Sponsored

Anyone else getting key not detected errors?

newdeal99

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 on order
No, I don't mean normal ones because the battery is dead. I just got my 2021 10 days ago, have had this happen multiple times when the key is in the car. Odd thing is though I am pretty sure it has never happened when one key is in the car. Only when both keys are in the car at the same time because my wife has one in her purse and I have one in my pocket. I am pretty sure it has never happened without her key in the car as well
Sponsored

apMechorse

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A 5.0L FX4 & '15 Audi A5 T2
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician
No, I don't mean normal ones because the battery is dead. I just got my 2021 10 days ago, have had this happen multiple times when the key is in the car. Odd thing is though I am pretty sure it has never happened when one key is in the car. Only when both keys are in the car at the same time because my wife has one in her purse and I have one in my pocket. I am pretty sure it has never happened without her key in the car as well
I've had it happen once while the key was in my left front pocket. I had to remove it and set it on the dash before the error went away. So far it's only happened the one time, and only with that one key. Only one key was in the truck at the time.

OP
OP

newdeal99

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 on order
another weird thing is I can still start the truck if I just press the button a bunch of times. And when I shut the truck off it gives an error that says basically turn the truck back on or I will need the key...but the keys have been in there the whole time

keithw1975

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 302A, 2023 Explorer ST, 1999 Ram 3500
This has happened one or twice on mine and just as frequently on our 2019 and 2015 Explorers. Never has caused a problem as it is very temporary.

RRRasberry

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150, 2018 Eplorer
another weird thing is I can still start the truck if I just press the button a bunch of times. And when I shut the truck off it gives an error that says basically turn the truck back on or I will need the key...but the keys have been in there the whole time
I am having the exact same issue with my 2021 F150. I am also having the Key Not Detected message popup after the truck has been started for a couple of minutes.
I did notice that it does not occur after it has been sitting overnight and I go to start it.

Sponsored

OP
OP

newdeal99

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 on order
I am having the exact same issue with my 2021 F150. I am also having the Key Not Detected message popup after the truck has been started for a couple of minutes.
I did notice that it does not occur after it has been sitting overnight and I go to start it.
Oddly though if I keep pressing the start button it only takes like 3 tries and the truck starts anyway. I haven't tried to see if it will start like that if the key actually isn't in the truck

mattchops

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat
It happens sometimes, but always goes away. I chalk it up to it being in my pocket and somehow blocking the signal for a moment.

Heavishot

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F-150
I’ve had that happen once but it went away in seconds. Twice I’ve had some kind of headlight error come up ( during daytime) and go away before I could fully read it.

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
Don’t have my F150 yet but I know with my wifes acura if the key is in the same pocket as my phone it won’t detect it. I’m guessing the phone is emitting something that interferes with the keys radio.

OP
OP

newdeal99

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 on order
just as an update, this is happening almost every day to me now and it does happen even when only one key is in the car. Happens with both keys.

Sponsored

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
just as an update, this is happening almost every day to me now and it does happen even when only one key is in the car. Happens with both keys.
Have you taken it to the dealer to have it looked at and fixed under warranty?

Last edited:
OP
OP

newdeal99

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 on order
Haven’t you taken it to the dealer to have it looked at and fixed under warranty?
I took it in and asked them to look at it when I was having an oil change but I don't think they did.

Chad78

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Supercrew XLT Sport
I have had my truck for about four months now, and today I had drove the truck for about twenty minutes, shut it off and went in a store, when I got back in the truck about twenty minutes later the truck started up with no issues, but about two minutes later as I'm sitting there replying to a text, the "No Key Detected" message came up on the dash, so I just shut the truck off and opened the door and shut it to shut down the power to everything, and I hit the start button and it started right up with no message and I drove it back home.

Edit: Saturday August 21st, 2021

I had the "No Key Detected" message come up again. I only have one key fob in the truck at the time both of these situations took place, both times the key fob has been in my left pocket and my cell phone is in the cup holder by the arm rest, so nowhere near the key fob. This time I just waited and the message went away within a minute or so and that was it I never had another issue.

Last edited:

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
My current car owners manual states that you should only have one key in the vehicle at a time or the vehicle may give a warning that the key is not detected as the signals interfere with each other. It says remove the second key and try to start the vehicle again

OP
OP

newdeal99

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 on order
My current car owners manual states that you should only have one key in the vehicle at a time or the vehicle may give a warning that the key is not detected as the signals interfere with each other. It says remove the second key and try to start the vehicle again
I had my wife take the second key out of her purse a while back and I still get the extremely often, even when I am the only person in the vehicle.
Sponsored