with 7 foot 1 inch clearance.
    2. The individual was not able to release the parking brake. (I don't even know how the parking brake was turned on. I honestly do not know if it even is on.)
    3. The individual was not able to put the vehicle in neutral.
    4. He said he could "drag" the truck but I wasn't okay with that. That was the end of that.
  4. My wife brought the second key fob, same behavior.
  5. I decided to go home as a major storm came through the area.
  6. Called ford support and they tried their best but the infrastructure is just not there to really help people out at 9-10pm in the evening.
  7. Checked my fordpass app and noticed an OTA update was installed at 11:57AM. The version was 4.2.2.1. Wondering if that update bricked the key recognition for engine start.
I'm heading back out in a little bit with some tools to detach the battery and see if that has any effect. If not, I'll head to a dealership and see if they can pull in emergency resources.

Guys this is frustrating as can be. I'm open to any suggestions.
Sponsored

richardrocks

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 PB XLT FX4 in Avalanche
That’s an incredible bummer. I have a strong feeling that pulling the positive battery cable for a good 10 min and letting everything reboot will work. If it does… I’ll add some more thoughts. That’s what got mine to start earlier this week (different error message).

I work in tech support and my mantra is: Shut Up and Shut Down.

Good luck!

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Can you send me the vin so I can see is any codes are reporting and have some idea

The module that handles all of that is in the headliner.

OP
OP

astro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Platinum
I shared the VIN with Jesse.

I am at the truck now and awaiting feedback from Jesse before proceeding with pulling the battery.

Edit: Same behavior as last night. The exact error message is shown in the image below
Ford F-150 "Key not detected" unable to start truck.  Backup position under cupholder doesn't work either. 20230401_103606

OP
OP

astro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Platinum
I'm running through some things with Jesse.

Getting the cover off the aux battery has been a challenge for me. It is a powerboost with fold flat storage. Would appreciate any tips getting the cover off.

Edit: Nevermind on the aux battery cover. It is now off. In slightly related news, I am now the proud owner of a slightly broken aux battery cover.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
It does sound an awful lot like the system lost the configuration to the keys and is no longer associating them with the truck.

OP
OP

astro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Platinum
I ran through some things with Jesse including the pulling both batteries(powerboost).

Jesse is awesome but we are limited in what we can do in this particular circumstance.

The strange thing is, I can lock/unlock and remote start with the keyfob just fine.

I went to the closest Ford dealership and they were not helpful at all.

Shoulder shrug, no one from the service department is here, and "you gotta get it towed good luck pal"

No interest in helping solve the issue at all.

Natetroknot

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT 3.5 302A
Just chiming in to say this sucks, total bs, wish I had more help, but admire your patient approach-peppered with a little humor.

Good luck and good vibes your way! Keep us updated please.

And may as well call out the lame ass dealer who offered you eff all for help so as many people as possible can avoid patronizing them, whenever you get a sec.(y)

Sponsored

OP
OP

astro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Platinum
The panel is open and the trans is in neutral. We can't get the truck moving due to the parking brake or some other brake being on.

S14suspense

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Powerboost Lariat 502a FX4 Smoked Quartz
Going to have to get under the rear wheels with something I'd think

OP
OP

astro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Platinum
The guy they sent out can't do that. He just left and he will call ford back to ensure they send someone who can.
Sponsored