First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired
The adaptive cruise has worked well for the little I have used it so far but one thing I did notice is that the speed limit indicator will occasionally appear on the far right of the speedometer versus at the corresponding position on the speedo. I'm guessing that indicates some sort of uncertainty by the system but there is nothing in the manual about this. Any ideas?
I noticed this yesterday. By my observation, it only shifts it to the bottom right when the Navi system is navigating a route. The tach and speedo get smaller, and the 4 small guages separate in between the second and third one. This makes room for the "next turn" information to display on the screen. And of course, the speed limit sign is at the bottom right of the speedometer. Cancel the route, and everything returns to normal.

If it is not navigating a route and doing this, then I have no answer.
Sponsored

Greyhound

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Sport Powerboost
I noticed this yesterday. By my observation, it only shifts it to the bottom right when the Navi system is navigating a route. The tach and speedo get smaller, and the 4 small guages separate in between the second and third one. This makes room for the "next turn" information to display on the screen. And of course, the speed limit sign is at the bottom right of the speedometer. Cancel the route, and everything returns to normal.

Greyhound

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Sport Powerboost
That must be it and makes sense to clear the screen area for nav info. Thanks for the reply

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer

Aha!! I couldn't figure out why sometimes it was on the dial and sometimes on the bottom right. Great observation!

On the speed limit recognition, I have noticed that it automatically picks up the "trucks and trailers" speed limit of 55mph even on 65mph freeways. That may be a california thing, but there is always a sign just under the normal limit, OR a few hundred feet up the road after the normal limit. If it does the separate signage, the truck picks up the 55 instead.

ken325i

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
Occupation
Retired
I am located in TN. When entering a lower speed limit, there are always 2 signs. For example, driving at 65 and entering a 45, there will be 2 45 MPH signs. The truck will NOT recognize the 1st 45 sign and always recognizes the 2nd sign, before deceleration. This could cause problems when police are checking speeds.........

Sponsored

sonofzell

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 XLT Sport 2.7EB SCrew 302A High
On the speed limit recognition, I have noticed that it automatically picks up the "trucks and trailers" speed limit of 55mph even on 65mph freeways. That may be a california thing, but there is always a sign just under the normal limit, OR a few hundred feet up the road after the normal limit. If it does the separate signage, the truck picks up the 55 instead.
Funny, I was just thinking about this the other day going through a school zone. In PA we have the 15mph signs posted with indicator lights above. There's typically a "when flashing" marker somewhere on the post. I was curious if/how the truck would interpret that - I imagine it could be troublesome if it suddenly drops you to school-zone speed unexpectedly.

I use ACC frequently, but not the speed limit recognition. the +5mph max just doesn't suffice for me in most situations.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Funny, I was just thinking about this the other day going through a school zone. In PA we have the 15mph signs posted with indicator lights above. There's typically a "when flashing" marker somewhere on the post. I was curious if/how the truck would interpret that - I imagine it could be troublesome if it suddenly drops you to school-zone speed unexpectedly.

I use ACC frequently, but not the speed limit recognition. the +5mph max just doesn't suffice for me in most situations.
Yep. I don't want the intelligent changing my speeds bc I don't see how the AI can possibly be good enough just yet. Every state has different ways of doing things like multiple speed limits, construction zone speeds, and school zone speeds. School zones are not 24/7 but I have noticed mine picks it up and give a nav warning tone (it was the mystery warning tone I couldn't figure out). I'm ok with it showing up on my speedo but that would be scary if the truck suddenly decelerated.

(not that I'd be using cruise in an area with school zones, but the point stands)

Itsjustmd

First Name
Jayce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
I'm not too crazy about it steering. I'm fine with the adaptive cruise part.
Interesting. It's legit the only reason I ordered it over the Ram haha. My car lane centers and on a long drive it's so relaxing to not be having to do that yourself.

Reeltime

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2018 Murano
Occupation
IT Consultant
I like the adaptive cruise with speed limit recognition for the most part. I concerned when the speed limit slows, the truck does not start slowing until the truck passes speed limit sign. In some small towns, that would get me a ticket. It would be nice if the truck would slow before the sign and have the truck at the posted speed when it passed the sign. I'm sure the camera sees the sign in plenty of time.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
So I had a 15-20 mile run on the interstate the other day and used the cruise both ways. On the way back I found a comfortable grip on the steering wheel that allowed me to run the entire time without the hands on the wheel warning. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks.... ;)

Sponsored

OP
OP

Touchdwn

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited Power-Boost; 2018 Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Corporate Pilot; retired Air Traffic Controller

You can set rom plus 20 to minus 20.

sonofzell

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 XLT Sport 2.7EB SCrew 302A High
You can set rom plus 20 to minus 20.
Really? When I tried setting it up, it went to +5 then wouldn't let me increase the value.

Admittedly, I just assumed that was the max and haven't tinkered with it since. I'll have to take another look and see if I missed something or was looking at the wrong setting!

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
Driving on a highway yesterday using the adaptive cruise, I was noticing that the reported speed on the dash toggled between the highway’s 70 MPH and the frontage road’s 50MPH regularly - typically as I passed an exit. The frontage road had speed limit signs at the merge points from the off-ramps.

I think the intelligent cruise would have been confused by the signage there.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Driving on a highway yesterday using the adaptive cruise, I was noticing that the reported speed on the dash toggled between the highway’s 70 MPH and the frontage road’s 50MPH regularly - typically as I passed an exit. The frontage road had speed limit signs at the merge points from the off-ramps.

I think the intelligent cruise would have been confused by the signage there.
I just don't think the intelligent speed limit recognition is quite there yet. So far there are these issues:
  • Frontage road signs being recognized while on freeway (probably worst in Texas with their huge frontage roads)
  • Trailer/Truck signs (55mph) being recognized right after the auto limit of 65 or 70 (huge issue in Cali, not sure what other states)
  • School zones sudden 25mph when non-school hours or weekends (not sure why people were using cruise on a school zone street though?)
  • Curve speed recommendations being taken as limits (probably not a BAD thing but it could be sudden/unexpected)
I don't mind some autonomous steering assistance but if I ever felt brake slamming due to error it would be the last time I ever used it. I've never turned mine on once I read a few of the issues.

I absolutely appreciate the speed limit recognition (without assistance!) and placing it on my speedometer, and I have the blinking indicator set up. I love knowing if I'm over so I have the choice to slow or not, it's awesome!

Deleted member 2919

I just don't think the intelligent speed limit recognition is quite there yet. So far there are these issues:
  • Frontage road signs being recognized while on freeway (probably worst in Texas with their huge frontage roads)
  • Trailer/Truck signs (55mph) being recognized right after the auto limit of 65 or 70 (huge issue in Cali, not sure what other states)
  • School zones sudden 25mph when non-school hours or weekends (not sure why people were using cruise on a school zone street though?)
  • Curve speed recommendations being taken as limits (probably not a BAD thing but it could be sudden/unexpected)
I don't mind some autonomous steering assistance but if I ever felt brake slamming due to error it would be the last time I ever used it. I've never turned mine on once I read a few of the issues.

I absolutely appreciate the speed limit recognition (without assistance!) and placing it on my speedometer, and I have the blinking indicator set up. I love knowing if I'm over so I have the choice to slow or not, it's awesome!
Because traffic fines are double in a school zone homie.

Imagine if there was a way that I could ensure that I was going as fast as I was legally able to, whilst ensuring that under no circumstances I would exceed the speed limit...
Sponsored