Sponsored

If you had to order again would you still get the PowerBoost motor?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I would like to use the Hotspot, but if Ford let us run everything necessary to power the Hotspot, it would include a few modules at least, and that would inevitably lead to folks with not enough battery to start the truck.

Then we'd be complaining about how stupid Ford is to let the feature run the battery down.

At least on the Powerboost if you were camping and wanted the WiFi for a couple of hours you could do so with as little as 5 minutes of actual motor running. That in itself is extraordinary. We can be hard to impress these days.
Sponsored

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
And it is the 7.4kw system

FD72A669-F569-46A4-B8DF-B5BCB3C937EC.jpeg
Ford F-150 If you had to order again would you still get the PowerBoost motor? FD72A669-F569-46A4-B8DF-B5BCB3C937EC
The electrician installed a plug for a 120 volt 30 amp generator. He has a 2 pole breaker in your panel and I am guessing he has run a 10/2 wire and connected the 2 poles together on the breaker, ( just a guess without seeing inside your panel). You require a 10/3 romex (I think that is what you call it in the US.) wire run from the 120/240 volt 30 amp twist lock plug that is needed on the outside of your home as in the picture.
Ford F-150 If you had to order again would you still get the PowerBoost motor? 71NQG-uHDJL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_ML2_

EDIT: Had a closer look at your breaker that he installed. He has a 40 amp breaker so he may have ran #8's. Getting a 8/2 cable is hard as it is not common, so he may have ran a 8/3 which means all you would have to do is change the outside plug and make sure he didn't jumper the breaker in the panel. He would have done that to supply power to both sides or phases in your panel from a 120 volt source.

Last edited:

jofo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost 502A Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Engineer
I wanted to follow up with my original post and report back. After getting the latest TSP update, getting my broken drivers seat fixed, and my blown ceiling speaker replaced, my Truck is now running like a new truck should. I want to be clear that I absolutely love the truck. It drives like a dream. It’s all of the debugging and growing pains that got me soured. I was very close to trading down to a 3.5 more basic XLT, but the insulting offer I got from the dealer turned out to be a blessing.

My final thought on this is To proceed with caution. The PB is an incredible achievement, but it did not come without some initial flaws. A few miles behind the wheel and you’ll see why these are so hard to get though.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
6 months ago, I would have swapped my Powerboost for an Ecoboost but lack of inventory of models I would swap to forced me to keep what I have. Now, I did stumble across a Limited and I would need to write a check for somewhere around $20,000 +/-. Not about to do that. And, since finally getting the new drive motor, it's been running decent, I now have fully operational BlueCruise. So it'll stick around.
When I'm really ready to trade? I'm not sure what I will replace it with. It'll likely be a some sort of pickup.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It's frustrating to have ANY kind of brand new expensive vehicle that has issues. Especially if the issue involves the dealership experience and all the inconveniences and frustrations that can come with that.

But if you have a perfectly functioning vehicle, and it's a Powerboost F150, it's hard to beat. I'm way past the initial honeymoon period of Powerboost ownership and still feel like a little kid with his dream toy everytime I climb in it. I've had a lot of vehicles in my 1/2 century of driving. But this is only the second time one had me near giddy day after day.

Sponsored

jofo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Snakebitten
Same here for me. my Buick Grand National was my only other vehicle that made me grin from ear to ear.
My two favorite parts of my day are the drive in and drive home for work. I even take long way 1/2 the time so I can get a few more minutes of giddiness.

jofo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Oh and that was 35 years ago!

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Snakebitten
Same here for me. my Buick Grand National was my only other vehicle that made me grin from ear to ear.
My two favorite parts of my day are the drive in and drive home for work. I even take long way 1/2 the time so I can get a few more minutes of giddiness.
That's amazing. I was referring to an 1984 SVO Mustang and so VERY similar to you, 38 years ago. 🤣

I impulse purchased it off the showroom and it was surrounded by velvet rope and not allowed to be touched. Witnessing them removing the obstacle for little Ole ME to be allowed to get in it is a cherished memory. I was an invisible middle child in a big family. So....... It was MY day.

That's what I just compared this amazing Powerboost to. I can't pay a bigger compliment. :)

jofo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
The Buick GN / Mustang GT rivalry was epic in the late 80s. Fond memories indeed! I think my father would flip in his grave if he knew I went to the “dark side”. He was GM through and through.

McGuyver

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra, Grand National
Good to see the Grand National reference, I have one in the garage and a Powerboost on order

Sponsored

mbouck3

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda clarity, 2005titan 2022f150 powerboost
Occupation
just retired
I'll stick with my Powerstroke baby Diesel engine and make sure there is plenty of battery trucks left for the Californians.
I live in Fl. And tow a airboat with it, that's about as far from Californian as you can get

Jimi

First Name
Jimi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat Powerboost 502a Sport appearance
Occupation
Owner/Driver
No regrets at all. I can't imagine not having a hybrid again actually (as long as they are all similar to the Powerboost). The bump in HP and torque are awesome, and the MPG advantage, while slight, will add up over time and is great. Best part is what was said above, being able to be parked in the car comfortably and have the engine off while sacrificing none of the creature comforts. I used to hate waiting outside a store or in pickup lines for kids because I knew it was just a waste of gas. Now it really doesn't matter. Also driving around a parking lot in electric is neat. Everything is so quiet and smooth. At stop lights, the few times my engine is running to warm up when I am stopped, its jarring to hear and feel the engine running. Ive gotten so used to the hybrid that I don't notice it doing its thing. The move from electric to gas while taking off or driving just feels like a gear shift. Unless there's long term usability problems that have yet to be discovered (I don't expect them, but it is fairly new tech), I wouldn't buy anything else again.
Thanks for your reply, it really helps me out. Because, I have ordered a 2023 lariat sport 502a package with the PB, and your comments ease my mind about this new technology in the F150.

Jimi

First Name
Jimi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat Powerboost 502a Sport appearance
Occupation
Owner/Driver
Depends on what you are using that requires power I assume, but I have sat in the truck with the heater set to 70, heated seats, heated steering wheel, lights, and radio all on and the truck will start once or twice in a 30 minute period for about a minute each time. It just turns on to charge the batteries back up and then shuts itself off again. Its great. And it's well below freezing where I live right now, so I imagine the batteries aren't performing at their peek because of the cold.
That's fantastic

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
I absolutely. To date (knock on wood) it has done everything I've wanted it to do.

RCR001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
I have had Zero issues with my 21 PB, In fact i have another one ordered and i might not take it, it has a few options i don't want, This one is a pleasure to drive...Unless I'm towing my 16 foot cargo trailer then I'm miserable! :cool:

Ford F-150 If you had to order again would you still get the PowerBoost motor? 20211019_120346
Sponsored