First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited Power-Boost; 2018 Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Corporate Pilot; retired Air Traffic Controller
I have been using the speed limit recognition and I really like it, but you have to watch it. It seems that every time I pass an entrance for an express toll lane without entering, it picks up the higher speed limit for the express toll lane and accelerates. I’m fairly certain law enforcement won’t buy that as an excuse.
Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I have been using the speed limit recognition and I really like it, but you have to watch it. It seems that every time I pass an entrance for an express toll lane without entering, it picks up the higher speed limit for the express toll lane and accelerates. I’m fairly certain law enforcement won’t buy that as an excuse.
Does this system use cameras to read the road signs? Or does it use GPS and map data (where it knows posted limits)?

I use the bay area FasTrak system so I should be ok but this sounds scary if you aren't ready for it!

OP
OP

Touchdwn

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Best I can tell, it uses cameras to read the signs. The 75 mph speed signs on the express lane are usually right next to the normal road. The the speed will pick up to the 75 mph speed sign for about a quarter of a mile until the next speed limit sign and it slows down again. I have even had it slow down for a construction zone. I have also seen it slow to 40 mph unexpectedly. It has happened in the same place twice and I think it is reading the access road speed limit sign.

BuffaloBill

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Powerboost
Can you turn off speed sign recognition, or just have it show on the dash but not have the speed adjust automatically?

OP
OP

Touchdwn

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Yes, you can turn it off.

Sponsored

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
I finally tried the cruise control yesterday. I'm not sure that I like it yet. It's a significant change from what I had in the Ram. I don't like the steering feel and if I relaxed my hands, it would warn me to hold the wheel.. So I held it and let it "fight" for control. Hope I get used to it.
I have the speed limit reading on (not sure where you turn it on or off in the menus) and it slows down too fast for the traffic around me when I came to a drop from 70 mph to 55 mph. I had vehicles flying by as they don't immediately drop speed.
Anyway, it's new so I'll give it a while before I make a decision whether it is good or not.

tonesto7

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat 502A | 3.5L PowerBoost
Occupation
IT Admin | Software Developer
I finally tried the cruise control yesterday. I'm not sure that I like it yet. It's a significant change from what I had in the Ram. I don't like the steering feel and if I relaxed my hands, it would warn me to hold the wheel.. So I held it and let it "fight" for control. Hope I get used to it.
I have the speed limit reading on (not sure where you turn it on or off in the menus) and it slows down too fast for the traffic around me when I came to a drop from 70 mph to 55 mph. I had vehicles flying by as they don't immediately drop speed.
Anyway, it's new so I'll give it a while before I make a decision whether it is good or not.
I believe you can change the cruise control options under the center display. If it's in intelligent cruise control it will adapt to speed signs. You can change it to basic adaptive cruise control and it should just use the radar/cameras to maintain your desired speed.

spud_41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 502a, Lead Foot 3.5L EB Fx4
I just keep my hand on the wheel around 4-5 o'clock and jiggle it every little bit, the truck drives me and though I have my hand on the wheel I'm not actually steering.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Very retired
I just keep my hand on the wheel around 4-5 o'clock and jiggle it every little bit, the truck drives me and though I have my hand on the wheel I'm not actually steering.
I'm not too crazy about it steering. I'm fine with the adaptive cruise part.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Very retired
I believe you can change the cruise control options under the center display. If it's in intelligent cruise control it will adapt to speed signs. You can change it to basic adaptive cruise control and it should just use the radar/cameras to maintain your desired speed.
Yes, I'm going to need to sit in the truck a while and sort through the speed control area. I don't want it steering itself. I'm OK with adaptive cruise, although that gets you slowed and after a bit I'll realize it's 5 mph under what I set it at because I crept up to a slower car.

Sponsored

Reeltime

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2018 Murano
Occupation
IT Consultant
I like the lane centering feature. It does take a little time to get used to it.

Popeye

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'96 F-150 Lariat; 2020 Explorer XLT
Occupation
Retired project manager
I had some "quirks" develop with the Intelligent Cruise Control "speed limit recognition" feature following a service visit for other issues. There are some areas where the system now "ignores" the posted 45MPH speed (after initially respecting it) and reverts to the previous 55MPH limit. Dealership service folks cannot explain this. In one area (posted 55) the car interpreted it at 70MPH and lurched forward accordingly. Again... the service folks are clueless after spending several days on it and finally changing out the image processing module that works with the forward-looking camera. Anyone else seeing similar "quirks"?

Greyhound

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Sport Powerboost
The adaptive cruise has worked well for the little I have used it so far but one thing I did notice is that the speed limit indicator will occasionally appear on the far right of the speedometer versus at the corresponding position on the speedo. I'm guessing that indicates some sort of uncertainty by the system but there is nothing in the manual about this. Any ideas?
Sponsored