Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jacobhinkston.com
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor 5.0 401A
Occupation
Full-Stack Software Engineer
Between the 3.5 EcoBoost blocks cracking at cylinder #1 and the 5.0 having oil leaks at the block/oil filter housing attachment….2023 was not Fords year for QC on engines. I think you may be in for a new block. Hope they can make the turn around fast for you.
Yeah, so I've read. Really unfortunate. I've been a Ford guy my whole life. This F150 was my first vehicle purchase at the age of 25, after drooling over the Raptor since it's conception as a high-schooler. This was my Budget approach to building a raptor of my own. This leaves a very foul taste in my mouth.

Either way, the Consumer always wins. I'm hoping that Ford just replaces the entire block, like you said.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jacob.hinkston

jacob.hinkston

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jacobhinkston.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Called up Ford, I was advised to have another dealer look at it, have an appointment . This would get me to the 3/4 attempted repairs for lemon law. Vehicle has already been gone for a month, this attempt will likely bring it to 6 weeks. I am doubtful that this other dealer is going to be able to fix it.

Had a lot of time to think about my options going forward. Right now, a buyback or a full-replacement would be great. I love the Coyote, I HATE the 10R. I started having some very strange transmission issues. Feels like there is a loss of power. Was offroad the other day and had to floor it to get out of a mess. Engine gave me no power, not even a rev. Complete loss of throttle. I really hate drive-by-wire. This thing drives like sh*t. Transmission skipping gears, jolting, jittering, hard shifts and weak acceleration.

I think I got a lemon. Is it worth sticking for Ford? or should I buy an older truck

LTaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT F150
I bought a new 2023 xlt 12/2/23. I noticed an oil leak at 700 miles that turned out to be the rear main seal. After the seal was replaced it was still leaking and the 5.0 engine is being replaced. I traded a 2019 F150 with an internal transmission problem at 37K miles for the 23. I would move away from Ford if I were you. Unfortunately, I am stuck for now. I have been buying Fords for 40 years. This is my sixth F150 but I won't buy another Ford.

OP
OP
jacob.hinkston

jacob.hinkston

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jacobhinkston.com
Vehicles
Occupation
I bought a new 2023 xlt 12/2/23. I noticed an oil leak at 700 miles that turned out to be the rear main seal. After the seal was replaced it was still leaking and the 5.0 engine is being replaced. I traded a 2019 F150 with an internal transmission problem at 37K miles for the 23. I would move away from Ford if I were you. Unfortunately, I am stuck for now. I have been buying Fords for 40 years. This is my sixth F150 but I won't buy another Ford.
Sorry to hear that. My family, and by extension me, have been Ford owners since before I was born: ~25 years. Of all the Fords we have bought, this is the only one that made its way into the shop under 5000 miles. It’s been fixed twice already, still waiting for the [different] dealer to fix it for the third time. I have been without my brand new F150 for 2 months.

if they cannot fix this the third time, I will demand full buyback and I will never buy a Ford again. It seems like they have been in fast decline. Looking forward to the new Tacoma, might give it a shot.

Murrk847

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 5.0 F150 STX
I understand your anger but unless you are going to go with a pre turbo tundra, then youll just be trading one problem for another. Id have them swap my whole block before Id switch to a 3.5 Twin turbo tundra or anything GM.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jacob.hinkston

jacob.hinkston

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jacobhinkston.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Update:

The second dealer (3rd fix attempt) finally got it up on the lift and dropped the tranny once more. They found that my crank-shaft was scored/gouged/damaged, likely right where the crank-retainer would have been. A new crank retainer was installed by the first dealer on the second attempt, of which made the oil leak worse.

Given the fact that no one else has had this issue / no recalls, I either 1) Got a bad crank from factory or 2)The retainer was installed incorrectly the second fix attempt thus damaging the crank shaft.

The solution offered by the Dealer is a new 5.0, at 4800 miles (still has temp plates).

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
I thought it was going to be a marred crank or seal housing. They probably marred it trying to install the first crank seal, which then will destroy every seal after. Very likely your first seal was defective, then the dealer damaged it trying to go back in. Main seals are a PAIN to replace.

OP
OP
jacob.hinkston

jacob.hinkston

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jacobhinkston.com
Vehicles
Occupation
I thought it was going to be a marred crank or seal housing. They probably marred it trying to install the first crank seal, which then will destroy every seal after. Very likely your first seal was defective, then the dealer damaged it trying to go back in. Main seals are a PAIN to replace.
Rear main's are a PAIN to replace is right. Who would have known? My vehicle has been away from me for almost 3 months now, for the malfunction of a $16 piece of plastic and now it needs a new engine :ROFLMAO:.

I also just got word from the second dealer that the vehicle's cab was damaged taking it off the chassis (dealer fault). I was also informed that there are 3 parts that are on order now because they were broken upon pulling them off:

1. https://www.oemfordpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/ford-manifold-gasket-fr3z9448a
2. https://www.oemfordpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/ford-cover-f3ly6c070a
3. https://www.oemfordpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/ford-breather-tube-ml3z7a246a

I've got my popcorn out.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
@jacob.hinkston
I feel your your pain, but mine is Chevrolet related.
Just had an engine rebuilt buy a guy that has already done 3 for me.
This one is for my 66 ElCamino.
Rear main one piece seal, leaked like sieve for about 400 miles and the oil pump pegged my gauge and started leaking inside the car.
More aggravated about pulling engine again than I am about the leak and high pressure. Builder replaced the pump, and I went ahead and changed the seal. This was my first disappointment with an engine from him, and had nothing to do with the engine build, just a mistaken part install.
Pulled it on Thursday, reinstalled on Sunday. I’m getting too old for this.
On another note, my 5.0 has been virtually flawless since Feb ‘21 delivery. Looking at 39k miles now and has not released a drop of oil anywhere, has not used any oil between changes. Goes like a bandit and is averaging 20mpg over its lifetime.
Transmission aLso sorted itself out over time. Took awhile, but it got better and better with no Ford intervention. I think it still may be adjusting

kkirby7226

First Name
Kraig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150
Add another one to the list, my newly acquired 2023 has been at the dealer since parts came in Feb 1 to replace oil pan gasket, then rear main and ultimately now waiting on full engine replacement. Noticed oily sheen on the garage floor since it was brought home, finally took it in less than 3000 miles on engine. Disappointed in Ford quality on a legacy engine. Traded my 2020 with the 3.5 at 135k, never saw the inside of the shop for anything other than routine maintenance.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jacob.hinkston

jacob.hinkston

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jacobhinkston.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Add another one to the list, my newly acquired 2023 has been at the dealer since parts came in Feb 1 to replace oil pan gasket, then rear main and ultimately now waiting on full engine replacement. Noticed oily sheen on the garage floor since it was brought home, finally took it in less than 3000 miles on engine. Disappointed in Ford quality on a legacy engine. Traded my 2020 with the 3.5 at 135k, never saw the inside of the shop for anything other than routine maintenance.
UPDATE for thread:
Got my truck back last Friday, brand new motor, runs good, no leaks.
----------------------------------------------------
Sorry to hear that, I think this is a very rare issue. Did they tell you why it needs a new motor exactly? Same issue as me?

kkirby7226

First Name
Kraig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150
They replaced rear main and it still had a small oil leak so decided to replace the engine. Didn’t give me a reason why maybe the same porosity issue they had in front of the block occurred in the back as well? I have had a dealer vehicle longer than I had the new truck.

OP
OP
jacob.hinkston

jacob.hinkston

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jacobhinkston.com
Vehicles
Occupation
They replaced rear main and it still had a small oil leak so decided to replace the engine. Didn’t give me a reason why maybe the same porosity issue they had in front of the block occurred in the back as well? I have had a dealer vehicle longer than I had the new truck.
Yeah, I feel your frustration. Mine started leaking at 1500 miles (maybe sooner), it was at the first dealer for a month, and then the second over 2 months. I didn't even have a loaner the first month and a half.

Really questioning Ford's QC on these new vehicles. I bought 5.0 because I had heard nothing but good things about it. At least the valve-trains aren't blowing up at 10K like some of the LT3s (5.3L) in new Silverados.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jacob.hinkston

jacob.hinkston

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jacobhinkston.com
Vehicles
Occupation
UPDATE for thread:

I think I owe the forum this much. This is the Technician's notes for what he found. Hopefully this will help speed-up diagnosis for other F150 owners with similar issues in the future.

Code:
TRANSMISSION BELLHOUSING AREA. TRANSMISSION HAS TO BE REMOVED TO CONTINUE DIAGNOSIS,
REMOVED THE TRANSMISSION ASSEMBLY 7000A USING WSM 307-01A REMOVED THE TRANSMISSION ASSEMBLY,
DURING THE TRANSMISSION REMOVAL IT WAS NOTICED THAT THE TRANSMISSION BREATHER TUBE IS MISSING
ALONG WITH THE PLUG IN THE ENGINE BLOCK FOR TORQUE CONVERTER NUT ACCESS AND THE TRANSMISSION
COOLER COOLANT TUBE HOLD DOWNS WERE LEFT LOOSE AT THE ENGINE.WITH THE TRANSMISSION REMOVED
CONTINUED THE OIL LEAK DIAGNOSIS USING A BLACK LIGHT, FOUND THAT THE THE LEAK IS COMING FROM
THE ENGINE REAR MAIN SEAL. THE SEAL WAS PREVIOUSLY REPLACED AT ANOTHER DEALER. THE TEST FOR
REPEAT SEAL FAILURE CHECKED CRANKSHAFT ENDPLAY THE MEASURED ENDPLAY IS 0.012 IN THE SPEC IS 0.
0033-0.167 IN FOUND THAT THE ENDPLAY IS NOT CAUSING THE CONCERN, REMOVED THE REAR ENGINE COVER AND
CRANKSHAFT SEAL TOGETHER AND INSPECTED THE ENGINE REAR MAIN SEAL, SEALING SURFACE.
EDIT: Yes, you read that right, missing/broken parts? Previous dealer was a mess. Moral of the story: Vet your dealers before you let them work on your vehicles. Broken/missing breather tube for a transmission is concerning.
Sponsored

Last edited: