Sponsored

Powerboost doesn't recognize key fob

grubbster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
Truck is only a few months old and I had this issue today for the second time. I get in to start the vehicle and it does not recognize the key is in the truck and will not start. Tried the second fob with the same result. The fob will lock and unlock the doors but the ignition does not think the key is in the truck. I tried remote start with the fob with no luck. Used remote start from the phone app and the electronics came on but the ICE did not start. Finally after about 10 minutes with the electronic on the ICE kicked on and it recognized my fob and I was able to start and drive. Anyone else have this problem or know what may be causing it?
Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Sounds really similar to someone who found their key antenna wasn't plugged in, it's attached to the cupholder and requires the painted trim pieces on the side of the console to be removed before you can pull the cup holder out. I don't remember if the entire trim piece around it needs removed, but this would require a pretty decent removal of parts including the seats if it can't be gotten to otherwise. Another method to reach it may be able to occur if you can pull out the bin under the armrest and reach up into it.

If you remove the rubber liners in the cup holders you will see the backup key slot. First try putting the key into this slot. This slot is also the exact location of the antenna. Given you have a new truck the odds of both batteries being dead is almost 0 -- see if it starts w/ key in slot. Given the last issue I'm betting the key antenna is probably unplugged if not fully plugged in.

Supercub

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost 2022 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
I have had this problem whenever I park in front of one particular store. Almost every time and at o other time. There is a signal emitting from something at that location that is nulling the key fob. You may have a different problem if it’s not like mine however. I have to use the keypad to unlock the door. Then it’s a remote app start.

OP
OP

grubbster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
Interesting. I was in the same parking lot both times it happened. I have been in that parking lot quite a few times, but it has only happened those two times.
Sponsored