Sponsored

Driving cross country with camper. Would you run truck overnight?

grubbster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
I am going to be taking a cross country trip with my camper. We are planning to do one night stops and I was wondering if I need to to turn the truck off to "rest" for the night or if it would be too stressful to leave it on to take advantage of the generator overnight. Plan to be on the road for about 10 hours each day. I know the engine cycles off/on while using the generator, but am concerned about the stress on the engine. I would love to be able to run the camper A/C overnight.
Sponsored

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
That is why rest was put in quotation marks.
It doesn't need "rest" either. :)

Extended service does have procedures. Check the fluids, don't let it get hot. Preferably parked level-ish.

Beyond that, not sure what you're worried about.

Sponsored

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
I am going to be taking a cross country trip with my camper. We are planning to do one night stops and I was wondering if I need to to turn the truck off to "rest" for the night or if it would be too stressful to leave it on to take advantage of the generator overnight. Plan to be on the road for about 10 hours each day. I know the engine cycles off/on while using the generator, but am concerned about the stress on the engine. I would love to be able to run the camper A/C overnight.
I’m no expert, but letting it idle after climbing hills etc. probably helps dissipate heat. I ran my PB for 9 hours in generator mode as a test a few weeks ago and it worked smoothly. Engine cycled and stayed warm just like it should. I think you are planning on using the powerboost exactly as designed. Safe trip!

Pelican

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat (502A) Supercrew 3.5L EcoBoost
Occupation
Financial Management
I agree with Samson16. Also, if the truck is under warranty, leaving it run would be a great test to determine if the truck has any hidden issues that Ford can fix while under warranty.

Best wishes on your journey!

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
In the fall, I go to all Va Tech home football games. I drive up to Salem (188 miles) the night before, plug in the TT for the night, and then continue up the mountain (32 miles) for the weekend, where I continue to run the truck, providing power for the TT. After the weekend I drive all 220 miles back home. I've seen no ill effects.

You should be good to go.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
I've seen no ill effects.
Well, the teams' lack of performance has turned you into an angry muppet from the looks of things ;)

Sponsored

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
Well, the teams' lack of performance has turned you into an angry muppet from the looks of things ;)
Based strictly on the teams performance, it would be easy to turn into an 😡 Muppet.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
This is EXACTLY what sets the Powerboost apart from anything else called a pickup truck!

And there's an argument to be made that a Powerboost that experienced only 1 heat cycle over 2 weeks VS one that experienced 14 heat cycles.... The first faired better in many ways. :)

Have a great trip and report in with us! :)

OP
OP

grubbster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
Leaving soon. Thanks for the well wishes. Should be a great trip and a good test of the truck. I'll report back with any observations or issues.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I gotta admit that something about his description triggered my envy button. Suddenly I want to hitch up and roll!
No itinerary and zero reservations. Afterall, it's a rolling grid.
Sponsored