First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 4x4 Supercrew XL 3.5 Ecoboost
Occupation
Journeyman Millwright
My brother has a 2020 150 w/5.0, he changes his oil every 4k, at 16k miles it started using a little oil. At around 32k it was getting worse so he took it to the dealership and they started documenting the oil usage and changing it for him. The oil usage has continued to get worse, now that the truck has 42k on it it now uses from full to ¹/⁴" below the bottom hole on the dipstick. Ford has told him 3 weeks ago that they will now replace it and it wont be in until after the first of the year. Today the dealership says that he has to show proof of all his oil changes. My question is, doing your own oil changes yourself, can this be frowned upon by Ford Warranty?
Sponsored

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo
They certainly CAN void the warranty if there's obvious signs that he has not been doing maintenance. But that would be like sludge and obvious wear.

If he bought the oil change supplies at an auto parts store, have them look up his purchases in their system.

Also, holy overkill on he oil changes, batman...

OP
OP
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 4x4 Supercrew XL 3.5 Ecoboost
Occupation
Journeyman Millwright
I agree, I said the same thing, I said at least go 5k and rotate your tires every time. One thing I forgot to mention, his truck now uses nearly 2 qts per every 1500 miles. He's been using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and Napa Gold filters until the oil consumption got worse and now he's using Motorcraft Synthetic Blend and their filters as well since the dealer has been doing the service for the past 8k miles. Thanks for any advice for me to pass on to him.

Je1279

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT 5.0 SuperCrew 4x4 BAP
A while back I heard that the short block for the gen 3 F150 5.0 was no longer available through Ford. Hopefully, that is not the case or maybe they are replacing it with a gen 4?

Last edited:

Polo08816

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 BMW 335i
My brother has a 2020 150 w/5.0, he changes his oil every 4k, at 16k miles it started using a little oil. At around 32k it was getting worse so he took it to the dealership and they started documenting the oil usage and changing it for him. The oil usage has continued to get worse, now that the truck has 42k on it it now uses from full to ¹/⁴" below the bottom hole on the dipstick. Ford has told him 3 weeks ago that they will now replace it and it wont be in until after the first of the year. Today the dealership says that he has to show proof of all his oil changes. My question is, doing your own oil changes yourself, can this be frowned upon by Ford Warranty?

Sponsored

DrZoidberg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Tremor Ordered
Your warranty can’t be voided if you did it right by yourself. It’s literally against the law.

The fact that Ford is trying to duck this known issue is comical. It’s sad a multi billion dollar corporation is trying to screw a customer out of a known issue fix by placing the burden of proof even after the fact of visiting the dealer and having them document it

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
If you don't have proof or documentation you changed oil, they can/may void warranty.

My son has a 2019 Elantra, motor just locked up at 62k...they said we had to prove oil changes. Dealers notate and its recorded, but some fly by night oil shops do not, nor do you, unless you upload files and receipts into Carfax.
So Hyundai dealer told me it may end up needing to be documented. So finally just had car towed to the dealership he bought it at 68 miles away, and they just replaced short block.
So you may have to prove oil changes were completed.
Took 3 months before it was returned.

diambo4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Screw 4x4
Occupation
Assassin
I am not even sure why people risk this. Any new car I have, I have the dealership do the oil changes. It's actually pretty affordable in most cases. My GMC truck it was actually the same cost them doing my oil change than me doing it myself. They will always send you coupons and what not (they want to service your vehicle!) but at least if shit goes south, there are NO questions on maintenance routine. My wife's 22 Jeep Compass came with 3 courtesy oil changes. She is going in for her 2nd one tomorrow...at 6500 miles. My oil change interval is more conservative than even the Dealer's but I don't care, I bought warranty and expect them to take care of if anything ever happened with the car. My truck will be going in for an oil change in Feb.;The second one. It only has 2100 miles.

Superstock 3740

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Edge Titanium 2023 Ford F150 Platinum (order)
Occupation
Retired Maintenance Worker Post/Ralston Foods (President UE Local 718) .
This is why I make the appointments and run my vehicles, no matter what brand to the local dealership while they are under the 3 year 36. And I'm a retired fleet mechanic that is more than capable. After the 3-36 I take over, but I use Amsoil Signature Series of the recommended weights.
I have a friend that had a Z06 Corvette, and the dealership took oil samples. After analyzation they found he did not follow the recommended warning labels that are plainly visible on the valve covers and would not cover the cost.

Sponsored

Static

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 - 2021 XL 4x4 Supercab
My issue is that when I took a previous vehicle to a dealer for an oil change they forgot to put the oil cap back on, and when I called them out on it they didn't care. That's when I realized that I am the only person I trust to do the maintenance right because I am the only person that cares about my truck. I am not sure why people risk letting a dealership anywhere near their vehicle, shit has gone south and they demonstrated no interest or ability to deal with it.

diambo4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Screw 4x4
Occupation
Assassin
100%! More than capable to do my own as well.
My issue is that when I took a previous vehicle to a dealer for an oil change they forgot to put the oil cap back on, and when I called them out on it they didn't care. That's when I realized that I am the only person I trust to do the maintenance right because I am the only person that cares about my truck. I am not sure why people risk letting a dealership anywhere near their vehicle, shit has gone south and they demonstrated no interest or ability to deal with it.
Then you take it to another dealership and make sure you document a complaint and give them a negative review so other customers don't patronize the place. I don't think it's fair to paint all Dealers with the same "bad" brush. There are very good Dealerships out there who follow proper QC processes. Again, there's nothing wrong with doing a once over your vehicle before you leave the premises. Definitely give them a chance to earn your trust if you're so pessimistic about the process.

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
Amen to that! True story, I caved and took my 2020 F150 Plat to have the oil changed, they took my truck to do the work, I didn't want to wait in the service lounge (packed with people) so I walked around the service bays instead. I round the corner of the building and catch the fella that's going to do my oil change messing around with my truck! You know that little 2" raised lip your garage floor has where the garage door will sit in front of. Well they were pressing my front wheels against it to get up, accelerate a little, then off, on, repeat saying look how gutless this truck is, over and over! NEVER AGAIN!

At the end of the day the name on the door means nothing when the fellas in the back don't give a s!@t :mad:

Flash69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Platinum on order
I do all of my own oil changes and any work that needs to be done outside of warranty work. Too many things happen to my vehicles when I take them to ANY dealer.
1st, they could not be fast if they had a pit crew doing the work. There is a dealer in Austin that “schedules“ your work but in reality all they are scheduling is the day they will take in your vehicle. The last time I took a vehicle into this dealer it sat in the back lot for over 2 weeks before they even touched it. I brought it in when it was “scheduled”.

2nd, they always mess something up and say it was there before they got it. I’m very OCD and the kids they have doing stuff don’t give a damn. I understand most people treat a truck like a truck but I don’t. I treat my truck better than most people treat their luxury cars.

I have 3 issues with my brand new 2022 Platinum (only 1900 miles) that I am struggling with taking it to a dealer because I know they will scratch it, or something.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I don't trust the dealership to CARE about my truck nearly enough to let them service it. I also prefer a different oil than they would use. (justifiably)
It'd be different if they allowed eyes on the work being done, similar to how a Mazda dealership I have done business with is set up.

I keep receipts and with FordPass I upload them, as well as pictures with the date and odometer reading.
Sponsored