First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat FX4 PB
Occupation
Machine Designer - Ford Motor Co.
So, yesterday out of the blue, I get the "Oil Change Required" warning light, and it's at 0% oil life.
I got NO warning at all before this. I could swear that there used to be a warning at 50% and maybe 25% or something, Y/N? very irritating and stupid!
Anyone else run into this?
Sponsored

flatag

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT FX4
Same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago. The message came up every time I started the truck. I also started getting SMS messages saying the oil was exhausted. The nanny can be a real pest.

OP
OP
CaptainAmericaRob

CaptainAmericaRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat FX4 PB
Occupation
wow, that's odd, lol. i have a feeling these OTA updates are the culprit :rolleyes::cautious: .
I like the warning when the oil gets close, but no warning until it's actually too late? WTH?

OP
OP
CaptainAmericaRob

CaptainAmericaRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat FX4 PB
Occupation

Sponsored

OP
OP
CaptainAmericaRob

CaptainAmericaRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat FX4 PB
Occupation
Warning? I usually watch the odometer and change accordingly...
on my previous trucks i did, idk why i didnt on this one. it's 18 months old, and i only have 16,000 miles on it

ivorm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 XLT 302
On a recent oil change I was watching mine as it ticked down (using the app) and I was waiting to schedule my service . Then one day it dropped form about 10% to 0%, I can't remember if I got a warning or not before the drop. Maybe you had a sudden drop like I did and didn't get a warning? I asked the service guy about it and they just give you the typical response "you were past due for you oil change anyway, you should have brought it in XXXX kms ago". According to the dealer, they still think I should bring it in every 8000 kilometers, they just want more money.

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
I usually bring it in before it's due according to the monitor.
Usually when it hits between 25-20% oil life remaining.
I tow and I read the EcoBoost does better with more frequent oil changes.
I figure it's a somewhat cheap form of insurance to help ensure my engine stays in good health.

Last edited:

Sponsored

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Did you get the oil changed last ~1 yr ago? I wonder if the warning only pops up for mileage and not calendar? Example, of you approach 10k miles in under a year, you get a warning, but if you get close to the 1 year mark, it goes from whatever mileage % remaining to 0%, bypassing the warning prompt.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
I get the same jump but it’s because of the date, not the mileage.

The computer guesses when the oil should be changed based on mileage, operating conditions and engine on/off cycles but when it reaches the annual oil change interval it will go to 0% overnight if you haven’t met any of the other parameters.

I don’t drive my truck every day or every week and sometimes it will even sit for a month. So unless I am checking Fordpass often, I generally don’t get a warning.

I have a naturally aspirated V-8, so I’ve been going off the oil minder but if I had a turbo truck; I don’t know if I could go too far without changing the oil. That being said, Ford’s V-8 engines in the past few decades have been pretty notorious for needing frequent oil changes too. So if it weren’t for the fact that I’m putting less than 2,500 miles a year on my truck so far, I’d probably be changing it way before the computer told me.

I change the oil in my driveway and use the Ford oil and filters, so it’s relatively inexpensive.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
screw that oil percentage system. just go off of the tried and true odometer chief.
My dad used to own a hot-shot delivery company and he'd easily put 1-2K miles a week on his trucks. He regularly rack up 4-500K miles on them in only a few years and while the transmissions usually needed rebuilding after 150K miles the engines were always rock solid despite the severe conditions they were under.

He pounded it in my thick skull to always used high quality oil and follow the tried and true mileage change interval. Conventional or blended oils with a lot of hard or city driving oil changed at every 3K. Full synthetic and/or less harsh driving change at 5K miles.

As a result I have never had an oil related engine problem in the past 30 years of driving. No fuel dilution issues on GDI engines, no sludge build up, no excessive wear, turbos that last for well over 150K miles. So yeah I ignore those oil life monitors since I'm always changing my oil well before they say I need to anyway.

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The oil change reminder work on time and / or mileage.

Eric12775

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RCSB 2x4 5.0 on order
Occupation
Truck driver
My truck told me that I needed my first oil change at 2500 miles 6 months after I got it
Sponsored