Intelligent Cruise Control with speed limit recognition

newdeal99

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 on order
I stopped using the intelligent cruise. I didn't like it making mistakes but also some back roads around where I live just have speed limits that no one obeys so it was irritating having it slow down when everyone else was going fast and having to kick it back up. Also, I don't like how it hits the brakes, I wish it just glided to the new speed

apMechorse

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A 5.0L FX4 & '15 Audi A5 T2
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician
Also, I don't like how it hits the brakes, I wish it just glided to the new speed
THIS. This is irritating. Granted not huge in the grand scheme of things.

So far there are these issues:
  • Frontage road signs being recognized while on freeway (probably worst in Texas with their huge frontage roads)
  • Trailer/Truck signs (55mph) being recognized right after the auto limit of 65 or 70 (huge issue in Cali, not sure what other states)
  • School zones sudden 25mph when non-school hours or weekends (not sure why people were using cruise on a school zone street though?)
  • Curve speed recommendations being taken as limits (probably not a BAD thing but it could be sudden/unexpected)
I haven't had issues with the frontage road signs, school zone signs (ours are yellow and it seems to ignore them), or recommended speed signs (also yellow) being picked up, but I completely agree with the Truck speed limit signs. The back roads here are all posted with dual limits and they always post the truck limit after the normal limit. The Intelligent Cruise is set to 65, brakes to 55, has to be bumped back up to 65 manually, then I get to repeat it again in another mile or so. I switched back to Adaptive Cruise because of this.

OP
OP

Touchdwn

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited Power-Boost; 2018 Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Corporate Pilot; retired Air Traffic Controller

Sponsored

Trashman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Limited Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
In general I love using ACC but there is one place in Tulsa that you come out of construction from 55 to new nice road that is 80 but sign doesn't change for a mile WATCH OUT you will get run over great place to floor it

Smash

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Limited Powerboost
Occupation
Power Plant Operator
I really like the ICC idea and hope to see it improved over the coming years but agree that it still has a number of bugs to work out. It must use a combination of cameras and GPS inputs to determine the speed. I was changing freeways on one of my first trips using ICC. The posted speed limit was 60 mph so I was cruising at 65 mph. As I started down the ramp to the other highway, and even though there are no speed signs anywhere to be seen, the truck convinced itself that the speed limit was 70 mph and started accelerating. This was at just the moment when the bend sharpens and I would need to slow down! Fortunately, my foot was already moving toward the brake pedal and I got control of things quickly. It was a little startling to feel the truck rev up unexpectedly. Funny thing is that the highway I was changing to also has a speed limit of 60 mph so I don’t know why the GPS would choose a higher speed limit for the ramp between them.

Reeltime

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2018 Murano
Occupation
IT Consultant
The adaptive cruise has worked well for the little I have used it so far but one thing I did notice is that the speed limit indicator will occasionally appear on the far right of the speedometer versus at the corresponding position on the speedo. I'm guessing that indicates some sort of uncertainty by the system but there is nothing in the manual about this. Any ideas?
Speed moves to the far right when using sync navigation

JeffC57

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F-150 Lariat Sport 4x4 SCab, '18 Linc MKZ Hyb
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I discovered a problem with the speed limit recognition system today on a 250 mile interstate trip. Some bridges/overpasses have a weight limit sign. The speed limit recognition system incorrectly interprets weight limit signs as speed limit signs. Several times I was in a 70 MPH zone and drove over a bridge with a 60 ton weight limit sign. The system dropped my speed down to 60 MPH. Very alloying.
Note to Ford software engineers-Tons is not equal to MPH.
I hope this bug gets fixed before the Blue Cruise rollout.

Sponsored

Cessnadog

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
I discovered a problem with the speed limit recognition system today on a 250 mile interstate trip. Some bridges/overpasses have a weight limit sign. The speed limit recognition system incorrectly interprets weight limit signs as speed limit signs. Several times I was in a 70 MPH zone and drove over a bridge with a 60 ton weight limit sign. The system dropped my speed down to 60 MPH. Very alloying.
Note to Ford software engineers-Tons is not equal to MPH.
I hope this bug gets fixed before the Blue Cruise rollout.
I have the exact same complaint. A bit shocking to be in traffc and have the truck suddenly decelerate from 75 headed to 55. I did step on the gas to stop it but I think this is dangerous.

JeffC57

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F-150 Lariat Sport 4x4 SCab, '18 Linc MKZ Hyb
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I have the exact same complaint. A bit shocking to be in traffc and have the truck suddenly decelerate from 75 headed to 55. I did step on the gas to stop it but I think this is dangerous.
Thanks for confirming that other trucks are having the same problem. I sent an email to Ford Customer Care. I'll share any responses I get.
Sponsored